I am spending 1000 dollars tomorrow on a gold detector! please help! tesoro,or whites

routinepursuit

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a Tesoro SuperTraq yesterday, did a fair amount of research - my first gold specific machine. Took it out for few hours, very sensitive and easy to use.

OP
OP
pistol perfect

pistol perfect

Feb 7, 2008
southern california
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug pro
thats what I was thinking about tesoro also but they have no good videos on you tube or any decent gold reviews online! most reviews I have found are about finding coins not gold??? you would think that a person would master the machine and post videos on you tube of them in the field finding gold! very strange!!!! the reviews I have found say the machine cant find gold 1 gram or smaller!!!!!!

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
thats what I was thinking about tesoro also but they have no good videos on you tube or any decent gold reviews online! most reviews I have found are about finding coins not gold??? you would think that a person would master the machine and post videos on you tube of them in the field finding gold! very strange!!!! the reviews I have found say the machine cant find gold 1 gram or smaller!!!!!!

Most of the Tesoros aren't that great for gold prospecting (nor does Tesoro claim they are as far as I know), that's why you don't see much online about that. The LST however was designed specifically for gold prospecting and under favorable conditions can find gold down into the sub-grain range.

Meanwhile, there are other good machines in roughly the same price range, particularly the Fisher "new Gold Bugs", and Tek G2 which is functionally the same thing. These machines are versatile and easy to learn, and you'll also find them useful for beeping the targets your E-trac and Prizm missed due to masking.

--Dave J.

PS: Before plunking down your money, I recommend reading my book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector", available online as a .pdf document on both the Fisher and Teknetics websites. Even if you wind up getting a machine that isn't a Tek or Fisher, at least you'll have some idea how to use it effectively.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a Tesoro Lobo for 12 years, and never had a problem with it. I live in ohio, so not alot of chances for nuggets, but in all metal mode you can locate tiny pieces of metal (lead shot.) It's taken alot of abuse from me and never faltered.
Life time warranty.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PistolPerfect Good Morning,
Terry Soloman uses the Tesoro Lobo ST at his mining site/training camp in the desert, he knows what he's doing with this machine and he likes it. Me I own a Whites GMT and it has found gold for me though I'm in the mountains in northern California. The GMT is my second all gold machine, used to have a gold bug, and the GMT is the only machine to find gold out in the mountains. Takes lots of work and practice regardless of which machine you buy!!!...63bkpkr

188_8852.JPG

185_8517.JPG

191_9175.JPG

Last edited:

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a machine what would be great for tailings. I have recently met someone that has old gold mines on his property and he wants to go through the tailings for gold specifically. I am in the California Gold Country. Anyone that want's to suggest machines for this purpose, would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking the GMT after seeing the video above Price may be an issue. I have a Garrett Groundhog, but not certain it works correctly.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking for a machine what would be great for tailings. I have recently met someone that has old gold mines on his property and he wants to go through the tailings for gold specifically. I am in the California Gold Country. Anyone that want's to suggest machines for this purpose, would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking the GMT after seeing the video above Price may be an issue. I have a Garrett Groundhog, but not certain it works correctly.
Mariposa, There are people above who KNOW what they are talking about! 63, Woof, and others... where is Terry Soloman?? I would suggest the Gold Bug 2, as I use it. I have found a little nugget, 1.68 grams. The GB2 is also a good tailings machine as it is manually ground balanced. The GMT can be used but only in manual mode. Auto ground balance will not work for tailings as the auto system must use the ground for reference. It cannot be held in the air (while in auto mode). TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the help! I am pretty much now sold on the gmt or gold bug 2!

You cant go wrong with either machine :icon_thumleft:
And yes you can null out hot rocks even on tailing piles with the GMT!

Everything you wanted to know about the GMT in a complete 6 part instructional video presented by experts and engineers who helped develop the detector.

GG~

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the Tesoros aren't that great for gold prospecting (nor does Tesoro claim they are as far as I know), that's why you don't see much online about that. The LST however was designed specifically for gold prospecting and under favorable conditions can find gold down into the sub-grain range.

Meanwhile, there are other good machines in roughly the same price range, particularly the Fisher "new Gold Bugs", and Tek G2 which is functionally the same thing. These machines are versatile and easy to learn, and you'll also find them useful for beeping the targets your E-trac and Prizm missed due to masking.

--Dave J.

PS: Before plunking down your money, I recommend reading my book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector", available online as a .pdf document on both the Fisher and Teknetics websites. Even if you wind up getting a machine that isn't a Tek or Fisher, at least you'll have some idea how to use it effectively.
Yes i have that book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector " By Woof....aka D.J....Very good information i would say you should read that book it will help you out...... The more info you take in the better you will be at what ever you do...

OP
OP
pistol perfect

pistol perfect

Feb 7, 2008
southern california
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug pro
thanks kuger! I allmost purchased the wrong machine! I found a mint gmt on craigslist for 500 firm. it has everything like new! box,2 sets of headphones,plastic scoop.etc

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks kuger! I allmost purchased the wrong machine! I found a mint gmt on craigslist for 500 firm. it has everything like new! box,2 sets of headphones,plastic scoop.etc

Thats not a bad price,have fun!!!!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

What are you waiting for... go buy it.. at that price it's a great deal.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can't go wrong with that price. When you get a chance get the small shooter coil.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice nugget finds:icon_thumleft:,

JRIVER20

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2012
nuggetshooter323 said:
You can't go wrong with that price. When you get a chance get the small shooter coil.

Has anyone here found any gold nuggets? I am interesting on making an adventure to search for gold and would like to purchase a machine that could help me find gold and silver. Any advices?

JRIVER20

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2012
I don't like this video at all. I am sorry it is to be very unclear. I am very confuse about the sounds. If some of the sound we should not care for why talk about the entire video rather than showing the right sound. Also I couldn't see the settings at all while the narrator machine handler was doing so lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread