Metal Detecting for gold in Colorado

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a White's GMT and Goldmaster V/sat. Others are using the Tesoro Lobo ST. Quite a few people are using White's MXT detectors as well. I know of some people using MineLab detectors too, but have not seen any in use while I was out. The mineralization is nasty where you find gold.

I go to lots of different places in Colorado. Most recently near Gateway Colorado (along the Delores River). In that case my wife detected and I dug any reasonable target and ran the classified dirt thru a drywasher. Very little trash there. Most other places we use a Sluice or High Banker.

My wife is handicapped and needs to use mobility devices to get around, but that has not stopped us from prospecting.

These pictures were from a recent club outing (GPAA club in Colorado Springs - http://www.cosgpaa.org/) to some claims our club has out near Gateway Colorado. The GPAA also has claims in the same area.

Other places: Cache Creek, and Derry Ranch (both near Leadville). Also down in the river/rocks near Alma and Fairplay.

I have recently started looking for Silver in tailings dumps as well. I stay off of active claims that I don't have permission to be on.

Attachments

• Gateway-Detecting1.jpg
    Gateway-Detecting1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,358
  • AltonAtDryWasher.jpg
    AltonAtDryWasher.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 921

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
JMoller99,

Great to see you out having fun prospecting with your wife. Nice pictures.

All the best,

Lanny

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, thats my wife, but I'm not running the dry washer (That's Alton Oakes - Colorado Springs GPAA/LDMA member - Claims Chairman).

Here are some pictures from this year at Derry Ranch - at the intersection of 82 and 24 (south of Leadville Colorado - Derry Ranch is a pay to dig site - Highway 24 is about 20 yards behind where I was standing to take the 1st 2 pictures - no hiking involved to get here - the last picture shows that to be the case). My Wife is digging/moving rocks on the ground, and Joel Sorensen running one of the 4 high bankers we had on the site. The 3rd picture is of other members about 50 yards down. Gold Prospecting clubs are a great way to learn how to use gear, prospect and get some exercise (and at this altitude, a sunburn). There are more handicapped people in the club than just my wife - everyone can help.

If you are trying to get into this hobby, it's always a good idea to find some one (or a club) to work with. It will save you a lot of time and you will probably get more gold as a result.

I used my Whites GMT while we were there. I used it to find promising places to dig (and found mostly iron/steel trash) - this was a site run thru by a large bucket dredge 50 or more years ago.

We have all gotten gold at all of our club outings this year.

Attachments

• LookingTheOtherWay-DerryRanch.jpg
    LookingTheOtherWay-DerryRanch.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,093
  • GPAAMembers1-DerryRanch.jpg
    GPAAMembers1-DerryRanch.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,225
  • Joel-DerryRanch.jpg
    Joel-DerryRanch.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Debbie1-DerryRanch.jpg
    Debbie1-DerryRanch.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,199

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oops! Sorry about that.

Great pictures of your outings--being with a club is a great way to get started for sure. I've found some pretty cool artifacts in dredge tailings in Montana--the dredge went right through a couple of old town sites!!

All the best,

Lanny

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And some pictures from Cache Creek (look for YouTube Videos for more information - lots of people work it - its a free to dig BLM site - 14 days max camping allowed). People see some bears there. The last 200 yards can be muddy and steep in places to drive thru.

I used my Whites GMT there to look for places to dig. Many people dig over by the creek, but I have heard that the best stuff is yet to be found on the side that not many people look at (to the west). The place was Hydraulic Mined in the 1890's thru around 1911 - as a result, has very little vegetation in many places.

Attachments

• CacheCreek1.jpg
    CacheCreek1.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,441
  • CacheCreek2.jpg
    CacheCreek2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,257
  • CacheCreek3.jpg
    CacheCreek3.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,273
  • CacheCreek4.jpg
    CacheCreek4.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,370

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great information and shots, thanks!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread