Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Looking for first gold detector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2011
    Austin, TX and Motherlode
    32 times
    Prospecting

Looking for first gold detector

I have been a lurker around this site for a while now and have gained a lot of valuable tips.

I am currently looking at buying my first detector (for gold only) and have read all these threads about which ones to buy. I know there is a thread about the Gold Bug and the Whites GMT and I have read it a couple of times, but I have a few questions regarding my locations (Northern California) that I would like some advice on.

Right now I am leaning towards the GMT. The grounds that I will be detecting are very hot and mineralized. I will be mostly poking around small streams that have shallow bedrock composed primarily of slate, limestone, chert, and metavolcanics. I also know there there is an abundance of iron pyrite as well as arsenopyrite and magnetite.

I just wanted to know if these were the right types of machines that I should be looking at or not.

Thanks
    CalGeo

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    'South' Texas
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    1433 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Well calgeologist welcome to Tnet! I own the GMT with all three coils and a new set of wireless TDK 700 earphones, see the thread in this area Wireless Headphones - Again. I've had the GMT for several years but had not used it enough at first to really Begin to know it. In 2010 I used it to find about a quarter oz of nice gold nugget flakes, 1/8" - 1/4" diameter ~ 0.015" thick, look back in the 2010 September posts in this area for pictures. Last year I went out bedrock hunting per Lanny's instructions and found gold in solid rock, well almost solid rock with cracks as its the cracks that allow the gold to get under the rock. I find the Auto Ground Balance to be the thing for me. Whatever of these two machines you purchase read the manuals over and over and get out there and learn how to use them over and over....Best of success......63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Feb 2012
    Prather CA
    Whites GMT
    1734 times
    Finding GOLD
    I would love to see the posts of your finds, but am unable to find the posts as of yet. Could you post the name of the thread or a link to them. Would love to see your finds. Happy Hunting....
    "The most inspiring thing about gold, is not the value, but under magnification, the true beauty of each piece. They are truly like snowflakes that never melt." Oakview2

us
    Oct 2011
    Austin, TX and Motherlode
    32 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 63bkpkr View Post
    Well calgeologist welcome to Tnet! I own the GMT with all three coils and a new set of wireless TDK 700 earphones, see the thread in this area Wireless Headphones - Again. I've had the GMT for several years but had not used it enough at first to really Begin to know it. In 2010 I used it to find about a quarter oz of nice gold nugget flakes, 1/8" - 1/4" diameter ~ 0.015" thick, look back in the 2010 September posts in this area for pictures. Last year I went out bedrock hunting per Lanny's instructions and found gold in solid rock, well almost solid rock with cracks as its the cracks that allow the gold to get under the rock. I find the Auto Ground Balance to be the thing for me. Whatever of these two machines you purchase read the manuals over and over and get out there and learn how to use them over and over....Best of success......63bkpkr
    Thanks for the response. I have read about many of your trips and they sound like a blast. Anyways I am going to get the GMT after doing a bit more research last night. May I ask where you bought yours?
    Diggit likes this.

us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    The GMT is a fine choice and a good machine,you will be happy with your purchase.

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1650 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Calgeo, The GMT is a DYNAMITE machine. I bought both the GMT and GB2 at the same time. Got to test BOTH side by side. I chose the GB2 and my brother TimC now has the GMT. I posted on both. If you cannot find my videos on the machines, youtube has the original videos. Use terry cieszki to see them. If you can plant the coil above some nuggets, the GMT will find them for you. VERY sensitive machine. TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3341 times
    Metal Detecting
    Just to throw a curveball... You may also want to check out the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq (which was designed by the same engineer that designed the GMT), as it has Automatic ground balance and tracking. We use this machine at our gold prospecting school near Rich Hill, Arizona for several reasons. Easy to learn and use, just as sensitive as the GMT and GBII, made in Arizona, and a lifetime warranty. It is also a kick-butt coin and relic shooter..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us

Jun 2008
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1650 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Just to throw a curveball... You may also want to check out the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq (which was designed by the same engineer that designed the GMT), as it has Automatic ground balance and tracking. We use this machine at our gold prospecting school near Rich Hill, Arizona for several reasons. Easy to learn and use, just as sensitive as the GMT and GBII, made in Arizona, and a lifetime warranty. It is also a kick-butt coin and relic shooter..
    Terry, If you are in the Rich Hill area in all of May.... It's time we met! TimC and I will look for you. May I send a PM? Tnx. TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3341 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
    Terry, If you are in the Rich Hill area in all of May.... It's time we met! TimC and I will look for you. May I send a PM? Tnx. TTC

PM me anytime Terry! or email me TerrySoloman@aol.com I don't think I am going to get out there again this Season. I was just there last month to film a segment for an upcoming special on the History Channel with Robert Martensen, Calvin Bunker, Mike Furness, Chris and Steve Gholson, Bret Chilcott and a few others. I would enjoy meeting you as well!
    Last edited by Terry Soloman; Apr 19, 2012 at 06:02 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1871 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Enjoyed the slide show Terry !
    Those nuggets on the slide show are huge .....that what you guarantee your adventure clients will find ? If so, sign me up

I did recommend your company to a Buckeye headed to Arizona to prospect for the first time. GO WEST YOUNG MAN

Think he and his son left for AZ from Ohio on a greyhound bus a couple of days ago for an adventure they wont soon forget.
    Cant wait to hear the details when they return. The real gold will be in the time they are spending together.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Apr 19, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

us

Jun 2008
    1650 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Whoa, Terry! Looks like I'll need to get an AUTOGRAPH when we meet! (ha ha!). I will certainly watch the special you helped to put together. Also need to look up Calvin Bunker to get 2 or 3 FOOT PRINTS. Outstanding required tools for AZ miners! Thanks for the info. Soon! TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us

Jun 2008
    1650 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
    Enjoyed the slide show Terry !
    Those nuggets on the slide show are huge .....that what you guarantee your adventure clients will find ? If so, sign me up

I did recommend your company to a Buckeye headed to Arizona to prospect for the first time. GO WEST YOUNG MAN

Think he and his son left for AZ from Ohio on a greyhound bus a couple of days ago for an adventure they wont soon forget.
    Cant wait to hear the details when they return. The real gold will be in the time they are spending together.

GG~
    Slow down just a LITTLE bit, GoodGuy. That pic of Gohlson is probably recent, but he may be showing some nugs he picked up in a recent trip to Australia. The trip is featured in the most recent copy of Gold Prospecters. They look familiar but ..... yes, page 10 of the MAR/APR Gold Prospecters shows Gohlson holding a few LARGE nugs and I can see that at least one appears (to me) to be one shown in the slides. We'll have to wait for the History channel special to be sure. Stay thirsty, my friend. TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us

Jun 2008
    1650 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Ok, Terry. Tell me why my next machine will be a Tesoro and not a Whites TDI (PI) machine? I've been looking at the Whites yet will honor your opinion. I, and others I know, respect your opinion. Tnx. TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    3341 times
    Metal Detecting
    Slow down just a LITTLE bit, GoodGuy. That pic of Gohlson is probably recent, but he may be showing some nugs he picked up in a recent trip to Australia. The trip is featured in the most recent copy of Gold Prospecters. They look familiar but ..... yes, page 10 of the MAR/APR Gold Prospecters shows Gohlson holding a few LARGE nugs and I can see that at least one appears (to me) to be one shown in the slides. We'll have to wait for the History channel special to be sure. Stay thirsty, my friend. TTC

Yes Terry is correct. The nuggets Chris is holding are nuggies I asked him to bring, as EXAMPLES of large natural gold nuggets - they were NOT found that day. The special is titled, "What is the Earth Worth?," and our segment "illustrates" gold. Then there's diamonds, copper, timber, yadda-yadda-yadda.. It is not about prospecting. That is one of the reasons I agreed to do the shoot. It isn't reality TV, it is a documentary. All of us brought some big gold to show, but of course, Chris and Steve ALWAYS steal the show!

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    3341 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ok, Terry. Tell me why my next machine will be a Tesoro and not a Whites TDI (PI) machine? I've been looking at the Whites yet will honor your opinion. I, and others I know, respect your opinion. Tnx. TTC
    That is actually a tough call T. I have swung the TDI in California, and Arizona, and I didn't like it. My buddy however - who does find gold with it, would give you his dog before parting with his! I will stay with the Lobo for a couple of reasons 1) Weight 2) Durability 3) Battery life 4) Auto ground balance and tracking 5) Price 6) I find gold with it 7) It is made by my friends in Prescott, AZ, and guaranteed for life..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2grams4inces.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	628410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TesoroGold 004.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	628411  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors