Whos swinging the bigh Whites goldmax coil regularly?

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Im wondering some of your experiences with depth on smaller nuggets?
Ive swung the 5x10, next im going to go trough my area as much as possible with the small shooter which is a piece of cake other than coverage area. Then i want to try to go through with the goldmax but its hard on my back.
I have degenerative disc disease and 4-5 hours with stock coil is normally all i can take period, but i do also have a gm3 in the closet that i can try and hip or chest mount the controls somehow.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi robbor,
It is possible that I've replied to you on this or a similar subject before, it was more than 24 hours ago so I do not remember.

I have the Sierra Gold Max coil and if your back does not like you swinging the stock coil then it will hate you if you try the SGM. The SGM is well Big and unless you have flat country, no boulders, then do not bother with it. Do you use a back brace, home depot type, when you are out detecting? This coud help. Whites did offer a hip mount kit for the XLT and it fits the GMT shafts, I own it, so not having to wave the control box and the coil would help but it will be awkward. Then there is Doc's "Swingy Thingy" and it could help some but it will load the shoulder/waist a bit more. Again, a back brace might help.....63bkpkr
197_9727.JPG

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Hi robbor,
It is possible that I've replied to you on this or a similar subject before, it was more than 24 hours ago so I do not remember.

I have the Sierra Gold Max coil and if your back does not like you swinging the stock coil then it will hate you if you try the SGM. The SGM is well Big and unless you have flat country, no boulders, then do not bother with it. Do you use a back brace, home depot type, when you are out detecting? This coud help. Whites did offer a hip mount kit for the XLT and it fits the GMT shafts, I own it, so not having to wave the control box and the coil would help but it will be awkward. Then there is Doc's "Swingy Thingy" and it could help some but it will load the shoulder/waist a bit more. Again, a back brace might help.....63bkpkr
View attachment 698156

You may have, i posted over on the whites forum also i think.I have not used a back brace for detecting but i was thinking about it and docs swingy thingy. My back problem is in the middle of my back and i have a rigid brace. I was going to look for some bungy and try it attached to my pack. Yes the SGM is a heavy sucker. I have only swung it a few times for like 30 min. I need to get some stronger anti inflammatory meds and i have been out recently. I have a GM3 that i can hip or chest mount but i prefer using my GM4b as i think ground balancing is faster and easier with the buttons but getting almost 2# off your arm with the SGM is much more pleasant. Have you had much luck with your SGM going over spots you have alread scanned with your stock coil? I just ordered a stock DD coil to try on my detectors as the 2 stock coils i have are both concentric. And im starting to use headphones.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will enjoy the DD coil, it is the only type available for the GMT so of course its the only type I use. I've not much time with mine as where I was supposed to use it turned out to be a giant boulder field. I've not found anything with it for the short time I've used it but that is not really a test. In other words, I really do not have any experience with it. LIkely you will enjoy the headphones as long as your ears do not drown in sweat....63bkpkr

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can build your own "swingy thingy" very easily, especially if you already have some form of a back brace. Personally, I used a simple strap around my neck and then used some marine type bungy cord often called shock cord.

I found the size of the cord makes a difference. Unfortunately, the same size from different vendors are not the same. I use a 1/4" size that is strong and tough that works best. If the cord is too large, it restricts your movement and too small doesn't do enough to suspend the coil. I found Ebay to be the best source for me, but any marine shock cord vendor should be able to provide what works best.

I personally use a plastic D ring held on my lower rod by double sided Velcro and attach the cord to the D ring. Another D ring is connected to the strap around my neck. I have plastic hook type connectors that fit on the cord but they are not needed. Simply tying the cord works but is a pain to adjust. I also use bungy clamps often call shoe lace stopper that clamp down on the bungy cord thus allowing for an easy length adjustment.

Reg

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Herb

I don't recognize the small Whites shooter coil in your picture. Have you used it much???? I am guessing size wise it must be very sensitive for small pieces. And if you don't mind a general idea on cost.... Thanks in advance......

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
shooter DD

Herb

I don't recognize the small Whites shooter coil in your picture. Have you used it much???? I am guessing size wise it must be very sensitive for small pieces. And if you don't mind a general idea on cost.... Thanks in advance......

Its the small 4x6 shooter DD they came out with about the same time as the gmt. 149 or if you know whites 49, lol.

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
I have not used mine much but have found a few coins and small silver jewelry with it, i just moved to gold country. Everyone i talked to prefers the lil shooter.
Testing White's Nugget "Shooter" Coil
also cougarjim has some vids on youtube also

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hay Robber,. I have a goldmax coil ,. but only have swug it over a few Ol' patches, look'n for that last "deep[er]" one . No luck yet ,.but just a matter of time. Had it out about 2 weeks ago , over apx. 2000 sqft where I've taken about a dozen bits from a gram too a grain , and should have gold down to 6-8 in ,.no targets a just a few hot rocks ,. easy swing'n , all good .
On my way back to camp ,I walked though by buddys little patch , still gett'n a few targets there , .dug a #8 shot at 1- 1.5 in ,.good signal,
easy pinpointed ,
Like to get one of the 4x6 shooters ,..start stick'n it where the sun doen't shine, ..if ya know what I mean ..

Blindpig

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Oakview2,

Yes, I do use the little shooter coil a lot. I do a lot of river canyon and mountain prospecting so I'm almost always in boulders or rock piles making it difficult to swing anything else. That coil will detect small through large pieces of gold under 6" and more of solid rock.

As has been indicated the price ranges between full retail of $149.95 to a special pricing of $49.95 if one is using a gift certificate. The attached photo show's the smaller size pieces that can be detected with the smallest GMT coil. Many of these pieces were found under solid rock. The ultra fine gold was in the dirt that I brushed into my pan from under the rock that covered my gold. Have you had your GMT very long? Have you found gold with it?

I see Prather abuts the Sierra National Forest like you could be a half hour from the mountains. That could be FUN!.....63bkpkr

Attachments

• 191_9174.JPG
    191_9174.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not used mine much but have found a few coins and small silver jewelry with it, i just moved to gold country. Everyone i talked to prefers the lil shooter.
Testing White's Nugget "Shooter" Coil
also cougarjim has some vids on youtube also

Thanks for the link to the review.... Great field assesments of the coil. Sounds like a great coil for working tailings

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread