hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am located in S. Korea, not in the military. My hunting partner and I have begun searching some old sites marked
"gold" on several old maps that I have in my possession.
We have found the tailings. We have found the mine entrance sites....a couple closed, but most open....a person could
go in.
BUT we can't get any positive signals.
Does anyone have any info on the types of gold mining that has been done in S. Korea? I know that the later gold mining
efforts were done under the close eye of the Japanese officials in the area being hunted.
Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Koreans are like Chinese in many ways as they like to stash gold coins and artifacts in stone walls which are the safe deposit boxes of olden dayz---John :hello2:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry--no specific info. on Korea.
However, if you're detecting hard-rock mines, most often you won't get a signal from our detector as the ore is quite often in an extremely fine state of dissemination in the rock--too tiny for a detector to sound off on. Rarely do you find bonanza ore in a dump. As for entering old workings--I stay out of them--you never know what you'll come up against.

Try to find some placer you can detect, or keep working the dumps hoping for a high-grade piece that got away.

All the best,

Lanny

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not a big time detectorist but I can give you my thoughts on it. First are your MD's water proof, if so then check out any streams or rivers in the area of these mines. On the inside bends of rivers where the water slows and the gold falls out you might find a small nugget or 2 and maybe a concentration of some small flake.

Gramps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread