63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never been there myself but you could contact USGS or BLM to see if they have any input on historical gold finds in that area. Just a thought.....63bkpkr

OP
OP
W

wally62us

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of book about all the spanish armor and gold that has been found there. And I mean lots of gold. But I think it has alot of minerals. So I was wondering if a metal detector would do me any good to use up there. I am new to the game so I do not know the deal with soil that has alot of minerals.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A metal detector would be just the tool :icon_thumright:
Along with a sharp eye and lots of hiking.

Who knows, you may even stumble onto the "Lost Rhodes Mine" or the "Lost ledge of Gold" or any number of lost treasure legends of the Uintah's

GG~

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
A bit of history of what form the natural gold was found in the area will help, or if there was silver there too. If the gold was fine placer, your detector may not find it easily. If it was tied up in sulfides, then no detector will find it. A lot of gold specific detectors can find rice grain sized gold, as well as larger. Expect lots of iron/steel trash if it was worked by miners in the past.

There are very few places that have Gold and don't have mineralization (hot and cold rocks), some are far worse than others.

Get yourself some practice targets (tiny pieces of gold that are glued to a poker chip - you want to be able to find them again pretty easily) to work with in your own yard and then also bring those with you to test the ground you are hunting on - they will help you get more comfortable with the mineralization, and allow you to be sure that you can at least find your practice targets out in the field.

If you can't find small targets when there is little mineralization, you won't find anything of value when there is a lot of it.

I have seen different sized gold / plastic poker chip practice targets for sale on eBay.com. Stay away from clay based poker chips - they tend to behave just like mineralized hot rocks to your metal detector.

Don't forget to bring a gold pan - You may find some pay streaks with your detector that you want to process with the pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions