Best Gold Detector

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I don't have a gold detector, but have heard great things about the Lobo Super Traq from Tesoro. Others may have a better opinion. But I figured this would be a least a starting point for you. Hope it helps.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GB2 and the Tesoro LST are fine with me. The truth of the whole matter is there are a lot of great vlf detectors put out BUT it's the man behind the machine that makes ALL the difference. Nugget hunting is 100 times the hardest form of detecting there is,so ya better have some coin and relic experience under your belt. I've swung,sold and used detectors for over 45 years now and you are graced with fantastic small coils of great configurations,lifetime warranties for original purchaser, and good customer support as long as you buy from a local dealer. Don't buy discount because when the checks cashed and your 2,000 miles don't expect squat!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John ;D

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1000.00 $ NEW OR USED ???? BIG DIFFERENCE.

AND THE QUESTION YOU ASKED IS REALLY A BROAD ONE WE COULD GO INTO OTHER DETAILS ABOUT YOUR NEEDS BUT FOR NOW READ ON.

FOR 1000.00 ACTUALLY LESS THAN 1000. THERE ARE NUMEROUS VLF MACHINES AND 1 P.I. MACHINE THAT I KNOW OF THE GARRETT
INFINIUM, VLF's WILL DO THE JOB, ONCE YOU BECOME ASTUTE AND ENGULFED IN THE HOBBY YOU MAY WANT A DEEPER SEEKING UNIT SUCH AS THE P.I. UNITS. YOU CAN FIND MINELAB P.I. UNITS USED GENERALLY AROUND 8-9 -1000 AND UP DEPENDING ON THEIR AGE AND ACCESSORIES, BUT ITS TOUGH FINDING A REALLY GOOD COND. MINELAB P.I. FOR THAT MONEY.

I WOULD RECCOMEND YOUR RESEARCHING THE VLF's
HERES A LIST TO BEGIN THERE ARE MORE COMPANYS THAT HAVE SOME MODELS AVAILABLE BUT THESE ARE THE BIG ONES TO START RESEARCHING, HAVE FUN LEARNING THATS WHAT IT ALL ABOUT

MINELAB X-TERRA'S AND EUREKA MODELS

TESORO LOBO ST
TESORO DIABLO

FISHER GOLD BUG AND GOLD BUG 2

AND MY NEW FAVORITE FOR GOLD AND METEORITES
WHITES GMT

THERE ARE OTHER WHITES GOLDMASTER MACHINES ALSO

THERES ALSO THE NEWER WHITES MXT COMBINATION MACHINE
FOR COINS/RELIC/GOLD

GARRETT MAKES VLFS FOR GOLD BUT I HAVENT HEARD MUCH FROM PEOPLE IN THE FIELD AS THE VLF UNITS BEING A GOOD CHOICE IT DEPENDS ON YOUR AREA GEOLOGY MOST LIKELY

THERE ARE MORE, YOU CAN SEARCH OTHER COMPANYS. YOU SHOULD TAKE THE TIME TO READ AND IF POSSIBLE SEEK OUT SOME INDIVIDUALS WHO OWN VARIOUS MACHINES TO ASK THEM THEIR PROS AN CONS

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
thanks for the suggestions
I have a Garett Scorpion Goldstinger but it is maddening to operate and it doesent seem to work well on mineralized earth
i definitley wanna get something more modern and more specialized 4 gold
I'll look into the Whites GMT

r49miner

Sep 12, 2006
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the Infinium, plus you can use it on the beach or in the water up to 200 feet deep. Or my second choice would be used Minelab for GOLD.

Willy

One thing you outta figure out is what size gold you're after. The GB2, GMT, older Goldmasters, will find veritable specks of gold.. maybe too small. The LST, MXT, X5 and such will find subgrain gold to, say, 1/3 grain. PI's won't be finding this small stuff, even if you rub em on the coil. They will, however, find larger stuff at, generally, greater depths. I'd hold off on buying a PI for the moment.. there's some new stuff coming down the pipe thatmight make you regret buying one. There are also areas where VLF's are superior to PI's because of unique ground conditions. The hell of it is that, whichever you buy (PI or VLF), they'll both find gold and find it deep. ...Willy.

T

TreasureTales

I've got a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. I've had it for about 7-8 years. It has a lifetime warranty and it's easy to operate. It also has a built-in pinpoint function. I've only used it twice for nugget hunting -- was successful once. Found a nugget about the size of a 00 buck shot. I believe the model has been discontinued, but I see some brand new ones for sale on eBay at around $650 or so. Use the spare money (difference between $1,000.00 and the price of the machine plus shipping) to buy yourself some really good headphones and a handheld GPS unit, then hit the trail!! Good Luck!!!!!!

OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
wow that article is so awesome it really gives good info on the gold detectors
Hmm... i really like the looks of the MXT and the GMT
I dont know which one is best. Seeing as i want to find the small stuff because thats all that there is in my area

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of ther best detectors on the market are by Eric Foster. He is the Pulse Induction Master. Pulse Induction is the way to go.

Follow this link to the site that sells them:

http://www.surfscanner.com/Surfscan3/EFoster.html

I am not affiliated with either Eric Foster or Surfscanner. I have several Minelabs (SD2000, Excalibur, and Quattro), but The Foster PI units are great (especially for the money).

Best,

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread