who uses the g2 or gold bug pro to detect gold with?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check my posts on Arizona Gold Prospectors Forum, you may have to become a member. My posts are all under TRINITYAU. You will find much more info about detecting with PI's and VLF's at this site also. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just picked up a GB Pro last Friday, I went up to an area that I had been underwater sniping and hit the exposed bedrock and a little in the creek.
I found a lot of "trash" items plus an old axe head but no gold.

The exposed bedrock has been pretty heavily worked over all ready but I figured I would give it a try. :)

In the creek I found several iron objects, detected them just fine.

If its hitting that stuff it will for sure hit gold when it finds it. :)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just picked up a GB Pro last Friday, I went up to an area that I had been underwater sniping and hit the exposed bedrock and a little in the creek.
I found a lot of "trash" items plus an old axe head but no gold.

The exposed bedrock has been pretty heavily worked over all ready but I figured I would give it a try. :)

In the creek I found several iron objects, detected them just fine.

If its hitting that stuff it will for sure hit gold when it finds it. :)

The most important thing while nugget shooting is to be sure your detector is properly ground balanced the entire time. Lots of times you'll find trash, but not be ground balanced properly, so you'll miss the tiny whispers of faint gold targets. They get lost in the background clutter if the machine is not finely balanced--I guess that's what ground grab on the Pro is for?

All the best as you keep trying out that new detector,

Lanny

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about being in all metal mode with gain 100% up and having the low tone set to 30+?
Does that work just as well as the other mode?

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, not for gold and not in our area. I generally run a smooth threshold at about 11. In our area you will hear the tiniest at the greatest depth at about 11. Here are some from today. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Attachments

• 11312 a.jpg
    11312 a.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 11312 x.jpg
    11312 x.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 11312.jpg
    11312.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 11312z.jpg
    11312z.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 11312d.jpg
    11312d.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 210

boulder dash

Aug 28, 2006
Gold bug 2 fan here. I have had mine a few years. I think it is the best detector out there. I have found quite a few patches with it. I call it the skunk buster. It is not uncommon to find 20+ gold a day. Seems I have found several thousand in just a few short years. I have owned 3 gpx minelabs and I alway seem to go back to the bug. The secret is to learn your machine.

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you turn the GB Pro on you are turning the knob on the Left, the gain, the power, all the same. There are no numbers. Turn the gain knob till you hit the 11 o clock position. Now go to the knob on the Right , the discrimination, the all metal mode, threshold, all the same. Turn the right hand knob to the right until you are comfortable with what you are hearing. You have to have to hear some threshold so that signals will break it. Push the ground grab button down while pumping the GB Pro coil up and down close to the ground and you will see the numbers on the screen line up pretty close to the numbers in the bottom right side of the screen, when this happens you are ground balanced. At this time if your threshold is warbling, not steady or eratic then turn the gain a tiny bit towards the 10 o clock position or until it is nice and steady. Depending on the ground you are working you may be able to go higher on the gain and some ground will force you to go lower on the gain. As you are detecting you are hearing the threshold and if there is a difference in the sounds and it is not staying where you set it at then you need to rebalance with the ground grab button again.

While you are detecting swing the coil as close to the ground as possible and go at a speed which will enable the threshold to maintain. There is no set speed to swing the detector at, just so you maintain a steady threshold. If you swing to fast in a particular area and the threshold is breaking up then you will miss subtle signals. As you learn your detector you will find little tricks you can use that will make things easier. I would not use the discrimination mode for normal gold detecting. The GB Pro will pick up the same tiny pieces that the GBII will but not in discrimination mode. If you are detecting in a high trash area and you have gold that is bigger than a gram then you can detect in the discrimination mode and it will work for you.

You guys still using the GBII, it is a great detector, I have literally found pounds of gold with my three over the years. It was hard for me to change from the GBII to the GB Pro. In my opinion the GB Pro just does so much more when you learn how to use it. It goes far deeper on big and little. It works in soils that the GBII had to fight. It stays balanced better. It is waterproof. It has a far easier learning curve for beginners. The GB Pro is far cheaper, less batteries, longer battery life and the discrimination on anything over half a gram is fantastic. For those not wanting people to know their business it breaks down into a pack better. As stated above I know the GB Pro will find the same tiny sub-grainers as the GBII can, only difference is it does it with more ease as far as I am concerned. These are all my opinions, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

pistol perfect

Feb 7, 2008
southern california
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug pro
Thanks! This is good information!
When you turn the GB Pro on you are turning the knob on the Left, the gain, the power, all the same. There are no numbers. Turn the gain knob till you hit the 11 o clock position. Now go to the knob on the Right , the discrimination, the all metal mode, threshold, all the same. Turn the right hand knob to the right until you are comfortable with what you are hearing. You have to have to hear some threshold so that signals will break it. Push the ground grab button down while pumping the GB Pro coil up and down close to the ground and you will see the numbers on the screen line up pretty close to the numbers in the bottom right side of the screen, when this happens you are ground balanced. At this time if your threshold is warbling, not steady or eratic then turn the gain a tiny bit towards the 10 o clock position or until it is nice and steady. Depending on the ground you are working you may be able to go higher on the gain and some ground will force you to go lower on the gain. As you are detecting you are hearing the threshold and if there is a difference in the sounds and it is not staying where you set it at then you need to rebalance with the ground grab button again.

While you are detecting swing the coil as close to the ground as possible and go at a speed which will enable the threshold to maintain. There is no set speed to swing the detector at, just so you maintain a steady threshold. If you swing to fast in a particular area and the threshold is breaking up then you will miss subtle signals. As you learn your detector you will find little tricks you can use that will make things easier. I would not use the discrimination mode for normal gold detecting. The GB Pro will pick up the same tiny pieces that the GBII will but not in discrimination mode. If you are detecting in a high trash area and you have gold that is bigger than a gram then you can detect in the discrimination mode and it will work for you.

You guys still using the GBII, it is a great detector, I have literally found pounds of gold with my three over the years. It was hard for me to change from the GBII to the GB Pro. In my opinion the GB Pro just does so much more when you learn how to use it. It goes far deeper on big and little. It works in soils that the GBII had to fight. It stays balanced better. It is waterproof. It has a far easier learning curve for beginners. The GB Pro is far cheaper, less batteries, longer battery life and the discrimination on anything over half a gram is fantastic. For those not wanting people to know their business it breaks down into a pack better. As stated above I know the GB Pro will find the same tiny sub-grainers as the GBII can, only difference is it does it with more ease as far as I am concerned. These are all my opinions, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Ray, I will set it there tomorrow when I get out. :)

I did that exactly today at a playground and I was finding tiny tiny pin sized nail tips all the way down to about 8" on my deepest target.
We also found 17 cents. :) lol

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

.....>> how does it vary with the whites GMT ? PLEASE

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Million or so have bought the original Gold Bug---then the Gold Bug 2-and now the Gold Bug Pro over the past 20+ years or so. All folks run them differently COMPLETELY as some folks run hunt--and trophy hunt. Some folks run'm low and slow and get it ALL. Some half way in between as one mans pleasure is yet anothers folly. When you can wear out a new coil cover in less than a year as H you can rest assured you are gettn' it all and then folks behind ya do quit laughing as they can't say WOW look at what ya missed hahahaha- who wins the race--the snail or the hare----John

BugHunter

Nov 7, 2012
So Cal, E of LA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many thanks to Ray/trinityau - I have probably learned something about how to use my Gold Bug Pro. These two babies are really small: 0.12 and 0.16 g, taken from 1 - 1.5 inch depth. These are my first!
the tiny two.jpg

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A big congratulations to you!!

All the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H-2 Charlie - somehow I think they had not learned the machines and did not find gold or not enough of it to make them rich so they quit. Just a guess though. I myself would not get rid of my GMT as it has been a true friend to me as I've learned at least a little bit of how it works.

I'm embarrassed to show these pictures again but as I've not been out enough lately I do not have new gold to show. The small pile on the half dollar was a combo find with the GMT/Panning/Sluicing while the tiny pieces on the dime were all GMT finds of gold in bedrock. The GMT finds it, just learn the machine............63bkpkr

combo 185_8517.JPG

bedrock 191_9174.JPG

Last edited:

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nice finds and good info on here ill be getting a gold bug pro pretty soon:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions