Help with HOT rock identification

weaselguys

Aug 27, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need help from any geologist types that now what the are looking at with ID of 4 rocks I hauled to my home .We were doing detecting in our yard with our Tesoro Lobo Super Traq on DESC ,sens 5 ,desc 7 and these 4 rocks set it to screaming we set the sens to 0 ,desc to max and the still set it off .I know with some of them what I think I'm looking at but it has been so long since I did this type of stuff I'm no longer sure. Now for the pics.

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 466
  • 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 417
  • 2b.JPG
    2b.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 933
  • 3a.JPG
    3a.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 864
  • 3b.JPG
    3b.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 3c.JPG
    3c.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 286
  • 4a.JPG
    4a.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 316
  • 4b.JPG
    4b.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 4c.JPG
    4c.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 277
  • 4d.JPG
    4d.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last rock looks exactly like some rocks I have pulled from Lytle Creek, CA with my detector. Big chunks of magnatite. Does it smell like sulfur? If so this comes from hot springs in which the rocks came from. I read it on the internet :) .

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

weaselguys

Aug 27, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I broke open the small rock and found this, some of the silvery particles are magnetic and some are not.

Attachments

• DSCF2851.JPG
    DSCF2851.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,558
OP
OP
W

weaselguys

Aug 27, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MrLee they don't smell like sulpher

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From your pictures, your rocks are igneous--heat formed, and they've allowed mineral crystals to form, so they were forced up in hot solution at some point and were intruded into the host rock. These are the same types of conditions that allow gold to rise and cool. However, many other metals also are forced up in solution, including pyrites, lead, iron, etc.

Your most recent photo where the break has exposed the inside of the rock looks a lot like pyrite, and if there's magnetic particles accompanying it, most likely it's iron ore in the form of magnetite. If there's lead running with it, that would set off the detector with the discrimination set higher. Taken in all, there might just be too much metal in your samples to not have the detector sound off on it, even using the discrimination circuit, especially if there's lead with your sample. Lead of course will sound off when you are using the discriminator. Some of the worst hot rocks are the ones with lead in them. However, not being able to know exactly what's in your sample makes this all rather perfunctory. If you really want to know for sure, you'll have to pay for an assay, or you may be able to find a college or university that will tell you what you've got if you're lucky.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions