Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's happening in the hills near you - good or bad

Hi Everybody,
I noticed a news release that two fellows were arrested for illegally metal detecting on someone elses claim and taking gold from it. It was easy for the officer to make the arrest as he could drive right up to the claim. Only thing was that one of the young men was carrying a concealed 45 ACP without a CC permit.

A friend of mine has mining lease rights on a very large area and has had several incidents of claim jumpers hitting his place as well as other claims within sight of his. Police are called but as the jumpers are out on a mountain side illegally searching tailings the police will not go out after them.

I know of another claim where every piece of mining equipment as well as the entire camp goods were stripped from the site.

Another miner had some of his equipment vandalized.

All of these are in Northern California. What do you have happening in your areas? Thanks for the inputs as I would just like to get a feeling about just how or what is taking place. Summer is coming and I plan on being out there but I'd like some input as to the kind of folks that might be out there this year. I know life for many is not very good but what types of choices are people in mining country making?..........63bkpkr

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bobsreturn

Greenie
May 27, 2011
far north queensland
Detector(s) used
whites gmt and 5000d
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sounds like you need one of those cattle electric fences and some fine wire , you will hear them when they contact it . problem may be forgetting about it . things have got worse since you couldnt hang them hi police dont like to see it anymore , but dont get caught speeding, best of luck Bob

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Hills Have Eyes

jessicastroup_1288199101.jpg

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering just how widespred this is. Is it just a small pocket of unhappy people in NorCal or is it more of a general condition facing the nation?? .....63bkpkr

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm wondering just how widespred this is. Is it just a small pocket of unhappy people in NorCal or is it more of a general condition facing the nation?? .....63bkpkr
I suspect, Herb, it will get worse as the price of gold goes out the roof. TTC

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Terry C.
And, even among those who are knowledgeable about claim jumping, they do it anyways!
63bkpkr, you said that police were called, crime in progress, claim lease papers in hand, and NO ACTION was taken?
That smacks of a lawsuit for the cops not doing their job!

just my 2 c

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I'm not surprised by this. I was thinking of going up into the hills north of Rich Bar and detecting for pockets myself. Those bench rock bar tailing up there that are visible haven't moved in 150 years. Can't say they are really being worked except right down in the Fether River Canyon on the wet claims.

I'm sure this is going on some, especially north of Red Bluff where all kinds of people are up in the hills. The fact that it is a claim and has work and improvements on it lets these types of people zero in and do it the easy way.

Law enforcement seems spread pretty thin in the Norhtern counties. You would probably have to catch them at it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this is starting to look like a wide spread and likely growing situation. Like TC suspects it is and will be associated to what happens with the price of precious metals.

It harkens back to historical stories of "bad guys" running amock in the old mine camps. I do not want to go negative about this but just be realistic about the possibilities.

Monday I checked the price on a can of pepper spray for Bears, so a big can of pepper spray at a cost of $40 plus tax. I really do not want to count on deadly force so I'm looking at alternatives to any need for self defense in the outback where The Law will be the integrity people have inside them wherever they go, or the lack thereof. Your thoughts on any other deterents would be useful.........63bkpkr

Last edited:

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not all in the boonies. Some people just don't care about the rules. I was camped at an LDMA (Stanton) site during one of their outings. I was not part of their outing. Two couples exchanged greetings with me while I was poking around some rocks in the wash. They where MD'ing. shortly after I went to my main dig. My ID bucket was at the site, my pick and shovel were in the hole, and it was clear that the dig was not abandoned. Not three feet from my shovel was a hole where an MDer dug up a pop can I knew I covered the day before. Now, suppose those same MDers dug up a nice nugget I was about to reach in the hole. (Who knows, maybe they did.) Do you think they would have thrown it back??? My point is that some people don't give a hoot about rules even if they are with a group event. They just smile and swing their detectors like no-one else matters. TKC

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI TKC,
I've made some bad choices in my life but at some point I woke up to the potential trouble I was headed for and corrected myself. There are those folks that do not understand what they are doing to themselves when they do something like they did at your dig as stupid stuff can lead to some harsh circumstances and that is what I want to stay clear of if at all possible. A person carries their law with them out and away from town and when folks choose to break the law well, things can go very wrong.......63bkpkr

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday I checked the price on a can of pepper spray for Bears, so a big can of pepper spray at a cost of $40 plus tax. I really do not want to count on deadly force so I'm looking at alternatives to any need for self defense in the outback where The Law will be the integrity people have inside them wherever they go, or the lack thereof. Your thoughts on any other deterents would be useful.........63bkpkr

Wasp Spray is more effective and way cheaper :icon_thumright:

*NOTE I was misinformed about using wasp spray on anything other than wasps.
Pepper spray is legal to use on a human attacker... wasp spray is federally regulated against such use.

Last edited:

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
What if you are detecting for artifacts or coins? Where the gold is too small [fine} to be detected?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One's reputation is only as good as the last time you screw up. TTC

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodGuy, have you used it for selfdefense against another person?

TimC & TerryC, I try my best to be a descent person with high integrity but with the laws of the state of CA it seems like they are blurred in favor of the bad guys. Reputation versus 'screw up', there are some close calls there. Reminds me of some comments in the movie "Hamburger Hill", something to do with clusters.

Barber, I'm sorry as I do not seem to follow the drift of your question. Artifacts/coins and such in Gold Country are FORBIDDEN to hunt for unless of course you are a Forest Ranger and are doing it for the U.S. Gov. and then it is perfectly legal

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodGuy, have you used it for selfdefense against another person?

No I haven't and it's probably a bad idea for two reasons.

(1) the warning on the label clearly states that "it is a violation of Federal law to use in a manner inconsistent with it's labeling"
(2) potential for lawsuit!

Instead I recommend: Fox Labs International Pepper spray.

bear_sign.jpg

Last edited:

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
If they are carrying 45's I wouldn't put much faith in pepper spray. Some one see you drawing it not good JMO.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb,

The problems you're describing with claim jumpers, thieves, and vandalism to mining camps is widespread. We've had lots of troubles up our way as well. It appears to be a societal ill, with fewer people respecting the rights and property of others. Moreover, some of the robberies have a professional touch now, and I'm sure I'll agree that if the price of gold stays high, it will only get worse.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread