good metal detector for Gold metal detecting

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Hi guys I am moving to riverside county next week and would like to start detecting for gold as a hobby. I started metal detecting in 2004 and mostly have hunted the beach's and parks in San Diego. I have been told my Sovereign Gt and Ace 250 will not work well for gold detecting so I am now looking for a gold detector in the 700 dollar range. I have been thinking of getting a garrett at pro as I can also use it in the water but not sure how good it would be at gold detecting. If you have any suggestions or advice about gold detecting I would appreciate it as I will be buying the detector in May. Also if anyone knows of any good gold prospecting clubs in Riverside county, Ca I could join that would be helpful also. Good Luck and HH all. Ted

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq-great nugget and multi use with disc capabilities also for high trash areas. New Gold bug Pro/or old gold standard Gold Bug 2. New Pro much advanced and kicking butt here in the nasty mineralized Golden Crescent in N Kalif. Tesoro LIFETIME warranity(repaired my units for free for over 30 years now) and Fisher was 5???? new owners,buy used but not abused offa Craigslist daily as nugget shooting is definately 20XXX harder than any other--tons a au 2 u 2 -John :laughing7:

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me John, you willing to show me around one of your gold working areas that your aren't afraid to show people <if there is such a thing> Really want to see if my MXT Pro can find gold. I know it's not going to be great, but hoping it's capable.

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Twisted One said:
Reminds me John, you willing to show me around one of your gold working areas that your aren't afraid to show people <if there is such a thing> Really want to see if my MXT Pro can find gold. I know it's not going to be great, but hoping it's capable.

You will want to use the shooter 4x6dd coil for prospecting, not the huge 12" that comes with the pro..

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitro 54 said:
Twisted One said:

You will want to use the shooter 4x6dd coil for prospecting, not the huge 12" that comes with the pro..

Thanks for the suggestion, I was looking to buy a new coil this summer, I guess I will look into that one.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck with your detecting. Check back from time to time and let us know how you do.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions