Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry and thanks for the ribbing!

My wetsuit is a very thick one and I have everything else you mentioned as well. I've carried all of it in a few times, like back in 92-93, but Not in a long time. I will stick with swimming in the summer thank you!! And thirsty I am! I just need a direction to go, I'm just waiting to see if the job comes through as if not that will push me over the edge, literally.........63 bkpkr

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you well, whichever fork is taken. Good luck, my friend. TTC

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toddles as an Engineer I could write pages of what and how on the detector , but one thing I can say is that the Engineers who make these detectors know what they are doing . The main thing is to get out and learn what your detector does and how it sounds and works .
This site has many people here that know what they are doing and what they are talking about , so read what they do and the advice that they have . You could not afford to pay someone to teach you what you can learn here from others .

The combined years of experience of the people here is staggering ! And there are quite a few of them on this post , so jump in and ask questions and read and learn .

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TTC! The answer to which fork is almost available, just 4 more days at most.

My "gauge" river has just completed a sizeable water surge in the last 4 days, from 200-300 cfs area up to 18,000 cfs currently going down and at 4160 cfs. What a Huge amount of water has just been dumped on the Sierras! With warming weather expected it will be interesting to see what happens.................63bkpkr

OP
OP
toddles1

toddles1

Jan 22, 2012
prunetucky california
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Daedalus,

Thanks for the advise I certianly agree with you about the help that is had here on the net I've learned a TON already. I actually had a chance to hit the hills with my Gold BugII just before the storms hit. WOW what a difference there was in the minerial levels than my back yard. LOL. I hit a creek with tailing piles stacked all along the creeks edge, the hot rocks drove me nuts,I'd ground balanced on a negative rock and 2' away i'd hit a positive one, I've got a lot to learn about my machine but because of the advise given here I was able to work through those hot rocks and actually found a fired bullet, a square nail, some lead shot and a thin strand of wire about 3/4" long. for the type of ground I was on and first time detecting in gold country I think it was a success. Can't wait to get back out there, Maybe an area without so many hot rocks:happysmiley:.

Hey 63bkpkr, good luck on your job hunting my friend, I know you'll find something that will work for you,thanks for all your help, I too am watching the river levels, it's like waiting for christmas to come :laughing7: my fever is running a little high right now. take care.
Good luck good hunting Toddles

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Toddles,

If you found those objects in the midst of all of those hot rocks, you did well. Eventually you'll pull out a nugget. I dug piles of trash before I found my first nugget. Getting to know your machine, and getting to know the proper technique takes time, but it's worth it when you find your first chunk of gold with your new machine.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
toddles1

toddles1

Jan 22, 2012
prunetucky california
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey lanny,
Thanks for the reassurance there were times when I thought I'd have to give it up because of those nasty hot rocks .I had too stop and think about how to combat those things, is it typical to have so many of them in gold baring areas, I don't know if I was doing the right thing by ground balancing on the hot rocks but it seemed to work the best. Am I on right path ? I had an opportunity to hike along a gold baring river and came across a couple of streams flowing into the river, would it be a good idea to head up those with my detector? I don't think they have water all year round,I want to get closer to the source, what do you think

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, hot rocks in mining country is Typical. Why Toddles after balancing for the hot rock I'd of thought you'd have thrown your gold sample down on the ground to see how your detector read it. You did have it with you didn't you?........:3barsgold:.....63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
toddles1

toddles1

Jan 22, 2012
prunetucky california
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey63bkpkr,
I've seem to have misplaced my sample chip LOL. Too many trips out in the back yard practicing I guess I'll have to make another one, maybe have my good friend stop by for some more spicy grub in exchange for another poker chip LOL. so what do you think? What do you think about detecting seasonal streams that dump into gold baring rivers or is it a waste of my time? You know I don't have the ability to spend alot of time on the rivers so i'd like spend it most wisely.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Toddles,
Yumm, hot spicy food! "Any" water that courses down a hillside will Sample the ground "that it touches". Any rain that falls on a hillside and that slides off the hill samples the hillside where it touches it. So in gold country any water source that goes down a hill has the potential to show color IF the color is there and IF the water goes through a paystreak. Finding gold is a prabability situation. The likelyhood of finding gold in gold country is much higher than wining the Loto but if you go out into the area where gold has been found before then your odds of finding gold are enhanced. I've never won anything from the few loto tickets I've purchsed but I Have Found Gold and nearly every time I go out. Do some research, think about what you've learned about reading a river, recall places in gold country you've been that might be good to bo back to, put yourself in a reasonable or likely location and then try.....63bkpkr

PS - I've been listening to my own advice not just giving it out. Have you checked out one of my posts on Lannys 'Bedrock' thread?

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Toddles, a few things that might help are - go to a place that had coarse gold, do some reading research - go to your chosen area, find some bedrock sticking out, on the hillside preferably, but you need to be able to see it in several places and know that it is there, and has stopped the gold sinking ten feet deep into the soil or gravel. Hillsides are good to start with, for several reasons, including - because there is usually less metal junk than in the bottom of the valley, and there should be less gravel - soil to help you detect that nugget sitting on rock bottom.
That gold is heavy, nearly twice as heavy as the same size chunk of lead. So it does't move easily, and stops against any obstacle. The gravel and soil on your hillside will have been swept away by eons, centuries of water, wind and other erosion, leaving the heavy stuff behind. Gold, heavy minerals, hot rocks and also the old miners shoe nails, coins, bullets, cartridges, bits of wire and other stuff has been added in the last couple of centuries too.
Just poke along on the hillside, with your detector tuned as on previous pages, keep on ground balancing. Keep that coil low, moving slow. try along some runnels where water has been gouging out little scars here and there. Don't roam far away from the exposed bedrock areas for a start, as you need to reach that bedrock and crevices with the all seeing rays from your coil. Remember it's easier to find 5 one gram bits, than one 5 gram bit usually, and if you are picking up the little ones, that Gold bug wont miss a bigger chunk. Also remember that it can take a lot of hours solid detecting to find your first pieces. Listen hard for those tiny ghost signals, dig em all for a start as I know I walked away from gold signals that were very faint when I started. Good luck to you, Nuggy

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Toddles, a few things that might help are - go to a place that had coarse gold, do some reading research - go to your chosen area, find some bedrock sticking out, on the hillside preferably, but you need to be able to see it in several places and know that it is there, and has stopped the gold sinking ten feet deep into the soil or gravel. Hillsides are good to start with, for several reasons, including - because there is usually less metal junk than in the bottom of the valley, and there should be less gravel - soil to help you detect that nugget sitting on rock bottom.
That gold is heavy, nearly twice as heavy as the same size chunk of lead. So it does't move easily, and stops against any obstacle. The gravel and soil on your hillside will have been swept away by eons, centuries of water, wind and other erosion, leaving the heavy stuff behind. Gold, heavy minerals, hot rocks and also the old miners shoe nails, coins, bullets, cartridges, bits of wire and other stuff has been added in the last couple of centuries too.
Just poke along on the hillside, with your detector tuned as on previous pages, keep on ground balancing. Keep that coil low, moving slow. try along some runnels where water has been gouging out little scars here and there. Don't roam far away from the exposed bedrock areas for a start, as you need to reach that bedrock and crevices with the all seeing rays from your coil. Remember it's easier to find 5 one gram bits, than one 5 gram bit usually, and if you are picking up the little ones, that Gold bug wont miss a bigger chunk. Also remember that it can take a lot of hours solid detecting to find your first pieces. Listen hard for those tiny ghost signals, dig em all for a start as I know I walked away from gold signals that were very faint when I started. Good luck to you, Nuggy
very good advice nuggy, many people just wander around aimlessly with a detector instead of having a grand plan.see ya got to think like a nugget !

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strickman,
Does your comment mean my thoughts have to be golden?? All I can do is try......63bkpkr :icon_thumleft: :3barsgold:

Last edited:
OP
OP
toddles1

toddles1

Jan 22, 2012
prunetucky california
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all
thanks for the reassurance,I guess I never thought about staying close to bedrock while hunting the hillsides great advise that's going to help a bunch, can't wait for the weather to let up to go out, patience I guess, I'm starting to. Uh into this thinking like gold thing I've used it to find hot spots on rivers while panning, no reason not to use it for detecting I just hope I too can keep my thoughts golden or maybe just heavy. LOL I'll keep you all posted.
good luck good hunting, Toddles

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Toddles, what have you been up to lately? Get out into the hills any or is the job or grandchildren keeping you mostly in town? I had five days off over the 4th but due to twisting my knee at work I stayed home, hated to but needed to. My river is almost at 100 cfs and that means a person can walk across it easily save for the deep holes and this means I should get out there and swing, so to speak. Of course this week I'm working 6 days and likely the same for the rest of this month.

Hope you and the family are enjoying summer......63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread