Detecting in a Wilderness Area of San Bernardino mountains?

BugHunter

Nov 7, 2012
So Cal, E of LA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if it is legal to metal detect in the Bignorn Mountain Wilderness area of the San Bernardino Mountains. There should be no claims in a wilderness area but this still does not mean that prospecting is allowed. Besides, this wilderness is split among FS and BLM and each agency might have its own rules. Very confusing. Did anybody go there recently?

Upvote 0

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Plp is about the only group standing up for us.

Georgiy

Greenie
Jun 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at some of Hefty1's posts under gold prospecting, it is at the very top of page 1. Gather together copies of some actual laws and keep them with you when you are "out there". A little bit of knowledge on our part used properly when contacted by 'the authorities'(gag) will keep them off of your back............63bkpkr

Add a PLP card to it (Public Land for the People) and you are good to go. PLP has attorneys ready to fight for your right. And membership is only $40 if I remember correctly.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If agenda 21 is ever really carried out, a lot of good, decent, up standing citizens will be made into outlaws in the eyes of the government.

Don't you know that the objective is the criminalization of society by passing more laws to get more violations and convictions so they can take away the right to vote and the right to have firearms? That way they can control things for ever.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's perfectly legal to prospect in any Wilderness area. You can not use motorized equipment in Wilderness areas so leave your ATVs and gas powered metal detectors behind. :laughing7:

Congress specifically encourages prospecting in Wilderness areas. Anyone who tells you different is full of themselves.

The Antiquities Act only applies to man made artifacts that are more than 100 years old. The collecting of coins, bullets and arrowheads found on the surface is specifically allowed in the law. Mining conducted under the 1872 Mining Act is also specifically exempted from the provisions of the Antiquities Act.

Wilderness areas provide a great opportunity for the dedicated gold prospector. If you have the opportunity to detect gold bearing Wilderness go do it! You've got an Act of Congress telling you it's your right.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is great news ... anyone MD up in azusa cyn with good luck ? im pretty close by and would like to find a fellow MD who wants to hit some cyns , i will get my parking permit next yr but im jonesing to hunt up there even if i go alone .

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer I got about using a metal detector in wilderness areas is that it is considered motorized! Don't ask me how they came up with that, but that is what they told me.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
this is great news ... anyone MD up in azusa cyn with good luck ?
im pretty close by and would like to find a fellow MD who wants to hit some cyns , i will get my parking
permit next yr but im jonesing to hunt up there even if i go alone .

Wilderness Area and Parking Permit are mutually exclusive terms IMO. Permits like that are simply
another way for "The State" to legally rape your wallet and your earnings. I do realize the Gestapo
will be "checking your papers", so there's not much choice in the matter, but it sure chaps my ass
to be forced to pay in order to access a public area.

Back in the late '70's and early '80's Azusa Canyon was little more than an off-road play area,
and it was not at all uncommon for there to be a variety of salty looking characters hanging
around up there. I wouldn't hike up there detecting without packing some kind of sidearm
and a cell phone, as you never know when you'll find a nest of two-legged rattlers cooking
meth or involved in some other nefarious venture.

Have you looked up in the Lytle Creek area? I was in there in early spring of this year,
and liked how the super-wide wash had lots of detecting opportunities. Not sure how
successful you'd be, but I would feel safer much there than Azusa.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If agenda 21 is ever really carried out, a lot of good, decent, up standing citizens will be made into outlaws in the eyes of the government.
agenda21 has been and still is going strong! theyre takeing more land as we speak! it is usually under a different name (to keep the opinion high) but its a all consuming monster letting the wacoenviromentalists have "their way" with our land! and we pay for it!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are talking about the "Adventure Pass" being a parking permit you can just ignore it. The "Adventure Pass" was shot down for the last time in Federal Court more than a year ago - it's no longer enforceable. If you want to "donate" go ahead and pay the fee but no court will enforce the fine now. It's strictly a volunteer deal if you give them money for parking.

pistol perfect

Feb 7, 2008
southern california
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug pro
I live in the san bernardino area and detect the entire mountain area. I have never been told to leave or anything in that nature. in all of california the only place I dont detect is areas very well landscaped. like really nice parks in nice areas or high visibilty areas well landscaped!

Clarkkent81

Jun 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to hit the canyons!

this is great news ... anyone MD up in azusa cyn with good luck ? im pretty close by and would like to find a fellow MD who wants to hit some cyns , i will get my parking permit next yr but im jonesing to hunt up there even if i go alone .

I would be up for going. Would love to hit the canyons with my MD.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would do it even if it was illegal in CA. The laws that CA gov makes up on it's citizens infringe on there Constitutional Rights and its insane. No, two wrongs don't make a right but It sure would make me feel good. So, who's up for some MD in a wilderness area?

Last edited:

K-Mann

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2017
Irvine, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do it even if it was illegal in CA.

I'm with Grumpie....while I am NOT in favor of breaking the law, MD-ing in our mountains should NOT be a crime. Naturally, defacing, destroying the land is a different story than scratching in the dirt. The real crime is the pigs and slobs that leave their trash and graffiti after the weekends. The law should be going after these people and leave us prospectors alone. I have been going to Azusa canyon for 50 years (grew up in Covina) and it's sad to see what people have done. Still good gold up there, this past winter washed down a new layer of dirt...

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do it even if it was illegal in CA.

I'm with Grumpie....while I am NOT in favor of breaking the law, MD-ing in our mountains should NOT be a crime. Naturally, defacing, destroying the land is a different story than scratching in the dirt. The real crime is the pigs and slobs that leave their trash and graffiti after the weekends. The law should be going after these people and leave us prospectors alone. I have been going to Azusa canyon for 50 years (grew up in Covina) and it's sad to see what people have done. Still good gold up there, this past winter washed down a new layer of dirt...
I agree with you, just about every time I go up, I end up taking more trash, than I brought. It never ends. City folk don't know any better. I've metal detected up there, but I find is trash or bullets.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread