About To Buy A Metal Detector. Your Thought On Whats Best For Arizona

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been hanging out in these forums for a few months mainly reading and gathering information. I have now decided to purchase a metal detector. Living in Tucson, Arizona my main objective is to locate gold. I want to keep my budget under $1000.00. I plan to work dry washes, old mining areas, washes that flow sometimes during the year, etc. My short list of detectors, Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, and Gold Lobo SuperTRAQ.

Taking in the consideration of the quality of the each detector, how easy it is to use, the ability to locate gold, warranty, and available accessories, which of these detectors would better fit my needs here in Arizona? I know this is a loaded question but I know there are many treasure hunters in these forums that live or work in Arizona that treasure hunt the great state of Arizona. I may also add I have never used a metal detector, but I am a fast learner and will devote more time learning to use equipment before I step a foot in the field. One of my concerns, I have some hearing loss of high frequency in one of my ears.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZviper,

Where are you planning on hunting? How often do you plan on hunting? How much do you really want to spend. Last but not least, do you want to follow the recommendations of someone you don't know?

I ask those questions because some of the advice you have been given simply isn't the best. As an example, most of the used Minelab PI's won't detect much of the "invisible" gold found around Greaterville or the sub grain gold anywhere else for that matter. I can't say for sure the latest ML model will detect more of this type of gold because I have not tested one, but I do know ALL previous models struggle with it. I know I have watched the best try over and over again and fail over and over again. Rather than take my word for it and jump in and buy something that might not work well for you, please frequent the prospecting club I linked and talk to John Blennert among others. He lives in Tucson Arizona and he will give you an honest answer. He has found a lot of gold from your area and can tell you what to expect and what you might want to use that falls within your price range.

Now, If you are unsure of how well you will stick with this hobby, then you might consider a decent used machine. Most work reliably and will last a long time. Be careful though, at least one manufacturer may not fix some of their older detectors. Fortunately, Whites, Tesoro, and First Texas will work on all previous true gold prospecting models. BTW, First Texas builds Bounty Hunter, Fisher, Teknetics, and who knows what other brand names.

If you feel you will only use the detector for gold hunting, then you can concentrate on those specifically aimed at that type of hunting. I strongly recommend you try before you buy. If you are small framed and/or getting along in years, then you will most likely appreciate some of the lighter models available. Some detectors that might work weigh 3 lbs or so, while others have batteries that weight a lot more than that. Some are better balanced than others.

To be honest, you can spend as much as you want and still not find gold. Swinging a detector over the ground is not the same as real nugget hunting. If you want to be consistently successful you will learn your detector well enough that you will be giving advice and not asking for it.

Picking a detector is like picking a wife, each has their own preferences and what they want or what will fill their needs and desires. Pick the right one and you will be together for a long time. Pick the wrong one and it can get expensive as well as be a bad experience.

Reg
Reg, I like to get outdoors so I plan to stick with the hobby. I am not a small frame person so the weight of a MD is not an issue. I do plan to make contact with the local club as it appears they meet not far from where I live. My big game hunting has taken me all over southern Arizona so anywhere south of the middle of the state is open for travel. I like your open and honest opinion and you’re correct in that I would never base my decision on one person. I am sure that there is those in these forums that are in some way connected to the products they are pushing. I am able to read between the lines. As for now I would like to stay under $1500.00. Just dropped a few thousand on a 2010 hydraulic tilting 6 ton trailer that I will use this next summer.

20121207112222.jpg

"Picking a detector is like picking a wife, each has their own preferences and what they want or what will fill their needs and desires. Pick the right one and you will be together for a long time. Pick the wrong one and it can get expensive as well as be a bad experience". Exactly!!!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Cow Batman! AzViper, with a 6 ton trailer you can carry a lot of detecting samples!! Sorry, I could not help myself.

I own and use a Whites GMT that I purchased new in 2007, my how time flys! It has found gold for me where I did not find gold with the new original Gold Bug I purchased. But the truth is one must use a detector a lot AND PUT The Coil over gold so one must set aside some good amount of time in research and in field hunting. There are several good prospecting detectors out there and you've heard about all of them but put some time into learning about the country you are about to go into as if there happens to be a solid layer of iron ore my GMT will not work there. There are drawbacks to all detectors so learn by asking as you have and know the area you are going into. Terry Solomon has been in Arizona a long time so I would have to start out with his inputs. Then there is Terry C and his brother and they have been in AZ now for a couple of years or more. All three will offer good advice as well as likely some geology info on the country you expect to go to.

The best of success with your Quest!.........63bkpkr

185_8517.JPG What my GMT helped me to find in 2010. I need some new pictures!!

AZV - I just went through more of the posts and found a brother in you. I Did Not purchase the Zeiss binos but I did get the Leupold ED glass units and am pleased with them BUT I did purchase a Zeiss 85mm spotting scope as hands down it brought in more light and I had the money for it back then. Going to the detecting club should be informative but they will still be opinionated though well meaning folks and they will have some inputs on the mineralization of places in AZ.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZV - I just went through more of the posts and found a brother in you. I Did Not purchase the Zeiss binos but I did get the Leupold ED glass units and am pleased with them BUT I did purchase a Zeiss 85mm spotting scope as hands down it brought in more light and I had the money for it back then. Going to the detecting club should be informative but they will still be opinionated though well meaning folks and they will have some inputs on the mineralization of places in AZ.

63bkpkr, you can't go wrong with any Zeiss product. I have Hassblad Medium format camera gear and all the lenes are Zeiss glass. Rather sad that Zeiss discontinued this binocular model below as it is bullet proof. I have spotted many Coues Deer and watched a mountian lion take down a Coues Deer buck from 1/2 mile away. Once I got the lion in the left side field of view and the buck in the right side field of view I estimated the two animals were a good 150 yards apart. It took the lion 2 hours to cover the distance as he moved so slowing as to not tip the buck off. From about 10 feet the lion made one large leap and had the buck by the neck. I have even placed a video camera up against the Zeiss and captured video through the binoculars. I had thought at one time of developing and adapter to connect the Zeiss and video camera.

1354114812_460001081_1-Fotos-de--Binocular-Zeiss-15x60.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mornin AzV,
Watching the Cougar stalk that deer had to be quite an experience! Those armored Zeiss Binoculars are bullet proof but they fell out of vogue with the current customers. My Leupolds are considered heavy by today's "birders" but they are strong and I am pleased with the clarity they offer as well as the low light ability for early morning/dusk applications. As it turns out my binos have also been discontinued.

Yup, really good equipment that is actually used by the owner is worth every cent paid for it as the equipment does all that it is supposed too for a long time! I never made the leap to the medium format Hasselblad though I had one in my hands and was seriously considering it as well as a couple of lenses. Instead I purchased a Nikon FE with the 50 f1.2 main lens and used it steadily for many years, recently gave it to my son. Once I realized my backpacks were just getting too heavy I purchased a Canon G3 with a 4 megapixel sensor and that has become the only camera I use though I'm toying with the idea of one of the HD movie cameras as they are just so small and they can be used for still photography. Still, I miss using the Nikon as it is still a fantastic camera. Of course there is nothing like the information that comes from the superb glass and functionality of the Hasseblad. Awesome equipment!! I hope you stay in touch and share with all of us about what detector you decide on and then of course share how it works for you........63bkpkr

As long as we are sharing our favorite toys, here's a shot of my carry revolver that I take with me whenever I'm out in the hills. It is a modified Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casual, now has a 5.25" barrel with Magna-porting and of course the all rubber grips.

195_9527.JPG I happened to find myself in Freedom, Montana one day and stopped at the Freedom Firearms factory store. At the time I knew nothing about the caliber but fortunately I noticed two demonstration plates, 1/4" and 3/8" steel with massive holes through them. The information those holes passed to me was what sold me on the caliber. I've had far too many 'incidents' with bears to leave home without carrying my insurance policy with me.

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the same Alaskan SRH that i would love to make the same modifications as you did. Any info would be very much appreciated, thanks...Rob

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rob,
I started out with the standard full length barrel on the SRH. I sent the weapon to Mag-na-Port in Michigan where they removed the barrel cut it down to say Super Red, recut the crown to a reverse crown, installed the stock front sight and then cut the four trapezoid cuts which is their signature Mag-na-Port signature. The stock SRH, when I bought it sometime in ~1997, came with a combo wood/rubber grip which I took off and added the Hogue full rubber pebbled grips.

With the 5 1/4" barrel/porting/grips and the crown, when fired it rises about six inches and kicks straight back. It is very accurate! It throws a 300 grain slug down range amazingly fast to tag a placer boulder about half a football field away. I had it cut down as when I'm out cliff climbing the full length barrel stops the left leg from going all the way up to get at the foothold I know is there, the 5 1/4" barrel is more forgiving and is in the way a lot less.

Hold on for this one - I guess I was in the right place at the right time as when I purchased the revolver from a legitimate sporting goods store in San Jose CA it cost $570 plus tax for the stock weapon. I was in shock when they quoted the price to me and just bought one right then and there. Picked it up 10 days later, looked at it for week deciding what to do and sent it off without even firing it. It still weighs a ton but I would not even consider going off on a trip without it. Oh, I requested the cut off barrel section back and have it as a keep sake. I may have also had Mag-na-Port polish up the trigger mechanism. At the moment I do not recall what they charged me but it was worth every cent.

Another modified Ruger I have is a 50th Anniversary MKII with a Volquartsen Deluxe 10" barrel and their version of a muzzle brake threaded onto the barrel. The only drawback to the barrel is that you can not fire hyper velocity ammunition in it. I called and talked with them as I tried using .22 caliber CCI Stinger ammo and it worked for a dozen or more rounds and then started jamming all the time. I went back to standard velocity, 1280 fps, and it works like a dream easily out to 100 yards or more. I had Volquartsen install every modification they offered into the receiver: beaver tail trigger, trigger travel stops in either direction, extended bolt release and it is one Sweet Shooting piece. I added the Hogue grips. All that work costs around $800. Were I to do it again I would have ALL the trick stuff and the 10" barrel without their compensator and then I'd send it to Mag-na-Port for porting. And I would have then install iron sights on it as well as the Picatinny Rail.

Am I nuts? Maybe but I do enjoy shooting either piece.

197_9772.JPG 197_9773.JPG 197_9775.JPG

197_9776.JPG 197_9778_r1.jpg I do not have the ability to do this all the time but these two experiments have turned out well.........63bkpkr/Herb

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the great info Herb, I like the way you do things. Backpacked for quite a few years with mine but I started getting tired of the weight(Ruger puts a lot of steel into their frames as you well know) so now it only comes out in bear country. I have since switched to carrying the new single action Vaquero(stainless-4.5" barrel) in .45colt and man is it a lot lighter and less bulky (frame smaller and cylinder wall a bit thinner). Most of my backpacking/prospecting is in the So Cal mtns./deserts were the big cats, rattle snakes and dirt bags are the main issue (Still a fair match for a black bear) I load it with .45 colt Buffalo Bore Keith GS and at least a CCI shot shell or two. Very accurate and easy to control even when shot single handed. For most of the areas I work, I feel its enough. I just last week bought the Taurus "California compliant" Judge carbine and man is it a sweet little lite weight rifle for backpacking. Good luck out there....Rob

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hahaha us boyz do love our bang bang toyz. From my 45-70(to reach out and touch someone) to my 12 gage double barreled carriage gun(up close and personal) to my numerous 22s as I coveth them all :laughing7: by the dozen --god bless the 2nd amendment -John

Attachments

• 100_2763.jpg
    100_2763.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 188

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rob,
The .45 Colt should do an admirable job with any of the items you've mentioned. Have you ever fired the Vaquero with a solid slug with a bird shot round still in it? I did that "once" with the .454 and it shattered the plastic nose of the birdshot round and the little pellets trickled all throughout the cylinder jamming it tight. The 'Judge' rifle, that should be an interesting piece with all sorts of potential for potent ammunition! .45 long colt rounds, .410 slugs/buck shot/etc., I need to take a look at that. And yes I've noticed once or twice all the metal that Ruger puts into the SRH .454 but when I fire that thing I appreciate all that metal even more. That 2" long hunk of left over cut off barrel is even heavy but it makes a good paper weight.

Hi John, and yes Us Boyz and a few Girlz fortunately as well do enjoy our our metal noise makers. I know of at least one knock down drag out gorgeous bear that appreciates or maybe I should say understands something about them as well and bears are why I carry that howitzer. It was coming into camp one morning, as it happened I was still nice and comfy in my sleeping bag when I heard these two gigantic crunch-crunch sounds, I knew what it was without seeing it. As the bear was leaving I fired two rounds over its right shoulder as I hoped the noise would keep it from coming back after I'd left for the day. I'm happy to say it worked, the bear was taught something new about humans and I hope the lesson will keep it from any real harm in the years to come especially if it was a female as now it is less likely to teach its cubs that humans carry free meals or are one. A 45-70 Reach out and touch someone message, that runs a shiver up my spine. Is that a Marlin Carbine?

Shucks now I feel like going out to the range. Enjoy folks..........63bkpkr

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never had a plastic cap separate from the cartridge inside the cylinder but its sure good to be aware of, thanks for sharing that Herb. I too have always had a thing for the 45/70(own 4 of them, all marlins) and I still take it on the trail occasionally for short backpacking trips where the weight isn't such a factor. I bought the Judge carbine mainly as a super lite weight .410 to supplement my backpack food with some fresh rabbit/birds on those long back country trips. I'm sure you know what I mean....Rob

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Super Red Hawk that I got in 1990, I 've contemplated Mag-na-porting it for years. Right now I have the Hogue grip on it and a 2x Burris scope. The scope turned it into a 150 yard paper plate puncher. When I deer hunt I carry it in a shoulder holster on my ATV as a back up to my rifle. In Colorado you can't carry a loaded rifle on an ATV, but you can carry a loaded handgun. So if I come roaring around a corner and come face to face with a 10x10 dream buck, all I have to do to be legal is jump off of the ATV then I can start blazing away.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dropping a big old 10x10 rock eater muley with a hand gun would be a dream come true alright. This year I've been trying out some of the Hornady Lever-Evolution ammo in my lever rifles and revolvers and the results have been impressive. These poly-cone tipped bullets have doubled my accuracy with these guns(over round/flat nose ammo) and have proven very effective this deer season. Although for bear defense I would still prefer hard cast flat nose. Hope you put some meat in the freezer...Rob

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Super Red Hawk that I got in 1990, I 've contemplated Mag-na-porting it for years. Right now I have the Hogue grip on it and a 2x Burris scope. The scope turned it into a 150 yard paper plate puncher. When I deer hunt I carry it in a shoulder holster on my ATV as a back up to my rifle. In Colorado you can't carry a loaded rifle on an ATV, but you can carry a loaded handgun. So if I come roaring around a corner and come face to face with a 10x10 dream buck, all I have to do to be legal is jump off of the ATV then I can start blazing away.

Nuggetshooter323, I have a Dan Wesson 8" scoped 44 that I have used on the Arizona Javelina Handgun hunts. I use across the chest Bandolier holster. I was out shooting at the local range at 200 yards on a rest and was grouping 3 shots touching each other. This old guy made a remark to me as though he did not approve of this weapon prior to me unleashing the lead downrange. Next thing I knew he was standing at my bench and said, "Had I not seen it with my eyes I would not believe that you hit that target at this range with a handgun". I offered to let him fire it but he refused.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My gold prospecting buddy.

Attachments

• HistoryChanShoot31012 273.jpg
    HistoryChanShoot31012 273.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 125
  • HistoryChanShoot31012 274.jpg
    HistoryChanShoot31012 274.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 126

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOTE: With a 5 1/4" barrel Mag-no-ported with the 4 slots, a 2 x 8 power Leupold pistol scope mounted to the stock SRH mounting points my 454 blows all sorts of soot over the objective lens. Had I thought about this ahead of time I would have purchased a good red dot sight for fast acquisition of a 10 x 10 as I came around a blind corner on the old mining road..63bkpkr

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've not tried 200 yards before, but since I have the 7 1/2" barrel on mine and with a rest, I might be able to pull that one off also. I'm hoping to be able to bag a pig with mine in the near future, because I've been hearing a lot of talk that Texas and Kansas oinkers are solidly moving into southeast Colorado. I'll have to find a farmer or a rancher willing to let me knock some down.

Nuggetshooter323, I have a Dan Wesson 8" scoped 44 that I have used on the Arizona Javelina Handgun hunts. I use across the chest Bandolier holster. I was out shooting at the local range at 200 yards on a rest and was grouping 3 shots touching each other. This old guy made a remark to me as though he did not approve of this weapon prior to me unleashing the lead downrange. Next thing I knew he was standing at my bench and said, "Had I not seen it with my eyes I would not believe that you hit that target at this range with a handgun". I offered to let him fire it but he refused.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, since YOU guys have strayed from the theme of the thread, I will add that my latest additions to REQUIRED equipment are a SigSaur P220 and Bushmaster in .223 with a red dot sight. Hope I NEVER have to use them so I practice nearly daily. Back to the thread.... Tnx for the pat on the back Herb. I picked the GB2 above my other machine, the GMT, simply because my first gold machine was a Scorpion Stinger (Garrett) manual ground balance. The Stinger has its place but won't even wimper on gold the GB2 and GMT will easily sound off on. I LIKE manual ground balance. My next machine will be the Tesoro LST, based on the reviews from my friend Terry Soloman... also because he promised me a BEER when we meet in Prescott! The bottom line.... LEARN whatever machine you get. Give it the suggested 100 hours of use before considering replacement. Finding a nugget with a metal detector is a lesson in PATIENCE! Don't give up. (Hey Herb) Merry CHRISTmas all! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread