Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wireless Headphones - Again Modified 01April

Hi All,
I'm sharing a recent "choice" of mine. I've been intrigued with the idea of wireless headphones AS they have no wires to hang up on me, bushes, trees, rocks and anything and everything that wires can and DO get hung up on while prospecting/coin shooting etc.

195_9544.JPG So here we have a pair of TDK WR 700 Wireless HiFi-Headphones that function on a 2.4GHz ISM band.

Included in the box: Headset, transmitter, patch cable, adapter plug, 4 AAA batteries, Instruction Book in many languages, cloth storage bag. I had never seen this headset before, knew nothing about it and purchased it because it use's AAA batteries for both the headset as well as the transmitter.

195_9545.JPG Here's the contents with the headset in listening position and they swivel to lay flat and click inward some for storage.

195_9546.JPG From here we want to change the location of the batteries to being inside the headset/transmitter. Both have slide off covers and the directions show you a bit of how to get them off but it takes some force to get them to move the first time.

195_9547.JPG The batteries are in, now to find the on/off buttons on the headphones & the transmitter. Turns out the buttons are the Light ports. There is a little bit of mystery to when the lights flash and what the various types of flashes mean but just follow the instruction book and you will get there. I'd advise using them on a DVD player first just to get used to them. I did and found the quality of the sound was amazing! Then I learned how to adjust the volume up/down and that the headset holds the volume setting it was at when it was shut off.

The transmitter is a bit clunky due to using the AAA batteries BUT I chose this fact as I use AAA batts in my headlamps, so a single source battery.

195_9548.JPG Here is the transmitter in the Gravity forced down position. I intend to add/make a little shelf for the transmitter to lay on. The transmitter body is plastic (as are the headphones) so I plan on trying to take care of them via the shelf 'thingy'.

195_9549.JPG And the Anti-Gravity up position.

OK, out to some grass for a test of the new Toy! I used my GMT for the test, set it up to the Whites 'diamond' settings and swept the area to get used to the sounds, note: electric lines overhead threw me off at first then I just adjusted the positions lower and all was fine. Then I realized I heard all this through my wireless headset for the first time. I set the headphone volume at maximum and the threshold at minimum, tossed a nickle on the ground and the machine quickly found it. The coil was directly over the target when the machine went ZIP OR, no lag in the signal. I tried this with a canadian penny and it worked the same way. As far as I'm concerned the headset/transmitter work perfectly with a detector, they are easy to use and no wires!! I'm thrilled.

OK, now for the touchy part - I found these at NewEgg and delivered to me they cost not quite $100.00

Again the fidelity of these HiFi headphones is very good. When I was listening to the Lord of the Rings movie, using the WR700, I noticed I could distinctly hear words I'd not been able to hear using a wired set of cheap headphones. I am pleased with my purchase and I hope this input is useful to others thinking about finding a wireless headset to use with a detector as well as listening to movies or music with...........63bkpkr

195_9543.JPG Gee, I wonder how this picture got here? Just another point of view....

April 01, 2012 Addendum to original post:

I was searching through some electronics 'stuff' and came up with this Right Angle adapter plug that WILL be part of the final configuration for the Wireless Transmitter. Check the 3 pictures

195_9554.JPG 195_9553.JPG 195_9555.JPG

With this configuration the tranmitter is much closer to the box, the transmitter can be flipped vertical and then a simple right angle can be glued to the bottom of the box that will protect the transmitter from being damaged in the "out-back". By Jove, I think if got it! 63

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Had to post this 63....

[h=2]Featured Item[/h] $229.99
$79.99
Free Shipping

TDK WR700 3.5mm Connector On-Ear Wireless Headphone $79.99 Free Shipping

Newegg has the TDK WR700 3.5mm Connector On-Ear Wireless Headphone for a low $79.99. Free Shipping after Coupon Code: "EMCNGHA89" (Exp 4/4). Tax in CA, NJ, TN. [Compare Prices] Unlike Bluetooth wireless headphones, these are built using Kleers exclusive lossless, wireless audio technology. The TDK WR700 wireless headphones deliver uncompressed, CD quality 16-bit 44 KHz-digital audio. You can also pair another set of these with the base so two people can listen at the same time.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Hefty!! Just goes to show that if one checks around "a little bit more" that money can be saved. I will check with NewEgg to see about a refund...63bkpkr

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you notice much more weight with the wireless phones? I think you are wise to devise some sort of protection for your sending unit . Certainly a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... Especially if you are down in a canyon and they should fail.. Happy Hunting....

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Oakview 2,
My wired set of headphones are the Killer Bee's so I'd say I feel less weight with the wireless as the cord is not hanging down and I think the sound reproduction is better with the TDK wireless.....63bkpkr

TarheelPanner

Mar 26, 2012
Mebane, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That actually seems like a good investment there 63bkpkr. I'd probably pick myself up a pair if I had a MD to use it with haha.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Tarheel Panner, they work really good for listening to music or watching a DVD with so don't hold off just because you do not have a detector. :happy3:
And remember Hefty found a coupon for $10 off so do not forget to use it!

Hi Nitro/Glen, the TDK headset features something called "Kleer Wireless Audio Technology" whatever that is but NO time lag between the coil going over a target and the signal being sent!!!!!! It all happens in real time like right now. They will keep the ears nice and warm this summer but that is true with most any over the ear set. I will truly enjoy this early birthday present! And thank you for confirming it is a problem with Blue Tooth sets......63bkpkr

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Why do people knock BLUE TOOTH? I have a set from AIRHEADZ that work great, have no lag time, Are there other Bluetooths out there that I'm not aware of?

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup there are a lot of bluetooths out there as the USB plug is so common on all sorts of current electronic items. The old style "jack plug" is from ~ the early 1930's. 63bkpkr

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting this and thanks to hefty1 for the newegg coupon code! I was wondering what I was gonna buy with the newegg gift certificate I had that was about to expire.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah Shucks, just trying to keep the spirit of this site going! Glad it has been of use to you, I know I like my headset and with a few mods to keep the plastic parts safe "out there" I expect to use this setup for many years of enjoyment. Hefty 1 is a good guy but how he came up with that coupon well, it beats the dickens out of me. That 90 degree Radio Shack adapter sure makes a nice difference in how much of the transmitter is exposed. Enjoy.........63bkpkr

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
This is a follow up on Hefty 1's reply about a NewEgg coupon for the headset. I just got off the phone with them, they looked up the coupon that has a specific start date and end date. As it turns out my order came in before the coupon start date but, since I told her that I'd shared my purchase with others her supervisor told her to honor the coupon for my order. Thank you Hefty 1 and thank you NewEgg for an even better experience than I'd already had!! And now for some headphone wireless detecting with an extra $10 back in my virtual wallet......63bkpkr

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 63, these seem to be a good solution to my many problems with the dam wire, that always was, where it always didn't ought to be. Nuggy

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nuggy,
I am quite pleased with them, used them this evening to listen to a DVD I was watching comfortable for the 1.5 hours and good sound reproduction.

As I will be backpacking these items in they will be buried in my pack. I've purchased a hard plastic case for that purpose but I've yet to find "the case I really want". I'm looking for one of those very hard shell units that are watertight, think Pellican case, but do not cost an arm and a leg to buy and yet the earphones just fit into it. I've seen them at a Wally World store but so far I've not refound that particular store. Likely I need to try online, silly me......63bkpkr

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love newegg. I ordered this on monday afternoon and within a few hours, I got an email saying that it had shipped. I did not bother to check the tracking as normally, it takes a day or two to show up on the UPS site. Imagine my surprise when I checked it on Tuesday morning. Tracking showed that it was on the truck for delivery. I was listening to tunes on the computer that night and they are amazing. If anyone is still on the fence for this deal, you better jump as this coupon expires today.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my 2nd try at posting this so you might just find two similar posts. I could not find a heavy duty box for keeping the headphones safe while I'm backpacking. I had to settle for a food storage container made by Snapware, it's a 4.5 cup-medium size, 100% airtight/leakproof "Snap 'n Lock Box". The headset in its cloth case just slides into it and the lid just goes on, making it a Goldy Locks Box as it is Just Right! I purchased the box at a "Bed Bath & Beyond" store or better known as a household supply store.

While I was out I stopped at a Home Depot Store and purchsed a Velcro Product called "One-Wrap". It's a 12' roll of double sided velcro that I will make detector cable hold downs from it and I will make them a little longer than the stock ones that came with my 3 Whites detectors.

Okay, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Lets all go out and have some fun.........63bkpkr

Attachments

• 195_9557.JPG
    195_9557.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 195_9558.JPG
    195_9558.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 195_9559.JPG
    195_9559.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Why do people knock BLUE TOOTH? I have a set from AIRHEADZ that work great, have no lag time, Are there other Bluetooths out there that I'm not aware of?

The Airheadz are not your normal blue tooth headphones. They also cost a lot more than most people are willing to pay for headphones. You have the Cadillac of wireless headphones.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb....I'll partly repeat my post over on the TDI thread. Your contribution with this thread about your wireless headphones seems to me to be an important one. Especially to many of us old timers that may not keep up with fancy technical improvements that can be adapted to our hobby. Many thanks Herb, we appreciate your willingness to share your successful ideas to our benefit. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions