rocks that sound off?

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Ok guys ive found a few lil rocks that sound off while detecting(not screamers), they dont have any external visible gold in them. They are right around or smaller than 1" in areas ive found some gold and they seem like a red quartz. I dont want to crush them if i dont have to. Any good ways you guys know of to confirm gold?
If i can confirm gold id like to try and dissolve the rock.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually just iron or a half dozens other materials that are conductive be it ferrous or non ferrous. Get a magnet and test as that proves iron as usually red or blackish. If you have a old school tr unit you can easily find out if ferrous/non ferrous by reverse discrimination as you can tune to accept or reject gold or iron. VLF also as slowly turn up disc till the specimen disappears,then simply wave a small iron object over it like a small tack--sound usually means gold. Specific gravity test of all kinds and accuracy also. After 57+ years of handling gold I can usually tell just by holding and fiddling with it a minute or so,20+ power magnifier helps also. lotza luck-John

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like hotrocks. You need something like the Falcon to verify without crushing. Although, if there is no visible gold, whats the fear of crushing and panning?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found more than one piece of quartz sounding off. Makes your heart want to jump out of your chest! So far, all have proven to have magnetite inside. Like Jason said, wouldn't hurt to pulverize it to find out. Get a jeweler's loupe. If you see bits of dark mineral in the cracks, probably magnetite. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread