Minelab Eureka Gold - Questions, should I buy it?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya everyone;

A local guy with the Shasta Miners Club is selling his Minelab Eureka Gold, it comes with a couple extra's like a set of black widow headphones, the bag and a Coiltek All Terrain Coil.
We settled on about 15 grams of gold and a small specimen for it, spot is about $852 today and the specimen could fetch anywhere from $75-200 depending on the buyer.

Of course I only have time and fuel into that figure, but is that a decent price for a 2 year old detector that has hardly been used? It was purchased locally and the warranty transfers over.
He was asking $1000 for everything.

Also, I do know about Kellyco and their $1050 sale price and it comes with a butt load more items with it, should I cash in, buy from Kellyco and get it new and all the new items?
Minelab Eureka Gold Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

I was originally strongly considering the Garrett AT Gold because it is waterproof and I wanted to underwater snipe nuggets and paystreaks with it.
I researched the AT Gold more and people seem to say that it just isnt that strong of a detector and that it misses a lot.

I also want to go out MD'ing with TrinityAu some time when I get some more free time.

If I cash in, is the Minelab EG the best gold detector out there for around its price range?
From what I have read it seems like it is pretty much between it and the GBII, but I dont want to deal with Fishers customer service issues so the GBII is not on my list.

As far as being waterproof, the Minelab is not.
What are the best gold coils out there that are waterproof? Most of my searching is in less than 3' of water.
Is there any way to easily waterproof the entire unit?

Thanks everyone, your advice and experience will help me make my next move.

-Eric-

Upvote 0
B

Brookie

I had a GMZ and AT Gold, I barely tried them and sold them for a fair price to me. I came across a Eureka Gold for 450 and that's what I have. I have only used it once, but at least even the air test is slightly further away from the first 2 detectors. I plan on also getting a GB2 when I can actually get a good deal. Do you recommend waiting for one with the smaller coil or if there are any advantages to the bigger coil please describe them, Thanks.

PS: Do you use the gold bug newer digital one or the old gold bug from before the gold bug 2? Also does your friend have the bigger size coil of the 2 available for the Gold Bug 2?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brookie, I have an original GoldBug and I wouldnt trade up to a gold bug II for the world. I consistantly find gold that my partner missis with his GB II. In fact I can hit something he misses and we can go over it again with his GBII and still not get tone. Just my two thoughts.

A while back in this post You mentioned getting a viper and someone warned you off them as being chinese junk. Be your own judge on that one I purchased one last year. My first time out with it was at a floating boat dock on the Snake river. I found a nice neat little pile of late 50s and early 60s silver dollars. 27 of them to be exact and they were about 6" deep in sand and 4 ft under water. I have found gold nuggets in the 1/8" size underwater in the creeks of Idaho aqnd never have had a problem with mine.

IGS

B

Brookie

Thanks, maybe I will consider, I kind of want to own two detectors so I can maybe bring a friend, a gold bug would probably also be a pretty cheap price. I already own three sluice of the EZ sluices but my leg kinda hurts Hiking/digging that's what made me get into detectors. What do you think a reasonable estimate is on the deepest nugget you have found, and maybe what the size also to get a better idea? Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread