What claim to join ?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No (clarification--they're not all the same),

Some are better than others, and some charge solid fees for detecting on land they've prepped and scraped for detecting. My buddy just got back from Arizona and he says there's all kinds of guys around with the new Minelabs, plus all the other nugget shooters to boot. He says there's lots of detecting going on, but not with a lot of finds. So, not all claims are equal by a long shot. I've had others tell me that they love to get out in the un-hammered wild areas where there's a better chance of finding some virgin ground--it's still out there. Read about Chris Ghoulson's patch he found a while back--it's quite a story. He found it out in the middle of nowhere, and if he's still doing things the same way, he love to hunt the wild areas.

So, unless you want to pay a hefty fee, you'll probably have just as good of a chance on any average claim, unless you want to pay a premium fee for a processed site.

All the best,

Lanny

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All depends... where you are at in AZ. If in the Stanton area, I would go to (join) The Weaver and/or the Y-Not. They are very close to the Stanton GPAA claim. TTC

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
it kinda depends on where in AZ your going tobe and how much time your going to have for traveling back and forth to the claim. Terry gave some good advice if youll be close enough.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Lanny in AB said:
No (clarification--they're not all the same),

Some are better than others, and some charge solid fees for detecting on land they've prepped and scraped for detecting. My buddy just got back from Arizona and he says there's all kinds of guys around with the new Minelabs, plus all the other nugget shooters to boot. He says there's lots of detecting going on, but not with a lot of finds. So, not all claims are equal by a long shot. I've had others tell me that they love to get out in the un-hammered wild areas where there's a better chance of finding some virgin ground--it's still out there. Read about Chris Ghoulson's patch he found a while back--it's quite a story. He found it out in the middle of nowhere, and if he's still doing things the same way, he love to hunt the wild areas.

So, unless you want to pay a hefty fee, you'll probably have just as good of a chance on any average claim, unless you want to pay a premium fee for a processed site.

All the best,

Lanny
Well lannyThanks for the info I thought if they prepped and scraped it would make better finds ....... But if there is not many finds could be i don't want to work a claim like the gpaa and others......

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry & russa ... I will just be detecting not panning..... SO i am just trying to get some ideas..... Lanny said not much finds at the claims.........

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of the claims are huge--lots of area to detect. The scraped and prepped claim areas charge a serious fee for detecting--because of the expense of stripping--that's a natural, but you've got a shot at detecting some fresh ground that way.

People are still finding gold, but the easily accessed areas are being hammered hard. I would try any of the claims, for I have detected on a good selection of them, and the guys I was with found some beautiful gold (specimen and solid pieces). However, they were there for the entire winter (over several winters) and had lots of time to test, test, test until they found some hot spots. Bad thing is, once the word gets out, those hot spots get hammered very, very hard.

That's why if you can, connect with someone that's hunted the area for quite a while so they'll be able to direct you to some areas where you'd have a better chance of working some ground that hasn't had tons of people crawling all over it, as some of the claims most certainly have. Someone in the GPAA in that area may be able to connect you with someone, or maybe the Ghoulsons, or get in touch with Bill Southern of Nugget Shooter forum in Arizona--he knows a lot about the area.

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. I hunted these claims as well, and saw some nice gold found while I was there: http://www.weavermining.com/ (I think the dues are up to $50 a year, but all kinds of acres to play on!)

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lanny i guess i will check out the Weaver claim.. For you lanny & Terryc and Terry soloman from the forum here gave me the Weaver claim ..... So as they say the 3rd times a charm... Thanks again.. Jim

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Lanny i guess i will check out the Weaver claim.. For you lanny & Terryc and Terry soloman from the forum here gave me the Weaver claim ..... So as they say the 3rd times a charm... Thanks again.. Jim
Jim, If you did not know, the Stanton (AZ) site is also an historic site so you are allowed on site to visit... take pics... but not prospect. Joining the GPAA will, of course, allow prospecting on site. The 17 pound "tongue" nugget was found at a nearby GPAA claim Lucky Linda. And I am announcing RIGHT NOW!, that I found a small nugget yesterday with my Gold Bug 2 on the Weaver claim! Yes! Finally found gold with my metal detector. Small, .61 gram. about 25% of it quartz, but mostly gold, just the same. I cannot say EXACTLY where, though, because my hunting buddies will not allow it...yet. A pic will be coming soon... when the camera battery is charged. YEP. Just like the commercial. DEAD BATTERY! My first nuggy with a detector after a few years of looking so I guess I can wait for the charge. Come on down! Good luck. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the pic of that great big MONSTER I found.... all .61 grams of it! I was hoping the one with my name on it was a little bigger, though. It'll do for now. TTC

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 491

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: May NOT be a monster Terry BUT it sure looks sweet to me as all rough,gnarly and shiny too-Merry Christmas to all-John O :icon_thumright:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hoser John said:
:icon_thumleft: May NOT be a monster Terry BUT it sure looks sweet to me as all rough,gnarly and shiny too-Merry Christmas to all-John O :icon_thumright:
Tnx, John. I'M proud of it. As you know, those little guys don't just jump into view. I paid my dues to get that little guy. I've gotten nuggets before... this is the first with a detector. Tnx. TTC

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry .. Yes that is a good looking nugget .... One like that would make me happy........ Here you go Terry the dance...........

Attachments

• bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 440
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 430

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keppy--I don't want to hijack your thread, but I've got to congratulate Terry on finding his first nugget with a detector!! Well done Terry--you've broken the ice--watch what happens from now on!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lanny in AB said:
Keppy--I don't want to hijack your thread, but I've got to congratulate Terry on finding his first nugget with a detector!! Well done Terry--you've broken the ice--watch what happens from now on!

All the best,

Lanny
Lanny , No problem ... It' fine with me......

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lanny in AB said:

All the best,

Lanny
Thanks for the dance, Jim! And Lanny, tnx for the GREAT support and incouragement you and other vets here on Tnet given out over the years. If success breeds success, Get out of my way gang!! Tnx again. TTC

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry , You said about the books under panning for gold......... I have a video from 1994 called " Gold Nugget Prospecting Metal detecting with the Pros " .........There is not any different from 1994 to today when using a detector looking for gold............ Just differnt models of detectors same brands...........It has in it.......... Larry Sallee with his Whites GoldMaster ll .... Bob Gutowski with his Fishers Gold Bug ..... Floyd Allen with his Minelab XT1700...... And ... Glen Anderson and his Tesoro Lobo.....And they are in the Bradshaw mountains useing there detectors and giveing instruction on Metal Detecting for gold ...... It is a informative video..........

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry congratulations on that 1st detected nugget.
Isn't it a real "BLAST" findind gold with a metal detector !!!
Its my favorite way to prospect.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nice Terry congrats on your first, thats just sweet

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2cmorau said:
nice Terry congrats on your first, thats just sweet
Thanks all.
Check a little further for a book called ZIP ZIP. (out of print) By Salee. IT is unquestionably THE BEST on electronic detectinng, they say. I am partial to Jim Straight's "Bible". BTW, I started panning in '82. But I have learned BY FAR MUCH MORE from using the tips I was given from the guys and girls here on Tnet over the years. Tnx TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread