Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
We went to the GPAA show in town and purchased our first metal detector. A Whites GMT and they made us a great deat to boot. Also bought a pick, a new classifier, and a new pan my son took a fancy to.... Life doesn't get much better. We have a large collection of nails, pull tabs, lead sinkers, and a old railroad spike and other assorted highly treasured momentos. It was a great day

Attachments

• 4-1-2012 001.JPG
    4-1-2012 001.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 4-1-2012 002.JPG
    4-1-2012 002.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 4-1-2012 003.JPG
    4-1-2012 003.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 0

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
The company you have with you can beat a good find any day.

Megagold

Mar 3, 2012
Calif by the Bay
Detector(s) used
MXT- AT Pro- Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you had a great day with your son at the GPAA show. Congrats on the new detector and eqipment!

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the great responses and the like. We are dying to get out in the field, but my son is gone for four days to a baseball tournament, maybe on Friday or Saturday. We would love to find some old mine dumps or tailing piles that are on property that is accessible, not claimed to the public......

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oakview2 & Son,
Welcome to both of you to the site, your "NEW" GMT and loads of time together looking for great targets! Being out with children & family members IS the best Find you will ever have, I have three now grown children who still talk about their trips with Dad out into the hills, Wonderful Memories for all of us.

You have a great machine, I know I own one though it has a few scratches in it. The best thing I ever did for myself and my GMT was to read the manual over and over and carry a copy of it with me, this is because I do not get a chance to use it all year so I get rusty. I've just purchased a set of TDK WR700 wireless headphones for my detecting and they are Great. Got them at NewEgg and they had a coupon for another $10 off. Better than the price is how well they work with the GMT, my DVD player and everything else I have that sends out a signal. No more cords caught up in bushes.

I also have the smallest coil as well as the largest coil, the smallest coil makes real sense to own while the largest coil has limited use due to its size and weight. Whites has a program called "customer stories" and when a customer sends in a story about how they used their Whites detector especially with a few pictures of the find showing the detector "out there" they may want to use your story on their website. To gain your permission to use your story they offer a generous coupon good for Whites Accessories like COILS. The coupons I've received for each or my stories were both for $100 towards accs. I purchased the large coil using one of the coupons and the other coupon I was allowed to use for repairs to my XLT AND with the funds not used for repair they included Whites incidentals and they are handy. What I'm getting at is that your wonderful time has just started depending on your choice of what you do with the detector. Even out in the mountains it is a very Wise policy to refill your search holes ESPECIALLY with the current atmosphere in California with all forms of the Government that is supposed to 'serve' us ORDERING us out of our own forests, rivers and streams and taking away our rights to be out there.

With the detector, be sure and try using the machine on maximum settings as the filtering in the machine changes over when used at max settings, this is covered with a brief note in the manual. My GMT has sniffed out various amounts of gold, not major quantities but any amount is fun to find.

I wish you Great Success and enjoyment ............63bkpkr

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to the GPAA show is like my wife going to a shoe store!

You will never make enough time now that the bug has bit you.

Have fun.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oakview,

Welcome to the wonderful world of detecting for gold. There's no tonic better anywhere in the world than some good gold detecting, especially when you're taking your son along.

Keep swinging that detector and sooner or later you'll get it over the gold. It will help greatly to thoroughly know the contents of your owner's manual. That way you'll get the most out of your machine, and have the best chance of hearing the gold when you're hunting trashy areas.

All the best,

Lanny

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Life DOES get better. When you park that coil above that nuggie! But, no doubt, the BEST nuggies are the friends and family you have, sharing those moments. You bought a DYNAMITE machine. TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will recover even more gold when you learn to listen for the barely audible fluctuation of a faint signal :icon_thumright:

Go for the gold!
GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
We are hoping to get there, plenty of practicing and checking the manual and DVD

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oakview, you certainly are close to gold country there in Prather. How have you done with your new detector?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend all the time you can with them now....they grow up way too fast and you can never go back. :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For every trash target you recover you are that much closer to a treasure :thumbsup:
And of course the time you spend together is a treasure in itself.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread