Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I had not much interest in silver mining, I read your article and found it highly informative and entertaining. Thank you for taking the type to paint the pictures of your experience. Good hunting:)

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Oakview2…thankyou for commenting on the write-up as your first post, and welcome to the forum. I could have done a better job expressing a few ideas and have subsequently gone back and edited a bit to make things clearer.

Time and again over the years searching in mine tailings using small iron discrimination we see some silver ore signals breaking-up or they produce good signals but target ID in the upper iron range. These can be confused with iron junk, pyrrhotite, and positive diabase or other iron oxide hotrocks. Similarly we see other non-ferrous targets such as spent blasting caps producing an iron target ID…and not very deep either.

As noted in the write-up, ground-balancing over suspect signals using the GROUND GRAB feature on my F75 with 10” elliptical concentric coil was a handy quick way to get some additional information. Diabase positive hotrock signals converted to a slightly negative sounding hotrock signal and their target ID would disappear. These could be ignored. Any other questionable signals were investigated by removing overburden until I was satisfied about the target’s identity.

Electronic prospectors who pass by such signals are leaving good silver behind. In such conditions target ID and / or discrimination can’t be relied on and particularly over weaker signals in even moderate ground. Hunters should acquire the habit of searching in the all-metal motion mode wherever possible and removing some overburden to get closer to a target to better evaluate a signal. It pays to slow down, make good use of your pick / magnet and investigate some of these “iron” signals. If there is any doubt, dig it.

For interest, below is a photo of a specimen found this past autumn containing both native and ruby silver in a calcite matrix. Ruby silver comes in several forms. These are silver sulfide [sulfosalt] minerals with variable silver content on occasion possibly mixed with some minor copper replacement, plus the usual sulfur, arsenic and / or antimony content. The silver content ranges from roughly 60% to nearly 70% by weight depending on the type of ruby silver.

1.7 LB RUBYNATIVE AG SFYG18.JPG

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As always, great write-up Jim--gorgeous photo of your find as well. You're doing an excellent job--many thanks.

All the best,

Lanny

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Thanks Jim,
The reason that many of us don't prospect for silver is that we haven't read your
article yet. Many thanks. Years ago a Prospector showed me what natural silver
looked like and now it catches my eye. Since I have an Infinium and read your
other article also I am ready to go looking again.
Thanks,
Rich

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny...in keeping with our bilingual status...merci beaucoup monsieur. :D

The photo you mention looks to me to be bland and lifeless compared to the real piece. I wish I knew how to get a good photo of silver veins with the wife's digital camera. None of my photos look OK to me...the gleam of silver just isn't there. Next time maybe I'll try shooting them in sunlight and at an angle so the silver shows-up better. I've found that shooting straight on results in the silver "disappearing" because it tends to blend in with the calcite. I guess the next best choice is to go back to using my trusty old Minolta SLR film camera and a suitable lense...short of quitting altogether.

Have you had the same unseasonably mild winter we've had over here so far? Never seen anything like it Lanny...no snow or what little we get melts in a few days...and other than a few very brief cold snaps the temps have pretty well resided above freezing during the day. Right now we happen to be in a snowy cold snap...but it won't last if the pattern continues. It has made for a dreary winter here, no cross-country skiing, no skating...even our Frosty the Snowman melted. Now his head is just a little blob on the front lawn...and his hat blew away...it doesn't get much worse than that huh? :(

Jim.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Treasure finder said:
Thanks Jim,
The reason that many of us don't prospect for silver is that we haven't read your
article yet. Many thanks. Years ago a Prospector showed me what natural silver
looked like and now it catches my eye. Since I have an Infinium and read your
other article also I am ready to go looking again.
Thanks,
Rich

Well Rich that is very kind of you to say and thankyou. :) I hope you've acquired either the 8" mono and / or the 14" mono. I expressed my view of the 14" mono in the Infinium write-up but don't believe much was said about the 8" mono. In short, it adds a new dimension to the unit. In my testplot it signals on everything from a half-gram at three inches to a Jefferson nickel at 12 inches. Both these are slight signals, but everything in-between is a good strong signal...including a Canada nickel at 10" depth. What I like at least as much Rich is that it produces a cleaner lo-hi lengthwise over elongated iron such as nails. And it is comparably lightweight after the bigger coils. I don't care for the DD stock 14" coil at all...and will never use it again after using the mono coils successfully in tough ground. I also like that Infinium gives good depth performance across the entire conductive spectrum and thats just one reason why I prefer it for general field searching of silver ores.

Lets put-up another photo of silver found this past autumn. Nothing special, another typical small sample that accounts for a good portion of silver found this year...

Jim.

4.7 TROY OZ SILVER SPECIMEN SF.JPG

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Hi again Jim,
You sure are right about the Mono coils on the Infinium. After my first nugget trip I
immediately ordered an 8 inch Mono coil. Much lighter and a cleaner signal. The stock
one will give you a sore forearm in no time.
I know where there is a large silver vein here in Southern California that has Spanish
signs all over the place, but it is in a Wilderness area. No Prospecting, no driving etc.
Think I will go back and take another look just for interests sake.
Also I know where there is a large calcite deposit on open land. Next time I am in the
area, think I will take a closer look.
Thanks for the great posts.
Rich

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim Hemmingway said:
Have you had the same unseasonably mild winter we've had over here so far? Never seen anything like it Lanny...no snow or what little we get melts in a few days...and other than a few very brief cold snaps the temps have pretty well resided above freezing during the day. Right now we happen to be in a snowy cold snap...but it won't last if the pattern continues. It has made for a dreary winter here, no cross-country skiing, no skating...even our Frosty the Snowman melted. Now his head is just a little blob on the front lawn...and his hat blew away...it doesn't get much worse than that huh? :(

Jim.

We've had the same kind of winter, but we're not currently in a storm, but as you well know, that can change at any moment. We've had many days above zero, and I've been tempted to get out and do a little detecting, so we'll see what happens in the next week or so. Sorry about the demise of your Snowman--maybe next year you'll get to keep him the entire season (I hope not).

I hear you about trying to capture the shots of the metals specimens in the right light--it is difficult, but that's the beauty of digital: try and try again; erase, and try again. :D However, it sounds like you've had great success with regular film in the past.

All the best,

Lanny

All the best

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rich...good luck with your prospecting adventures. Remember to keep an eye out for silver sulfides...most will appear to be quite dark...even black. I seem to recollect reading in one of my mineral books about one type of ruby silver occurring in California. Acanthite...87% silver by weight is another black, or black with a slight bluish cast, brittle silver sulfide to watch out for when examining silver areas. These are not likely to give you a metal detector response, but are silver rich. You may want to consider using a VLF unit in the prospecting process for sensitivity to disseminated material...doubtless you know that full well but I figure to give you an opinion to back-up your ideas re: this application.

Now don't be a stranger Rich, I would like to hear about anything unusual over the course of the coming season or if any question comes to mind I'll be pleased to give you my nickel's worth...feel free to post here if you are comfortable with it or PM anytime. All the very best and thanks :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny thanks for lending me your ear, and good luck with your gold prospecting this coming season. I'm not familiar with dredging and certainly not in your area, but I imagine despite the weather that much of the spring runoff is still snow in the mountains...not likely to give you an early start to the season.

If you do decide to try some detecting, please take care crossing frozen ice...a friend of mine in a northern community recently broke through...likely due to the mild winter but good snow cover over the ice. Fortunately the water was only waist deep and he had a walking stick to get himself out...but with great difficulty. A sturdy walking stick would be handy to have strapped to your pack maybe. We want you around for Christmas poetry next year Lanny so be careful. :wink:

Why not put up another photo of silver ore...just for the heck of it. For Rich we'll post another native and ruby silver piece. I've replaced the first photo with a better-looking specimen of very dark ruby silver mixed-in with native silver that was shot close-up using the camera's "macro" feature. Hope this is an improvement for you...

Jim.

4.4 LB NATIVE RUBY SILVER SFBL.JPG

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Thanks Jim,
I just printed your photos to take along for recognition. I have found some of the dark
gray silver with the PDF Long Range Locator (seems to work for me). I will get photos
next time to show you.
Also for a VLF I have a Compass Gold Scanner Pro with the meter so that was a handy
tip also. I am planning to do a little nugget shooting in two weeks, I will check for
silver, it is a new area I am going to.
Thanks for the offer of help, I will let you know how I do.
Rich

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Rich...we'll look forward to learning how you fare on your prospecting trip. Now don't be disappointed if things don't work out as hoped. First-time trips into a new area are usually not very productive in my experience. The photo below shows you a different look, strictly native silver in a modest size specimen that made-up the bulk of my recoveries this year...

1.1 LB NATIVE SILVER CALCITE SF.JPG

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the new picture, I will print that one too.
No, I am never disappointed on a prostpecting trip. Getting out of the city is great on its
own and I always know that I can find a tuna sandwich and something to drink in my
ice chest. I can also find history, either in evidence of previous people or evidence of
geology at work. "Happiness isn't a goal, it's a way of life." Witth that in mind, I am
going to have a great time.
Rich

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Jim! Just stick my nose in here long enough to say I finally found a nugget with the Gold Bug 2. After more than a year trying. Near here on the Weaver claim. If success breeds success, look out world! Ok, a post about silver... but it's from Jim H... that makes it ok with me! TTC

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rich...you sound just like me...I always take a tuna sandwich and lots to drink. Why tuna? Well it keeps in the cans of course. No refrigeration required until I mix it with salad dressing and then seal it firmly.

Heck sometimes if I'm not really in the mood for detecting or digging, I'll pull out a book and read for awhile. I'm a great believer in pacing yourself over an extended trip. In fact I tend to hang around camp in the morning dawdling over coffee or tea, breakfast, chop some fresh wood and make the fireplace so its ready when I return usually after dark, fill the lanterns with kerosene...you get the idea...no rush. Every facet of prospecting is pleasurable...except handwashing my laundry and showering outdoors in sub-freezing weather...I use a portable shower.

Below is an indoor photo of the big piece found this year. Its color and tone is warmer than what we see in the rather austere-looking outdoor shot...obviously some detail is lost due to the distance to get the rock framed.

101 LB SILVER SFT.JPG

Jim.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well "hmmph" Terry...you can stick your nose in here anytime you want. I enjoy your posts and I like to get your nickel's worth. :wink:
Now, I would be delighted if you would consider posting a photo of your nugget here. Silver or gold...when you get down to it...its all about enjoying prospecting, the great outdoors, and making life worthwhile. After all...we can't take none of this stuff with us. You've worked diligently at learning your Goldbug2, your instructional video was really well done, and now you've found good gold. Over here in York county we call that a success. Congratulations and lets hope there's plenty more. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Jim,
Along with the tuna keeping well, I also take Almond Milk or Coconut Milk. Both keep
fairly well without refrigeration and go well with cereal or oatmeal. Those you can eat
out of a gold pan in case you forget the stove pan.
Cheers, I will let you know if I find any nuggets or whatever.
Rich

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim Hemmingway said:
Well "hmmph" Terry...you can stick your nose in here anytime you want. I enjoy your posts and I like to get your nickel's worth. :wink:
Now, I would be delighted if you would consider posting a photo of your nugget here. Silver or gold...when you get down to it...its all about enjoying prospecting, the great outdoors, and making life worthwhile. After all...we can't take none of this stuff with us. You've worked diligently at learning your Goldbug2, your instructional video was really well done, and now you've found good gold. Over here in York county we call that a success. Congratulations and lets hope there's plenty more. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.
Tnx... a pic has been posted... check down the posts. Not even big enough for my initials, let alone name. But, "what the hey", I will find more! TTC

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry...I must be daffy or something but I couldn't find it. Can you give me a link please?

Jim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread