Can anyone suggest a metal detector for finding gold in rivers

joesdigs

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I'm about to embark on my first season of gold prospecting and detecting. I would be so grateful if you could recommend a good detector for use in rivers and streams. I currently use an explorer xs for coin and relic but upon reading reviews it seems it won't be up
To the task of gold prospecting or is it? Thank you all in advance .... I hope :p

Upvote 0
OP
OP
joesdigs

joesdigs

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes restrictions are on everything.., even metal detecting is illegal.. However there's freedom of the rivers to pan and look of gold.. But you must turn any finds over to the state... But that won't be happening. ;) they can buy it like everyone else :p

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is illegal?! Holy carp, I won't be going there!

OP
OP
joesdigs

joesdigs

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha... Add to the fun of it..,

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, that sucks that so much is illegal over there to do with relic hunting and prospecting. :(

OP
OP
joesdigs

joesdigs

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Won't and hasn't stopped me ;)

pistol perfect

Feb 7, 2008
southern california
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug pro
so if you just drop this machine in the water just one time its junk? I went out today to azusa canyon and was so scared to get my machine wet or fall in the water while trying to hike up stream. I also have the pro. and your post have taught me a lot! I actually printed some of your post out and was reading them while out in the field today. no gold yet with my machine. but I also have not been out much.

Hello Joesdigs, are you wanting a fully submersible detector or a detector to walk through the water and detect bedrock you can reach? If you are not diving and just want to detect bedrock in the streambed then I would say the Fisher GB Pro. It is waterproof and will detect sub-grain gold underwater just as good as on dry ground. The Ferrous indicator is fantastic for finding patterns of black sand in a stream. Last year I sniped just the areas that I got signals on and did very well. You will narrow down your time by not working non-paying bedrock and go for the gold in the productive zones. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so if you just drop this machine in the water just one time its junk? I went out today to azusa canyon and was so scared to get my machine wet or fall in the water while trying to hike up stream. I also have the pro. and your post have taught me a lot! I actually printed some of your post out and was reading them while out in the field today. no gold yet with my machine. but I also have not been out much.

I don't know exactly which detector you are talking about, but unless it designed to go underwater, then YES drop it in the water one time and you will most likely fry it.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, it's only waterproof till you hit the box, then its all over. x_x

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread