N.E. Oregon Metal Detecting

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
johnedoe said:
Has anyone here done any MDing in the N.E. Oregon region? Particularly the Sumpter area.
Sorry, no.

Have long thought about using a PI there, though. PI's are especially sensitive to gold. But be aware they don't tell you how deep that gold is going to be: 5 inches or 5 feet is the same thing to a PI. Sometimes by walking a few feet to the side you can zero-in on the approximate depth, though.

Looking for the next Armstrong nugget?

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
I've detected some there. Various spots in the hills and on some of the dredge tailings. All I can say is that there sure are a lot of pellets in a shotgun shell and someone must be doing a lot of duck hunting or something around the dredge piles where I was! I've also found lots of bullets in the hills and shell casings. No gold yet though. I'm using a Gold Bug 2. If you find something there please send me the GPS location. Sorry I wasn't much help. Doug.

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey johnedoe I've been going to the sumpter area for 2 years will be there again this summer, 2012. this area was hit hard by the old timers but there is still gold to be found. however there is alot of junk old tools, tin cans, nails, bullets, birdshot and the gold in the area is very small. not many nuggets have been found even in historic times. another thing i would like to point out most of the good ground is either claimed or is private property. make sure you know were you are at. the locals do not put up with mineral tresspass i cannot stress this last point enough. you are much better off spending some time there getting to know them and getting permission its alot healthier. btw the locals are great people you will not have a problem if you ask first many will say yes. good luck. highdesertranger

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You for the heads up, maybe we will see each other up there this summer......
send me a PM if you wish to make any summer plans.

Also I'm working on a fine gold recovery trap..... looking forward to see how it works......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread