Any info on these places?

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
Hey all I just returned from a major skunked trip from cali. I know these places have gold but where do you think the best places are to search? I went all over the place and found nails and tin and iron chunks from machinery..... but NO gold!!! I tried to imagine how and why these piles were made and it just doesn't make sense to me. I know long toms were used here with the monitors but how these piles were made doesn't seem to lend itself to a long tom?? Any info and insight would be greatly appreciated. The hole is a drain tunnel that got rid of the long tom tailing I think, no gold there either. I found bed rock in quite a few places and still nothing FOR PITTY SAKE!@!@! NVRADAR

Attachments

• DSC04678.JPG
    DSC04678.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC04694.JPG
    DSC04694.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 576
  • DSC04696.JPG
    DSC04696.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 0

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Believe the oversize was pitchforked out.You can also get the county mining reports or info from the local historical society,libraries etc and you should find your answer.

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
I guess using a pitchfork would explain why fellas have found quartz rocks with gold in them. MAN!! what a job!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those very piles are where you want to detect.Early methods were inefficient,and if you look at the Punch Plate(Classifying Plates)they used,the holes were usually 1"+so that means everything bigger went into those piles,and when that rock was coming out of the ground it wasnt clean....usually covered in red clay or dirt so it was easy to miss big gold

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Radar, Dave and Kuger are both well-versed in the gold prospecting biz! I will just add that the size of those tailing piles speaks VOLUMES of the amount of work and energy those old prospectors went through to collect the color! Your detector will very likely find that color, as Kuger mentioned. Also, ANY creek or stream in the Motherlode district of CA will get you some gold... only, if you want lots of gold you will have to move lots of dirt and rock. TTC

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
I wondered over every type of ground out there and still have that skunk with me! I just came back from another place with the same results.. found lots of .22 bullets so I know my machines are good. It just seems there is no pattern to how they went about it. The rock piles are going in all directions. I hit the bedrock,hill sides,moved boulders and searched underneath,boulder piles of all sizes,plain dirt,gravel piles etc..... If anybody knows the gist of how they worked these places I sure would like to understand it :dontknow: Thanks NVRADAR

Attachments

• DSC04747.JPG
    DSC04747.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC04767.JPG
    DSC04767.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 461

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry!How is the road treating ya??Hope your finding lots of yeller!!

Nv.There is no real set pattern,they were following the ancient river channels which appeared and disappeared,they "drifted".Also there is often different "generations",of material,and various periods they mined through.The Chinese were usually last,and didnt leave a whole lot.They were very patient and efficient.One can usually tell where they have been,there mining was more tidy and organized.Keep at it,it is not easy,and gold isnt just laying every where

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Davo!!I miss ya buddy!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Radar, I ALWAYS find color in Coyote Creek near here. Park at Natural Bridges Day Use Area. Walk down to the creek then (I like) up-stream. If you go there on a weekday, AVERT your eyes from the naked ladies that may be lounging at the creek! The two books pictured are GOOD! I bought both at the propecting store on Main St. in Jamestown, CA. Good people, there! The green one includes 5 detailed maps of the county. It was published in 1962, I think, but still very relative to the current activity. As the line from Indiana Jones goes, (if you are not finding gold) "They're digging in the wrong place!" C'mon back and try again. TTC

Attachments

• DSC05117.jpg
    DSC05117.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 434
  • DSC05116.jpg
    DSC05116.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 427

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one word of caution at Natural Bridges....unsavory group that frequent that spot and a rash of vandalism and broken into vehicles,but do as you wish!!

The Woods Creek bridge at Hwy.108 near Jamestown is safe

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuger said:
one word of caution at Natural Bridges....unsavory group that frequent that spot and a rash of vandalism and broken into vehicles,but do as you wish!!

The Woods Creek bridge at Hwy.108 near Jamestown is safe
Hey Kuger, Tnx for the reply! I met Dave at "Rodz" last year (two years ago?). He said he doesn't go out much anymore but I think he may have been just trying to "throw me off the scent". (Tisk tisk). Anyway, I always park up on the road at Natural Bridges. Haven't had a problem in 2 dozen visits. Not allot of color down there but ALWAYS some in the pan. BTW Radar, pan and sluice only at the Bridges. No motorized equipment. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Davo,wasnt B.S in ya,he cant get out much,he is a wealth of valuable knowledge though....dont tell him that,dont want him getting a big head!!j/k!!

Thats good you never had any prob,glad to hear that.I stay away from there,but always like people to know what they may be getting into.People these days...you never know what your going to encounter,especially with gold prices the way they are....be armed!!! :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be armed! Good advice, Kuger. 2 days ago I got my campfire permit at the Sonora office (Stan NF). I will go up to the sporting goods store in Arnold to get a fishing license and then I will walk 7 miles of the North Fork Stan, to the middle fork. The upper third, from 4N80Y, is wide open bedrock. Some is more than a 100 yards wide. I will take the GB2 with me, just for funnsies. And I WILL be armed! I just bought a high gloss, nickle finish 1911 A1.Maybe even find some gold! TTC UPDATE: For those following this post and scratching your head, 4N80Y is listed in Street Atlas USA as 4N03, Candy Rock Rd. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:
Spent my childhood running that canyon Terry,great fishing but no gold....watch for bears

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuger said:
:thumbsup:
Spent my childhood running that canyon Terry,great fishing but no gold....watch for bears
Yes! Here at Judy's 80 acres, above the Stan, we are more likely to see a bear coming down the drive than the neighbors. Very large turkey population too. Buster is getting very good at ferreting out those little goblers. Sad. I think the fishing will not start till I get to the Middle Fork. I believe the North Fork is closed. I'll check it out. Tnx. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kuger, just checked with Hathaway Pines. North Fork is open to fishing. Also, the area is open to detecting. Great day in the morning! TTC

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Hey guys thanks for all the replies and info :icon_thumright:

Kruger : I NEVER leave home without my lapdog Glock. I am confused about how the boulder piles were just piled in all different directions,kinda hard to tell where the sluice box went at times. Tell me if my thinking here is wrong ok... I figured they must have had a shovel to pile those massive boulders as high as they did, that said it would go that they shoveled some gravel with each boulder they piled. I know they couldn't handle those big rocks in the sluice box. The bigger boulders they piled probly picked up less gravel because of their size alone, smaller boulders probly picked up more gravel. :icon_scratch: Maybe the best to look under?

Dave: I use a minelab 2200d and a whites gm4b. Like I said I do find .22 bullets often.

TerryC : Those books look great so I'll see if I can locate them at the library or local book shop. I think your a good bit south of where I go... plumas,yuba,nevada,lassen counties to name a few. Wouldn't mind the nude ladies though!! :headbang:

Just for kicks I wanted to see the critter that made this hole. I was going to hit him good when he came out for the cheese! Thanks guys!

Attachments

• DSC04748.JPG
    DSC04748.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC04751.JPG
    DSC04751.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC04760.JPG
    DSC04760.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 430
OP
OP