What is Best Metal Detector to search for gold in shallow creek under $900

GarryinFL

Greenie
Oct 7, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I'm getting into this gold prospecting hobby and am researching different metal detectors but would like advise from experienced gold prospectors and hobbist on their opinion for the best MD searching for gold in a shallow creek. I don't want a MD that is so specialized that it culls everything but gold because I might want to use it to search for other metals as well. I am purchasiing some property in Ga that has a creek on two sides. An old gold mining ditch is on the property. I don't know if there was ever any gold found there but I figure I'll do a little searching in the creek but want to select a reasonable priced MD that will work in shallow water. I was thinking about the White's GMT metal detector but was not sure if submerging the coil under water might damage the detector. Will creek water (not saltwater) impede the ability of a metal detctor from detecting metals that is not specfically made for searching in water? Thanks. GarryinFL

Upvote 0

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Garry, If you have a lot of bedrock along the creek and the channel itself is running on exposed bedrock then a detector may help you in finding the gold. I have been using the GB Pro for this myself. Too many things to go over here , however if you go to the Arizona Outback Forum or Rob's Nuggethunting forum and look over my posts (trinityau) they may be helpful. You will also see many other posts about it and be able to learn about other VLF'S also.

If you do not have that exposed bedrock in the water channel itself or very close to the surface on the banks then I would say that a detector may not be of much aid to you.

The GB Pro can be purchased for a little under $600.00 and is an excellent Gold detector for beginners or old timers. It also can be used for many other aspects of detecting. Hope this helps, shoot me a PM if you would like to call me and talk. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a email from Ray with dozens a pix and impressive. My only caveat would be is-working creeks you WILL FALL DOWN as absolutely impossible not to as slick,slimy,rough and uneven. A garrett infiniumn would allow more variety--beaches and in the water so waves don't get ya and no feedback on new gb pro on conductive salt water beaches. Only 1 from a new owner and he was not impressed but like all units takes trial and error to figure'm out and RAY HAS and finding righteous chunks in areas pounded by him with a all other brands too-cool-John :headbang:

goldguy

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2007
I have been very quiet in this forum for the past 3 or 4 years, and now's the time to chip in. Firstly, my thanks to Trinityau for his writings. It is mainly because of him that I own a GB Pro. The machine has given rock-solid and stellar performance. In the past 5 months, it has more than paid for itself (the fastest to profitability among all my machines).

To prevent moisture getting into the electronics while wading (or when accidentally dipped into the water), get a heavy-duty ziplock bag, make holes for the mounting and cable, and cover holes securely with electrical tape after getting the bag on. Add a sachet of silica gel to the bag to absorb any moisture within. It's not pretty and you will have to unzip the bag to turn a knob properly, but it works.

About salt-water performance: when in rough water, there will be some slight chatter as waves roll by. Your ears will easily adapt to that. It balances easily on wet sand or when the coil's in the water. Needless to say performance in brackish and fresh water is very good.

There is a new 10" coil with cable over 6 foot long which I have ordered. The cable's long enough for you to chest-mount or affix the electronics to your headphones (Detector Pro-style). Happy hunting!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx much,with depression in full force not many folks have spent the money on newer machines and feedback hard to find,except corporate trolls and not users like TAU-thanx again-John

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Just another vote for the Infinium.
Not affected by water (waterproof to 200 feet)
Not affected by black sand.
Tuned for finding gold.
I bought a used one for just over $800.
There you go!
Rich

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If ya can find it ( no longer manufacture ) but is a great detector
Shadow X5 by Troy
it is perfect for water hunting nuggets, water resistant had o-rings placed on the knobs and toggles even the headphone jack.
found tiny nuggets with it myself with the DD, never had to worry about a slip in the river

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might give the Minelab Xterra 705 a look, I use it for finding small nuggets in NM but its also great for coins and jewelry in the parks, etc. It's a good all around detector and is sensitive on the small stuff.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some small nuggett and nothing was picking it up then recieved my minelab 705 from Hosensack Miller DMZ detector sales and it picks up the small stuff I have so I know if it is picking up this stuff I will find more in the field we are suppose to goo to the gold camp tomorrow I will keep you informed

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Everybody has their favorites for machines but the one that I would reccommend is a machine that with computerized voice will tell you where to place your coil to find a gold nugget! :laughing7:

I use a TDI and a MXT and have found nuggets with the MXT as well as diamond rings, gold rings, and silver rings. With the salt select feature on the MXT and turned on, it is unaffected by the salts on the east coast of Florida where the salt concentrations are high. The TDI is a PI machine and is unaffected by high mineral concentration or salt.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting thread and information guys!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
G

GarryinFL

Greenie
Oct 7, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Many thanks for all who offered suggestions and recommendations. I purchased a White's GMT off eBay in like new condition for $500. I haven't found any gold yet in the creek on property I purchased in Georgia. I stopped by the two gold mines in Dahloniga on my way up last time. I purchased a pan of enhanced (25/1 sluiced) crushed quartz from Consolidated Mine so the staff would show me in person their panning technique. I found 8 small flakes of gold. Probably about $1.50-2.00 in gold for $11 purchase price. It was worth $9.50 for the panning demonstration. I purchased a $44 bag (gallon size) of 15/1 sluiced crushed quartz from Crisson Mine to bring home to pan out. I panned out about 4 or 5 times the flakes the one pan yielded at Consolidated. I repanned the material two more times but didn't find any more. I'm a bit puzzled why I didn't find any flour (power sized) gold. Perhaps when the material is consentrated, sluicing washes out the flour sized gold. I have a scale on order so I can weight out what I panned.

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the flour gold is there, so I wouldn't worry your washing it out. I've gone through more ore from the pay mines in n. ga than I care to admit. I use the ore like sand to fill holes in my yard after I pan/sluice. I'm running out of holes to fill. So I bought a metal detector and that makes more holes to fill and kinda keeps my yard in check. ;)

Anyhow, when I first started all I had was a pan. I am pretty meticulous and I don't miss with the pan. There is some fine gold but ive been able to collect everything I've ever found in that pay ore without really needing the sniffer bottle. Gold I've found naturally in n. ga creeks was very fine. I don't get up to the mountains enough, good luck finding something up there.

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nvm, they aren't washing it out either. Their concentrated stuff is nicer as far as the gold you will find but ouch it gets pricey and it's gone so fast.

They even sell a nugget bucket. 1 gal paint can for 300 bucks. They say it all stars with the ore (sold by 5 gals) and any other stuff they sell 5x/7x concentrate is that original ore concentrated down. i stick with the straight up stuff bc it seems to keep me busy longest

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking at a Garrett AT Gold. It has some nice features like an audio iron discrimination while in All-metal mode so you can tell if it's a bottle cap, etc. but still get maximum depth on nuggets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread