Newbie with a Whites 300 XLT and Questions

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Newbie with a White's 300 XLT and Questions

You need to get representative gold samples, glue them to cheap plastic poker chips (not the higher end clay ones that act just like hot rocks) and practice finding them. Gluing the gold to the poker chip will help you find it again (I have a strap on my samples).

Once you can find these, in the areas you are hunting, you will have some idea what the settings need to be for your area. Anytime you move somewhere else, you will need to set up with your sample gold again.

Silver might work a similar way, depending on what state its in where you find it. Try to find ore samples from the areas you want to search (or as similar as possible) - you might find that the Silver is mixed with Lead (Galena) or is in the form of Sulfides - you may of may not be able to find it as an obvious reading - being able to recognize the ore along with what your detector tells you may help you figure out what to look for.

The problem with finding raw gold and silver is that every piece has the potential of being unique as far as your detector can tell. Unlike coin hunting, there is nothing uniform about your targets. XLT's are popular in Colorado for prospectors (I don't use one, but I hunt with people that do - they have been successful). I use a GMT with a small 4X6 DD coil for gold.

I dig a lot of trash, that's just the nature of detecting for raw gold and silver.

OP
OP
T

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Newbie with a White's 300 XLT and Questions

Hey Jm,

Thanks for the reply. Im not far from Philadelphia, pa. What I've read about our siler in the area is its found with lead and nickle. But Im not to far from an area where placer gold is found in a few creeks. So hopefully my detector gets me to an area to do a little panning or finds the gold along the creek banks.

HH Jay :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions