Please listen

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detector companies bug me. I can spec out a perfect detector I know I would buy so I know others would buy, and I know the technology exists. My perfect VLF gold machine would be similar to the White's DFX. Dual frequency with the ability to run both at once or either only. Usually that means a harmonic like 15 kHz and 60 kHz but I am going to get greedy and ask for 15 kHz and 90 kHz. Run both together or either one separately. The unit should also have a DFX like ability to notch out not only any target types but also multiple ground types. I want to be able to notch out the ground and also notch out a certain hot rock. In other words, more than one ground balance setting.

Who is going to do it first so I can buy it? And sell a bunch also. Sorry Steve, we don't ask our users what they want. We just make stuff and tell people they want it. Why listen to people who have bought by themselves more detectors than a small town and who will continue to buy them until they die?

The most impressive dealer meeting I ever attended was a Honda Power Equipment meeting. It was full of engineers asking "what do you want? What do your customers want?" Why is it so few companies get that? I know what I want, I know what my customers want, and nobody will make it for me. What is up with that? Do not tell me it will cost too much for people to buy. I have over $10,000 invested in detecting gear. I will pay a premium for a premium niche detector and so will others.

Hello, over here, I am your customer, I want to give you my money. Hello! Hello!! Anybody home? Hello!

Steve Herschbach
Steve's Mining Journal

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Morning Steve, I feel your pain. Is Troy still around as one righteous engineer and made decent detectors too??? work a deal?? tons a au 2 u 2 -John

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I called him a year ago and suggested he do the Dell model. Customer direct, cut dealers like me out of the loop. Sounds crazy but I care more about detecting as an end consumer than as a dealer plus I like out of box business plans. Troy suffered by having too many fingers in the pie. He has no dealer base, so why waste time and money building one. Just go customer direct. Maybe he will read this, build my detector, and sell it to me.

Merry Christmas John!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still wondering why Whites (or anyone else for that matter) doesn't make a two box detector with discrimination :dontknow:

GG~

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Troy was supposed to have two detectors in the making the last time i talked with him and was lookin forward to getting the new ones but that was a few years ago, i used to sell them myself still have the shadow x5 one great detector and if you need to have it fixed they still service them
2c

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steve Herschbach said:
Detector companies bug me. I can spec out a perfect detector I know I would buy so I know others would buy, and I know the technology exists. My perfect VLF gold machine would be similar to the White's DFX. Dual frequency with the ability to run both at once or either only. Usually that means a harmonic like 15 kHz and 60 kHz but I am going to get greedy and ask for 15 kHz and 90 kHz. Run both together or either one separately. The unit should also have a DFX like ability to notch out not only any target types but also multiple ground types. I want to be able to notch out the ground and also notch out a certain hot rock. In other words, more than one ground balance setting.

Who is going to do it first so I can buy it? And sell a bunch also. Sorry Steve, we don't ask our users what they want. We just make stuff and tell people they want it. Why listen to people who have bought by themselves more detectors than a small town and who will continue to buy them until they die?

The most impressive dealer meeting I ever attended was a Honda Power Equipment meeting. It was full of engineers asking "what do you want? What do your customers want?" Why is it so few companies get that? I know what I want, I know what my customers want, and nobody will make it for me. What is up with that? Do not tell me it will cost too much for people to buy. I have over $10,000 invested in detecting gear. I will pay a premium for a premium niche detector and so will others.

Hello, over here, I am your customer, I want to give you my money. Hello! Hello!! Anybody home? Hello!

Steve Herschbach
Steve's Mining Journal

Loved your post Steve--so true!! (Like on the 5000--why won't they put a decent discriminator on it? Everybody in the world knows Minelab most certainly has the technology!)

All the best,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead: I feel your pain Steve and I too wish you and yourn a Merry Christmas and a sober New Years. My great old buddy Irwin Lee RIP :'( (Fisher rep for years) was of a like mind also but $$$$$ does make the world go around. I was told dozens of times that to have a real disc on a dual box would ruin the depth and constrict the field of detection too far and kill the whole idea of what they are doing. The older Whites TM series had a ferrous/non ferrous modes and a VOID finder also for caves,buried treasures and such. I haven't seen or used one in at least 12 years so memory is rough on that one,sorry as age and cured diseases treatments took a chunka memory and patience with it. In the 80-90's Tesoro was the newer kid on the block and worked thata way--what ya need and want but this depression has hit every industry hard. Hows AMD doing in AK with the newby gold rush,hear insanity hit and friends saw much stupidity in a tough place?? Stay warm and hope you find your mfgr. Steve and tons a au 2 -1 and all-John

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi John,

We have struggled also with the economy but I am committed to simply doing everything better for our customers. Got lazy during the boom years now time to get serious. I am pretty fired up right now which prompted the post.

Merry Christmas John!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merry Christmas to All, to All a Goodnight and just possibly in 2012 some of our wishes will come true! I feel the urge to go move some boulders but if I had the help of a really good detector, like Steve has suggested, I suspect I would not need to roll over so many boulders due to the machine sniffing out the ones with no gold under them. Then again, moving boulders is good exercise but I think I should be quiet now.

Happiness Everyone..................63bkpkr

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Welcome back Steve- Sounds like a stupid question, but have you talked to Steve or anybody else over at White's in Sweethome? I'm sure somebody with your background could help sway their design team around, especially now with the price of gold being what it is. Maybe you wouldn't get exactly the machine you want first go-around, but your input would be appreciated, I'm sure.

dagreat

Feb 28, 2010
Upper Lake
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000 with 11" M/DD and GoldScreamer pack
Etrac with 15x18 SEF & 10" Slimeline with inline Sunray
F75 with 11" & 5" DD with inline Sunray for my son
Garrett Infinium with 14" DD, 8" mono and 3x7 DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,

I always love reading your comments. Some company could be sitting on a gold mine if they cashed in on your idea... give consumers what they want. Look at other industries like video games... they bring in consumers to brainstorm ideas, they bring in consumers to test them, they sell millions upon millions of their products. Consumers don't want the same thing, they want the new and improved model that gives them something they were missing. Machines like the V3i and Etrac were a step in that direction. Why can't I select one single frequency, or a set of frequencies to search just for silver coins, or natural gold, or whatever it is I want to focus on?

Anyways... great idea that I hope the companies follow up on!

Rob

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes it works better to float an idea on the forums to see who chimes in and with what.

Steve Herschbach
Steve's Mining Journal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread