Anyone use an SE Pro for prospecting

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Xterra 705, Surf PI DF
Just bought an SE Pro from a buddy that was overwhelmed with it. Had to call ML about a glitch with my XT705 and thought I would ask the tech about a good SE setting for prospecting. Disappointingly, he told me that the Explorer is not a good gold machine and that my 705 is a better choice for prospecting in the Mts. Anyone out there have success with one?
Thanks
Pete

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wyobuck said:
Just bought an SE Pro from a buddy that was overwhelmed with it. Had to call ML about a glitch with my XT705 and thought I would ask the tech about a good SE setting for prospecting. Disappointingly, he told me that the Explorer is not a good gold machine and that my 705 is a better choice for prospecting in the Mts. Anyone out there have success with one?
Thanks
Pete

No.

Minelab 705 is a VLF machine that needs specific coils for gold prospecting. We use Minelab GPX 4000 - 5000 machines for prospecting (pulse induction). Of course, if the nugget is big and shallow enough, you could find it with a Bounty Hunter!

OP
OP
wyobuck

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Xterra 705, Surf PI DF
Guess I should have read more on here. Well just have to get something else.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wyobuck said:

Three excellent VLF gold nugget hunters are the Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ; Fisher Goldbug II; and the Whites GMT. Good Luck! :headbang:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry Soloman said:
wyobuck said:

Three excellent VLF gold nugget hunters are the Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ; Fisher Goldbug II; and the Whites GMT. Good Luck! :headbang:
How about that new Gold Bug Pro ?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RIGHTEOUS RESULTS BY MANY. Amazing results with dual id but much confusion during introduction with no less than a half a dozen non working models--buy new would be my advice as first ones were dumped on the used market asap. New owners new games but folks who have pounded local areas up here with minelab,whites,tesoro are pulling POUNDAGE from missed targets--amazing as god awful minelab missed'm too-what a hoot-go VLF!!!John

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hoser John said:
RIGHTEOUS RESULTS BY MANY. Amazing results with dual id but much confusion during introduction with no less than a half a dozen non working models--buy new would be my advice as first ones were dumped on the used market asap. New owners new games but folks who have pounded local areas up here with minelab,whites,tesoro are pulling POUNDAGE from missed targets--amazing as god awful minelab missed'm too-what a hoot-go VLF!!!John
Are you saying that the new gold bug pro is pulling poundage out that the ,Whites , minelabs & tesoro missed ?

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yankin the chain, stirring the pot, Operater error :laughing7:

gold detectors are great now-a-days
do u buy online or get one from a dealer
have some backround on detectors
are ya a first timer, new to swingin
each detector has it learning curve

The GMT is full on just a great detector, Sub-grains
set to factory presets, auto trac, turn on, pump a couple of times, your balanced off and runnin wooooo hooo look at what somebody left behind
well it does get a little more serious then that
what i like about the GMT besides the onscreen display is the the Grab button, turn on the GMT, pump up and down a couple of times and switch over to track lock hit the grab button it will show the balance number and then use the plus or minis to adjust, if ya can find the hotfoot ( don't make em anymore)that is one killer Loop for the GM series

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SORRY?? The new GB is kicking butt all over the place--even by die hard minelab folks who have sold all their units,or retired them to the closet as 2nd use machines, because the gold bug newest model rocks their world. DUAL ID is exceptionally good. My newest addition will DEFINATELY be a new GB Pro- did I explain better???Christmas coming early for me this year maybe...John

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
TreasureGrabber said:
Hello Guys,
Check this discussion... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30253

Minelab is not so bad on gold... as told...

also try all metal mode... I mean true all metal... "pinpointing" mode..
I thought that was what you said the first time but was not sure..... OK now i get it...The New Gold Bug Pro is a very good prospecting detector............................. I talked to Minelab a while backand they told me that the Explorer Was not good for gold ....... The E-Trac was not good for gold........... And even the SovereignGT was not a good gold detector.......... And in the X-Terra detectors the only one they would recommend was the 705.............

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey All, The SE Pro is a very good Gold Finding unit but only in one certain application. I used one for years in some of my shallow diggings that were literally covered in old tin, iron and such. One area was exposed bedrock of which the blacksmith, and tin shop had been situated. The crevices had not been cleaned as good as they should have resulting in many pennyweight pieces being found by the SE Pro. I think I detected almost an ounce out of that place. The discrimination worked so well that I was able to completely blank out the trash metal and still hear anything above a pennyweight. As far as anything smaller its still there. I need to go back someday and work those cracks. Other than that one specific use I did not find the SE Pro to be a suitable gold machine. Hope this helps, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Oh, as far as the GB Pro I am a little over 7 ounces since I got mine so yes I think it is a fantastic little unit for beginners or old timers. You can see my posts about the GB Pro on Arizona Outback Forum listed under trinityau.

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trinityau,
what settings did you have on se for gold?

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Treasure Grabber, That has been a few years back. I think I had it on the basic coin program and set the discrimination to blank out the tin, thats all. Any area will be a little different as far as the disc setting but pretty close to the same. By going up and down on the discrimination you may be able to hear something a bit smaller but I would say a pennyweight is about it. It was very good in this application though. I have friends that have been using the Whites Spectra series V3i and doing the same thing except that they are getting pieces smaller than a pennyweight. Hope this helps, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trinityau,
thanks...

my targets are 1.5 gram nuggets too...

seems Minelab SE works for at least 1.5 gram nuggets...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions