How do you find out where other peoples gold claims are located?

Zachac

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detect mostly on BLM and I have bought maps and checked the geocomunicator site for colorado plus read everything I could on blm mine claims ect but still not sure where claims might be since there are many in my area and dont want to end up on one by accident.

So anyone know of sites that will help and show where every claim in colorado is?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The absolutely ONLY accurate info comes from the local yokel Recorders offices. All claims start there,annual labor and all filings are filed there,when sold all sales are recorded there. From beginning to end,it's there. GeoCom/BLM bs is 50% accurate 50% of the time,and thats on a good day--tons a au 2 u 2 -John :evil5:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great information to know John--nicely done!

All the best,

Lanny

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to "goldmaps online". They sell a downloadable program which is an overlay of both active and inactive claims in several states. This overlay program is up to date (better than the blm), and is used with google earth. It's an excellent program, and the claim numbers are listed with the claims. Just click on the parcel, and if the claim is active, the owner's name, claim name, date of filing, and claim number are available. The inactive claims only show the claim number and the date of original filing. The abandoned dates are not available. This site allows a free download in Idaho to test the programs useability. Plus, it's relatively inexpensive when one considers the amount of time it saves. Give it a try...you have nothing to lose.

toddles1

Jan 22, 2012
prunetucky california
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey zachac
The gold maps.com site is pretty nice and easy to use I did find them to be too general in locating actual claim boundarys but having the claim serial number and name helps a bunch ,the geocomunicator on the blm site will give you the same info if you take some time to learn how to input township range and section into their (run reports) program it will show all active,closed,and pending claims within a square mile, print this info, then call the nearest field office off the blm site and ask for the geologist, ask them for the(plan of operations ) for the claim serial numbers and claim lead file numbers on the active claims list this will give you the actual claim boundaries, I found this to save a ton of driving time and helps in planning your trips to the woods. This is a great help if you find it difficult to get out to the Local recording offices but I must say they will give you the most up to date info remember claim filing is usually in the fall of each year a little due diligence on your part will pay dividends in the end.
Good luck and good hunting
Toddles1

phasteddie

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste your money at goldmaps online. The info is NOT up to date, they'll promise you a prompt upgrade which will never happen and they are very rude.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Send a PM to My brother TimC. He has the BLM internet site... SLR2000 or something like that. HE KNOWS how to look up claims on BLM. The site is THE SAME ONE that the BLM guys use to tell you. Write down the Base line median, township, range, and section used to record the claim. Take that to the recorder's office in your county. A little bit of work, but it will be time well spent. (edit: Sorry... the BLM site, being the most up to date IS what you will get from the counter-gal/guy. No need to go to the county unless filing a claim.) TTC

Last edited:

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to "goldmaps online". They sell a downloadable program which is an overlay of both active and inactive claims in several states. This overlay program is up to date (better than the blm), and is used with google earth. It's an excellent program, and the claim numbers are listed with the claims. Just click on the parcel, and if the claim is active, the owner's name, claim name, date of filing, and claim number are available. The inactive claims only show the claim number and the date of original filing. The abandoned dates are not available. This site allows a free download in Idaho to test the programs useability. Plus, it's relatively inexpensive when one considers the amount of time it saves. Give it a try...you have nothing to lose.

I have never used "GOLD MAPS ONLINE" but I do use the "MINE CACHE" a lot. Here is the problem you will run into if you go by any of these sites.
They get there information from BLM, "SO" When BLM transfers info from the miners location notice or other paperwork and enters it wrong then it just gets transfered to those sites. Like john said, the county recorder is where all the original paperwork is kept. Use the mining sites and LR2000 "BUT DOUBLE CHECK" at the county recorder in the county the claim is located in and read the Location Notice for the Proper Discription. This will tell you exactly where the claim is located and prepare to get EDUCATED..

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wondered guys, are there "vultures" hanging around the popular county recorders office come Sept 1st when valid claims are not taken care
of for next year?

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"YES" Those are the claims for sale on ebay where I live.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"YES" Those are the claims for sale on ebay where I live.
Ask my brother TimC to tell you the story of how he sat on a claim for a month to be able to pay the fees, only to learn it was already taken on the DAY IT BECAME AVAILABLE yet he was there at the county building and no one else..... he can tell it more accurately. TTC

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
after a bit of thought,experience is all i can think of,fullpan.researching mining claims is exactly like any real estate operation.you must be capable of describing land by aliquot portion(se1/4,se1/4,t.32n,r9w,mer.mdm,for example)which at a glance should tell you =40 acres.like learning another language,you must think in that language.thats the hardest part of doing title searches,and once mastered,all else is simple.hoser john is correct,county recorder good starting place,except sometimes the tax assesors office is perequisite,as they can provide parcel numbers,and legal decriptions by the section.and names of owners.when i was flipping real estates i kept a back page of my notebook devoted to the likings of the clerks involved.the gift of gab gets these for you,dove bars,as in chocolate,were very productive for me.not to mention fresh breath,good manners,and uh,non offensive flirting techniques/subtle flattery.helpfull county clerks working days/hours,fresh flowers.they do in seconds,that which takes me hours.buy the $15 blm book,study up on aliquot portion descriptions,land surveyors,re operators can help put you up on game.research techniques/people skills 95% of this game.good luck,and good huntin

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I quess the only accurate way is to camp out and work the land and wait to see if someone shoots a hot piece of lead at ya!! God Bless Chris

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I see at the blm site that the river runs through the bottom of section 18 and i see 10 or 12 claimholders listed, but none show se1/4 of se1/4, does that
mean its open, or like john said its probably a mistake and i should see the county recorder?

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call BLM and ask for the mining Dept, Give them the Township Range and Section and maybe the Meridian if they need it. Ask them if there are any active claims in that location, if yes have them email you a PDF File of the Legal Discription of those claims. You want to check the legal discription off of there location notice which BLM has on record, I'ts a good place to start.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
curious which blm site now showing rivers course through specific section.lr2000 used in conjunction with your own map software program i guess.as geo-communicator not there now.a section is a square mile/640 acres.32 potential 20 acre claims,located individually.but each requiring description by aliquot portion,unless located upon unsurveyed land.(have yet to encounter that)that case,described in relation to specific physical features.and then recorded at county,then at blm,as public record info,accessed by you at that place.by understanding aliquot description,and knowing how to correlate this to a proper map,gps/compass ops,voila,you will know where the claim boundaries are,who the locators are,their mail addys,etc.it is legal to camp,fish,hike,hunt etc on claims,as long as not interfering with mining ops.if someone busts a cap at you,they are not necessarily the claimholder.if it is in fact a claim at all.maybe they just dont like ya.goes back ta people skills....(joke).

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
LR2000 is a good start, but don't trust your life to it. I was looking at a claim for sale on ebay and looked up the area on LR2000 to see if there were a lot of other claims in the same region. It only showed the 1 I was looking at and 1 other active, but a ton of expired ones so we decided to make the long drive over to check it out. It was like walking in a paper forest there were so many claim markers on the trees :D Some were old dates, and may very well have been expired, but there were many there from 2011 that did not show up on LR2000

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LR2000 is a good start, but don't trust your life to it. I was looking at a claim for sale on ebay and looked up the area on LR2000 to see if there were a lot of other claims in the same region. It only showed the 1 I was looking at and 1 other active, but a ton of expired ones so we decided to make the long drive over to check it out. It was like walking in a paper forest there were so many claim markers on the trees :D Some were old dates, and may very well have been expired, but there were many there from 2011 that did not show up on LR2000
No, Darshevo, I would not trust my life on the LR2000 site. Nor would I trust my life on the counter person but the LR2000 site is the computer place the counter person uses to check all data entries. It is the most up to date place in the BLM office for info you need. All other "pay for" sources get it from there. Go to the counter person and have them show you how to use the site, then next time do it from home. Or, PM TimC, my brother, before he dies. He has teriminal cancer. He has this page figured out! He can show you what you need to know! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions