what is the best fischer gold bug machine?

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
For a person in your situation (already have an e-trac and prizm, but new to gold prospecting) the best Fisher machine for you would probably be the GB Pro. And, I highly recommend to read my book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector", on the Fisher website.

--Dave J.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good old GB2 will always be a part of my stable but the new GB Pro model only is really shining up here in the Golden Crescent in HIGHLY mineralized soil. It has reopened beat to death patches for at least a half a dozen folks I know-John

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold Bug Pro has the dual processors which gives it a great advantage... I have a special going on for all TreasureNet Members, feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Ed

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good old GB2 will always be a part of my stable but the new GB Pro model only is really shining up here in the Golden Crescent in HIGHLY mineralized soil. It has reopened beat to death patches for at least a half a dozen folks I know-John

x2!I do have to say though a good friend of mine was just run through the ringer with Fisher on poor customer service(TERRIBLE)with a Gold Bug Pro....I have used Fisher's for years,but will probably shy away after this

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would prefer the GB2, but if Woof says the Pro, he is your best source for Fisher products. Heed his recommendation! TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woof....Fisher better shape up on the customer service real quick or the future of there business is short term

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
GB2 probably best choice for someone who's experienced in gold prospecting, understands manual ground balancing, and doesn't have any particular use for a multipurpose detector. However that's not Pistol's situation.

--Dave J.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Woof....Fisher better shape up on the customer service real quick or the future of there business is short term

Our customer service dept. has a pretty good reputation these days, but the nature of customer service is that it doesn't always come out the way the customer wants, most often due to a misunderstanding on someone's part, and not infrequently because the customer's expectations were unreasonable.

Regarding the specific incident to which you refer, with no facts being offered there's nothing I can pass on to customer service dept.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
pistol perfect

pistol perfect

Feb 7, 2008
southern california
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug pro
I am looking for gold and only gold! I am no longer coin hunting or relic hunting! gold only! (In the deserts and mountains)so I guess its a gold bug 2 or the pro?

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I am looking for gold and only gold! I am no longer coin hunting or relic hunting! gold only! (In the deserts and mountains)so I guess its a gold bug 2 or the pro?

There's also the Tek T2's, very popular in Africa for gold prospecting but never really caught on in the USA for gold prospecting (everyone thinks of them as a relic hunting machine). Between the GB2 and the GB Pro, I still think the Pro would be the better choice for you, because it's easier to learn and to use.

--Dave J.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks dave! but does the gold bug pro rank up there with the gold bug 2. can the pro find small gold?

I was thinking earlier, what everyone wants to know before they buy, is "will this detector find me more gold (or coins or whatever) than this other detector". Problem is, that there is no straight answer to that question.

Under most conditions, the GB2 will find the smallest stuff, its capability at that is legendary. Sub-grain, stuff so small you almost can't see it. In some conditions the GB Pro might find a smaller particular piece than the GB2 depending on soil moisture, iron mineralization, etc. In low desert soil after a rain the GB Pro might consistently outshoot the GB2. That's all assuming that the user has equal skill in both machines.

Manual ground balancing is a difficult skill for many people to learn, and manual balancing is what the GB2's got. The GB Pro has computer assisted ground balancing that will get you up and running and concentrating on sounds and recovery technique while you're learning manual balancing at your leisure (if at all).

The GB2 is a great machine for diehard gold prospectors, many of whom also have other more expensive machines from which they pick and choose depending on the nature of the site. For someone new to gold prospecting but who has some previous familiarity with metal detectors that don't involve manual ground balancing, the GB Pro is a better bet. And, a bet is all it is since nobody knows for sure what's going to happen when you get out there with the thing doing actual gold prospecting. Nobody can say for sure what machine is best for you because nobody knows. All we can do is to say what machines look like the most promising choices for a person in your situation.

--Dave J.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woof/Dave J.,
Thank you as that is the Best description I've ever read about metal detectors in general and how they relate to any user under all conditions!

Question, how would you compare, not rate, the GMT to the Gold Bug's and the Tek 2's?

Regards, ........63bkpkr

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've always told my wife that the reason why I need so many metal detectors is that their like golf clubs. You need to be an all-terrain gold prospector, be able to find gold where ever it lays.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our customer service dept. has a pretty good reputation these days, but the nature of customer service is that it doesn't always come out the way the customer wants, most often due to a misunderstanding on someone's part, and not infrequently because the customer's expectations were unreasonable.

Regarding the specific incident to which you refer, with no facts being offered there's nothing I can pass on to customer service dept.

--Dave J.

Dave,I assure you,"expectations",were none other than the truth,a little help,and stand behind the product....I dont think that is too much to ask,and when that is an issue,something is wrong.A brand new detector that didnt work was sent back twice and returned bad both times to be told it was a bad coil.....it wasnt,but if it was,it was the stock coil and should have been fixed?The customer service rep was extremely rude as well.Fortunatly I was not the customer,but was trying to help out a friend that I had recommended buying the detector.Trust me when I tell you,you lost that customer,and every body he will ever talk to.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave. I finished the book (pdf file). Very nice. Clean, clear, and to the point. I printed it out and cut it down to book form. Do I owe Fisher anything for doing so? Will GLADLY pay the price for the sage advice. Tnx. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,I assure you,"expectations",were none other than the truth,a little help,and stand behind the product....I dont think that is too much to ask,and when that is an issue,something is wrong.A brand new detector that didnt work was sent back twice and returned bad both times to be told it was a bad coil.....it wasnt,but if it was,it was the stock coil and should have been fixed?The customer service rep was extremely rude as well.Fortunatly I was not the customer,but was trying to help out a friend that I had recommended buying the detector.Trust me when I tell you,you lost that customer,and every body he will ever talk to.

Crickets......................................Dave?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread