What is the recommended Frequencies for gold hunting, high low in the middle?

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The majority of gold machines are at around 14Khz and up, the higher the freq the smaller the gold. I think 8Khz is the range for deep iron, for relic hunting, and 10-12ish I believe is the silver range.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
16kHz-18kHz (Tesoro Lobo Super Traq / Whites GMT) are optimal for gold nuggetshooting. The original Fisher Goldbug II, operates at about 78kHz and is one of the best - go figure.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whits gmt is in the 50khz range

OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of good talk about the Gold Bug 2 and with high frequency it does seem that the higher the better.

So with that said does anyone have any thoughts or input on something like the Gemini 3 by Fisher. I mean for 2 people to able to walk 10-15 feet apart using this machine would certainly cover some crazy area out in the middle of a desert. Says it Operating Frequency is 82 kHz which is just a few points above the GB2...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stay with either a Lobo Super Traq, GMT, or Goldbug. There are very few machines that will actually find small gold nuggets at depth. Good Luck!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In days of old it used to matter but now microprocessors do the work and frequencie preferences are a thing of the past. I have used my GB,GB2 and TLSuper Traq for years and both ends no difference. I have used the Fisher Gemini in a few instances and walking apart kills sensitivity quite a bit. Much prefer on the pole. The Whites Treasure Master,dual antena, used to have a void detection mode also and as deep as the Gemini series-no disc on either and Me /Larry dug over 12' in the Pattons grounds in the desert for a old spoked wheel,last time I used one also hahaha- John

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think a 2 box machine would pick up on the smallest pieces, but if your after a vein of gold, then that might be a good way to go. IMO

The Falcon MD20 runs 300khz, and gets gold almost smaller than the eye can see. But only has a depth of up to maybe an inch. (Makes a great pinpointer, but expensive!)

I like my Dues. I can change frequencies from 4-8-12-18khz at the push of a button. Plus I have shift, if someone is hunting close to me, I can go up a few 10/ths khz and they can go down, so not to interfer.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all a trade off....... higher freq = smaller gold at less depth. Lower freq = larger gold at greater depth. That's why I like the Whites GMT at 48kHz it's a great compromise. Besides who wants to spend their time digging fly speck sized gold. (no offense to the GB2 and other high freq detectors)

GG~

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish the the iron analyzer on the GMT had a "boot tack" elimination setting, I'm sure tired of digging those things:BangHead:.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• Spam1b.jpg
    Spam1b.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 360
Last edited by a moderator:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nuggetshooter323,
Another item the GMT could use would be a setting that accurately indicated "your target is lead" whenever the coil was swept over a fishing weight, lead bullet, wheel weight or any other such object made from the non-noble metal Pb. But then 'that' amount of exercise would be lost to us. Oh well, give a little take a little.........63bkpkr

And in response to Ashman - I own/use and appreciate my GMT as it is the first Prospecting machine that I can accurately use to detect gold! I've used the machine to detect the raw ground where the coil could easily be swung and where I needed to dig first I've used the detector to check the dug material before expending any more energy on that material, that is if the detector did not go zip zip when waved over the pile of dug sample then I put no further work into that pile. Also, I've used the GMT to detect bare 'bedrock' per Lanny's thread in Metal Detecting for Gold and found that even though it looks like solid bedrock it Aint! Underneath say 6" to 8" of bedrock lay particles of gold. I know of one spot where I can wave all day long and continue to find gold under bedrock, not large pieces but gold just the same. Of course it is one long hike in and that keeps me away from it as I now have an 8 to 5 job and can no longer devote two weeks at a time to "play" in those lovely California river canyons. "So many Canyons, so little time"!

Good Luck with your choice.............63bkpkr

(pictures below have been used several times on this site and soon I will be booed if I do not find some fresh gold to take pictures of)

185_8517.JPG found from detecting piles of dug raw sample

found from detecting "solid bedrock", note various pieces of lead removed from the river area

coins are for size comparison, half dollar above dime here 191_9174.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions