Looking for first gold detector

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been a lurker around this site for a while now and have gained a lot of valuable tips.

I am currently looking at buying my first detector (for gold only) and have read all these threads about which ones to buy. I know there is a thread about the Gold Bug and the Whites GMT and I have read it a couple of times, but I have a few questions regarding my locations (Northern California) that I would like some advice on.

Right now I am leaning towards the GMT. The grounds that I will be detecting are very hot and mineralized. I will be mostly poking around small streams that have shallow bedrock composed primarily of slate, limestone, chert, and metavolcanics. I also know there there is an abundance of iron pyrite as well as arsenopyrite and magnetite.

I just wanted to know if these were the right types of machines that I should be looking at or not.

Thanks
CalGeo

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh Reg, that was a GREAT post! I mean, I don't even like the TDI and I thought you made some very good points - Excellent! :thumbsup:

CalGeo,

I have the Tesoro LST, a GM 4 but not the GMT, and I have a TDI and a TDI SL. With that said, I can say the TDI and SL are tough detectors that will take abuse. I know, I bounce mine around quite a bit and they still work fine.

The LST is also good detector but outdated in some ways. In fact, I did the field test of the LST For Lost treasure back in the late 90's so I am quite familiar with just how that detector works also.

Picking a detector is a personal choice and is something you probably should make on your own after trying the finalists you have in mind. I recommend you try to find someone who has one of those you are thinking about and see if you can tag along to see how it works. Each of us has likes and dislikes and there is no one detector that does it all or one that is perfect in all aspects. Unfortunately, it does take a while to get used to any detector and many people don't have the patience to learn some of the complexities that are involved with some of them. That is why it is not that uncommon to see a basically new detector for sale.

The TDI and TDI SL are PI's, which act differently than a VLF and won't find gold as small as the VLF's but are also not plagued by the black sand that can cause issues with the VLF's mentioned.

If the area you will be hunting mainly has very small gold, then the VLF's will probably be the best choice. One grain or sub grain gold is found easier with a VLF and most likely will be ignored when using a PI like one of the TDI's. Here in Colorado, the VLF is more common and is the more likely choice. I have, however, been successful with a PI here so, I carry both.

I have hunted about every type ground both here in CO and in AZ, including Rich Hill in AZ. In fact, I used to be friends with the previous owners, the late Jack Culp and his wife Laura. So, I was lucky enough to hunt the private ground (the famous Potato Patch) with the owners many years ago.

Now, just where I have hunted has nothing to do with your choice except that I have hunted some of the really bad ground many people talk about, so I know what to expect.

All the detectors mentioned should serve you well. The auto ground balance on the LST works fine, but I don't like the idea you can't turn it off. I prefer the Alkali mode for reasons not normally mentioned, but noted in my field test. However, in the Alkali mode, finding certain meteorites can be a problem.

The ground grab or whatever you want to call it on the GMT works well also. Again, I have used one but don't own one. I hope to get one in the near future though.

The PI's, the TDI and the SL are better at handling some of the really bad ground, but do suffer when it comes to detecting the very small gold. People have found 1 grainers with them but at the same time, similar size nuggets will simply not be detected because of the nugget characteristics. When the gold gets above several grains, then the PI has a tendency to excel. Increase the size to a few grams, and again, the PI will quite often find them deeper. There will be exceptions but as a general rule, the PI does have some advantages when hunting the larger gold.

Regardless of which detector you select, practice and testing are the key to success. Issues such as how easily a piece of magnetite or a granite rock with magnetite in it can mask a gold nugget are things one should know about. This isn't much of a problem with a PI since magnetite is generally ignored by the TDI family.

Reg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors are just like women--one mans heaven is yet anothers LL...My 3 have been with me for years--unlike all my wives hahaha, and much more reliable GB2(lookn' for the new Gold Bug Pro) Tesoro Lobo ST and my crazy ol' righteous notch machine Golden Sabre--smallest coils rock om all dedicated gold machines--Each shines in their own area of expertise and NONE find squat in the closet gathering dust. tons a au 2 u2 -John

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing about the Garrett AT Gold? Did I make the wrong purchase?

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chatman,

I didn't mention the AT Gold because I have never tried one. Now that I am retired, my toy buying has slowed down a lot so I don't get to try all the goodies like I used to.

Now, with that said, I would like to say, I think everyone at one time or the other wonders if they made the right choice after they purchase a detector.What's worse is you will find a quirk or two that will bug you and see something or read something about a different detector that will further make you wonder.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you and simply take time to learn all the nuances of your detector. That is half the battle of any machine whether it be the low end model or the most expensive. Each and every one has its good and bad points, advantages and disadvantages. The more you learn about your detector, the greater the chances of success.

I have no doubt it will find gold or other valuable items for that matter. It is simply a matter of getting the coil over a good object within the range of the coil and having the detector set properly.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Reg

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reg has given you some very sound advice.

All the best,

Lanny

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, Reg! That was a good post. You need to post more often. I, personally, would like to see more of the same! Tnx. TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, Reg! That was a good post. You need to post more often. I, personally, would like to see more of the same! Tnx. TTC

I'm with Terry on this one Reg--anytime you're ready, it would be appreciated.

All the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Reg,
I will be the third person to invite you to post more as your comments are well stated as well as informative.

Thank you for sharing........63bkpkr

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have and use both the LST and the GMT. I use the LST when I go up and down steep tailing piles, and hills that I climb using my paleo pick to assist myself up with one hand and the LST in the other. The weight and size of the LST in that kind of situation is perfect, although I sometimes change the coil to to one of the 5.25's because that 10" elliptical is a little heavy. I think the auto GB is more responsive on the GMT, and you can turn the GB to manual on the GMT. That has been one of my gripes with the LST, you can't turn the GB to manual. Also the GB not adjustable in Disc mode. I wish Tesoro would update some of these things on the existing line that users have been complaining about for years. Whites, and Garrett is moving right along with new machines or updates all the time.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that the AT gold is a great machine. I'm looking at the Nokta golden sense. It's supposed to go really deep. Good luck!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The AT Gold seems to be a solid performer, I've been considering it because it is water proof to 10'. That's perfect for getting those chunks of gold in the rivers that no one else is targeting. There are two other detectors that are waterproof VLF's, The Tesoro Tiger Shark, waterproof to 200', but doesn't have as many features as the AT Gold. The Tiger Shark's main strengths are the depth it can go to, you won't have to worry about making a mistake and crushing the seal. The other strength is the lifetime warrenty. The Tiger Shark will do the exact same thing that the AT Gold will do, so if you want it for water hunting the Tesoro is better. I think a side-by-side comparison would be interesting. The Minelab Excaliber II, it has great features that rival the AT Gold, but it costs around $1200.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a head's up on the Lobo Super Traq - Most of the new LST's coming off the production line are being snapped up by a distributor who is shipping them to Guyana, where they are the preferred machine in the new placer gold rush. They sell there for $1,200.00 - $1,500.00 each. So if you are having trouble finding one, now you know why.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread