Arizona....only a couple of days

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
Going to be flying down to Vegas from Ontario Canada between xmas and New Years. I want to take a day or two and drive to Arizona and try a little nugget detecting. I have been detecting for over 30 years so have a pretty good idea on what to do, just don't know where to go. Because of limited time, looking for some ideas within a 4 or 5 hour drive of Vegas. Thinking of someplace near the Quartsite area. I will have a rental vehicle so don't really want to drive down any washes or too far into the desert. If anyone has a claim that they wouldn't mind a northern canuk wandering on it, please let me know. If I get lucky enough to find a nugget, you can have it. Just want to say that I found one and take it off my bucket list.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, Quartzite is 6-hours from Vegas, and unless you actually know the area you'll end up on somebody's claim as the area is virtually claimed up. You are closer to Gold Basin, a fossil meteorite strewnfield and gold nugget area, one hour north of Kingman, AZ, and about 2.5-hours from Vegas. Again, virtually all claimed up. Congress and Rich Hill, is about 4.75-hours from Vegas. Call and join one of these clubs, and meet up with a member when you go out. Good Luck! Check out more Arizona clubs here: Gold Prospecting Clubs, Books, Equipment

Welcome to our site
P.O. BOX 6446
Kingman AZ. 86402 USA
E-Mail:
[email protected]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[h=6][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.WeaverMining.com[/FONT][/h][h=6][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]22595 Hwy 71 [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Congress, Arizona 85332[/FONT][/h][h=6][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]928-427-6344.[/FONT][/h]
Y NOT Prospectors Club
PO Box 366
Congress, AZ 85332
Tom & Maggie
928-427-9605

OP
OP
trainermick

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
Thanks Terry. I have read a lot about the Gold Basin area. Also checked out your site at Arizona gold adventures. Wish I had more time so I could do a one day package with you. I will email Fritz

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been in the Congress/Rich Hill area detecting a couple of times. My buddy found some incredible specimen gold, and another friend of mine got some very nice nuggets. We detected along the tops of hills that ran down into big washes. We joined some clubs and had lots of ground to detect on. Terry has given you some solid advice about the best way to go about it. So, buy some memberships and then you don't have to worry about getting chased off someone else's claim or worse. You'll be able to relax and enjoy yourself. If you can hook up with a local that belongs to one of the clubs that can go with you for a day or two--that's even better.

The gold can be just about anywhere out there, and there's a huge wide-open country all around you. Don't be afraid to try places that seem to obvious--a couple of my buddies there detected the actual track of a trail and hit a huge find of specimen gold and nuggets--it was incredible. I have the pictures to prove it, and I saw it. As well, they detected, while I was there detecting with them, the margins of the trail out into the desert proper and found big chunks of specimen (gold and quartz). All of this while I was down in washes hammering along where the water had run--they got the gold.

I've also detected in the Gold Basin area with a good friend of mine that had permission to hunt some claims there. He put me in a spot filled with old dry-wash piles and told me he'd always intended to get around to detecting it. So, I tried it for a while--got lots of trash, so I headed off to detect some washes across the main big wash. A while later he yelled and called me back. He had a gorgeous nugget he'd dug from one of the very dry-wash piles he'd been trying to get me to focus on. So, I learned my lesson the hard way--if you're lucky enough to get a local to take you, spend some very, very serious time hammering any area they say is special or that they've always wanted to hunt.

All the best--the desert has its own unique, haunting beauty--nothing like Canada at all--everything has spines, pokes you, or bites, so be very careful as well,

Lanny

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB said:
Been in the Congress/Rich Hill area detecting a couple of times. My buddy found some incredible specimen gold, and another friend of mine got some very nice nuggets. We detected along the tops of hills that ran down into big washes. We joined some clubs and had lots of ground to detect on. Terry has given you some solid advice about the best way to go about it. So, buy some memberships and then you don't have to worry about getting chased off someone else's claim or worse. You'll be able to relax and enjoy yourself. If you can hook up with a local that belongs to one of the clubs that can go with you for a day or two--that's even better.

The gold can be just about anywhere out there, and there's a huge wide-open country all around you. Don't be afraid to try places that seem to obvious--a couple of my buddies there detected the actual track of a trail and hit a huge find of specimen gold and nuggets--it was incredible. I have the pictures to prove it, and I saw it. As well, they detected, while I was there detecting with them, the margins of the trail out into the desert proper and found big chunks of specimen (gold and quartz). All of this while I was down in washes hammering along where the water had run--they got the gold.

I've also detected in the Gold Basin area with a good friend of mine that had permission to hunt some claims there. He put me in a spot filled with old dry-wash piles and told me he'd always intended to get around to detecting it. So, I tried it for a while--got lots of trash, so I headed off to detect some washes across the main big wash. A while later he yelled and called me back. He had a gorgeous nugget he'd dug from one of the very dry-wash piles he'd been trying to get me to focus on. So, I learned my lesson the hard way--if you're lucky enough to get a local to take you, spend some very, very serious time hammering any area they say is special or that they've always wanted to hunt.

All the best--the desert has its own unique, haunting beauty--nothing like Canada at all--everything has spines, pokes you, or bites, so be very careful as well,

Lanny

Would love to see the pics! :)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some photos of the Rich Hill area - Enjoy!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trainermick,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here to post some pictures from one of my trips to the Stanton area. My prospecting buddy of many years gave me the LDMA hat.

IMG_3888_zps5ad72534.jpg

That's Rich Hill I'm pointing to.
IMG_3884_zps9b5a4c07.jpg

Here's some old mine dumps you might get to see.
IMG_3881_zpse881dd99.jpg

Watch out for things that poke and bite.

IMG_3891_zps2f4dd2fd.jpg

Lots of old mines around.
IMG_3878_zps0795b54d.jpg

This is what my buddies were finding.
IMG_3877_zpse5339183.jpg

That's some seriously sassy desert gold my friends found with their detectors!! Most of the pieces are very good size--they fit across the palm of your hand. So, by comparison, gauge the size of the solid gold accordingly--very chunky too.
IMG_3889_zps21a6a455.jpg

Hope this helps hold you until you get there.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great shots, Great gold Lanny!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Terry--I know you've seen a fair share of gold on your many adventures. So, your compliments mean a lot to me. I had to take pictures of my pictures so that I could digitize them (don't know where the discs are), and that's why it took me a while to find them.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really hope you enjoy your time there, and you'll maximize your fun if you go with the attitude that you'll enjoy the surroundings (the old mines, the historical buildings, the desert flora and fauna), see some great sights (beautiful, arid mountains), meet some wonderful people, and maybe find some gold. The reason I say maybe is because there's so many people seriously hammering the area now.

Not to say that there's not still gold to be found--there is, but it's much more difficult to drop in for a few days and find some gold for a time-limited visitor than it is for friends like mine that spend the entire winter there (year after year) getting to know the various areas intimately. Because, they work very hard for the gold they get.

Furthermore, they spend a lot of time very carefully checking out areas and following up on tips and historical references. Moreover they put many, many miles on their quads, and numerous hours hiking while checking out leads all over the area--that's how they come up with the gold.

So, if you go with the attitude that it will be a wonderful experience, whether you find any gold or not--you'll be happy and satisfied. If you happen to get your coil over some gold while you're there--you'll be way over the legal limit for fun, and it will only multiply your overall happiness.

Take lots of pictures--meet as many wonderful people as you can--join some local clubs--live the desert dream. It's well worth it, regardless of your final outcome, and it's way warmer than Canada in the winter--that's an additional bonus.

All the best,

Lanny

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is still big gold at Rich Hill. An 8-oz specimen was found there this spring by a friend of mine. It is the one sitting on top of the big orange flashlight..

Attachments

• richhill 044.jpg
    richhill 044.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 155
  • AZgoldrog.jpg
    AZgoldrog.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Congress09 363.jpg
    Congress09 363.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 147
  • AU1gold.jpg
    AU1gold.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 174

Bunk

Nov 28, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
ML 4000-ML X70
Terrry S, Nice pics!

Trainermick, Send me a PM and I will get you directions for my claim at Gold Basin, you would be welcome to detect as long as you like...
Bunk

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There you go Trainermick--you've got a great invitation to head out to Gold Basin--gold AND meteorites! What a generous offer from Bunk. It's a fascinating place to detect as well. Lots of old mines all over the area--lots, and lots of old dry-washer piles too (you may want to read up/watch video on how to detect those).

I think you'll find that as you get more into the gold detecting end of things in America, you'll discover what great people there are involved in chasing the gold, and the common bond you'll share.

Terry is right on that there's still gorgeous gold being found, and if you're lucky enough to get a local to go with you while you're there, you'll up your chances immensely to shoot some nuggets.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow Terry--those are the pictures that get the blood pumpin'!! Nice photos, and cool shot of the petroglyph--that's a great find. From the desert varnish on that rock you can sure tell how old that design is.

All the best,

Lanny

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terrry S, Nice pics!

Trainermick, Send me a PM and I will get you directions for my claim at Gold Basin, you would be welcome to detect as long as you like...
Bunk

LOL! Thank's Bunk! Trainermick, You may not realize it, but Bunk is one of the most successful gold and meteorite hunters in Arizona, and was personally responsible for guiding my buddy onto that 8-oz specimen!!! People pay BIG money to be taught by him. Take him up on his generous offer!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL! Thank's Bunk! Trainermick, You may not realize it, but Bunk is one of the most successful gold and meteorite hunters in Arizona, and was personally responsible for guiding my buddy onto that 8-oz specimen!!! People pay BIG money to be taught by him. Take him up on his generous offer!

Terrry S, Nice pics!

Bunk

Wow Trainermick--THE Bunk! Take him up on his offer for sure.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions