Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Gold detecting in northern california.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2012

Gold detecting in northern california.

Anyone know any good public or even private claims or anywhere I can go gold detecing ? Somewhere? I just got a gold bug and don't know where to go?

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3253 times
    Metal Detecting
    Time for you to join a club! Use Google and Bing, and look up gold prospecting clubs in your area!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AGATRIPPhotos 080.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	581.4 KB 
ID:	718835  

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1510 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.
    Nice picture Terry! Lots of character in that shot.

And I agree that finding a club to join is a great way to get a person's feet wet while first starting out.

All the best,

Lanny
    Terry Soloman likes this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Peace Through Superior Firepower

Jul 2005
    Colorado Springs
    Tesoro LST, Tejon, Diablo II "Gold Demon", Whites GMT, TreasureMaster PI 3000, Falcon MD20, Vibraprobe
    185 times
    Prospecting
    Nicely worn tip on your pick also Terry.

us
    Jan 2013
    Gold river
    Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
    27 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mendodaze
    Anyone know any good public or even private claims or anywhere I can go gold detecing ? Somewhere? I just got a gold bug and don't know where to go?
    Hello mendodaze. Best to join the GPAA they give you access to hundreds of claims. I just jointed and I'm looking also for a local club or group to go prospecting with. Let me know if you hear of any. Thanks

May 2012
    nevada
    1474 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Since you're from NorCal, try flying close over MotherLode areas within driving distance using Google Earth - you can see miles of river bedrock as well as
    the gray areas that look "deforested". These are really ancient tertiary placer grounds. The vast majority of these hydraulic diggings are claimed, but you can
    locate some fringes that can be beeped. The rivers are claimed also, but you can find a few "open" areas if you research. This can be an option if you're
    not a joiner, otherwise Terry and Lanny have the best advice.

us
    Dec 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
    223 times
    Prospecting
    I've been looking at clubs and I'm starting to think though the GPAA has hundreds of claims they are all over the place state to state. Probably great if you want to travel. I'm not putting GPAA down. I know of many people who belong to several clubs. If you're planning on staying in northern cal. See if there are local clubs that have several claims in your area you'd like to hit. Do the research of the clubs and see what their plans are. Each year new claims are added and others deleted. Plus sometimes rules. So before you join visit them and review the clubs goals. The GPAA is fairly inexpensive compared to some local clubs. But some local clubs might better serve your needs.

us
    Digitny

Jan 2013
    Cortlandt NY
    Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Time for you to join a club! Use Google and Bing, and look up gold prospecting clubs in your area!
    Thats an awesome picture, love everything about it!!

us
    Sniper

Aug 2012
    Redding
    Eyes - Fisher Gold Bug II
    348 times
    Prospecting
    Go over to the Miners Cache in Redding and ask about info for the Shasta Miners club, they have several claims and are cheap as far as memberships go, $55 or around there for a Family Membership.
    Head in the water, butt in the air.
    Now I know why ducks do it!
    Underwater Sniper n00b

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2645 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    ...better get that PLASTIC pan away from that fire!!!
    Terry Soloman and TerryC like this.
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Aug 2005
    Nevada
    XLT, GM3, GM4b
    7 times
    I went to a goldhound club meeting in the motherload hoping to find places to go and it was no luck. Members knew of hydraulic mines open to public but would not tell me where i could go. Local gold shop was a big sponsor, i email them after the meeting introducing my self asking where i could go and they responded to go join a different metal detecting club. Even at the goldhounds meeting they stated they do not advertise , want or need new members. Its a shame but same ole, same ole. Even the prospectors are against prospecting, lol. Very dissapointing, im going to hit blm eventually and a bunch of maps and just go out. Ive also contacted a few guys on the boards but nothing ever pans out. Ive found 3 pieces when i was going out but they were more of a fluke and they were all in the city found while looking for coins. Hopefully ill be sniping this spring and summer for the first time.

us
    Jan 2013
    Gold river
    Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
    27 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by robbor
    I went to a goldhound club meeting in the motherload hoping to find places to go and it was no luck. Members knew of hydraulic mines open to public but would not tell me where i could go. Local gold shop was a big sponsor, i email them after the meeting introducing my self asking where i could go and they responded to go join a different metal detecting club. Even at the goldhounds meeting they stated they do not advertise , want or need new members. Its a shame but same ole, same ole. Even the prospectors are against prospecting, lol. Very dissapointing, im going to hit blm eventually and a bunch of maps and just go out. Ive also contacted a few guys on the boards but nothing ever pans out. Ive found 3 pieces when i was going out but they were more of a fluke and they were all in the city found while looking for coins. Hopefully ill be sniping this spring and summer for the first time.
    Robbor, I just came back from the BLM with some maps they sell them for 4 bucks each and the guy mike that word there is very helpful gave me good info. Best way to get it, is to do it yourself. That's what I'm doing. I'll find it myself just have to do the research. It might take alittle Time but it will pay off. Good luck don't let them discourage you.

us
    May 2009
    Garden Valley, ca.
    Gold Bug Pro
    1469 times
    I didn't have much luck with the goldhounds either...they did like to talk about being a club that was about it...didn't even discusss outings.

us
    MOΛΩN ΛABE

Jan 2013
    Northern California
    Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
    72 times
    Prospecting
    "Mendodaze" ..A lot of private clubs can be very hushed these days . Applications have gone up 10 fold . It's just a fact. I know a few guys from Goldhounds. I dont prospect with them . I have my own places to go and like it that way.

We run our own Drift mine and the area around the claim isnt great for MD'ing because its so steep. I do though belong to Golden Caribou Mining Club and have for years. It is a paid membership club, but we have approx 30 claims to work. When I want to get away from the mine , I can head out to the GCMC claims instead, or my own spots. As far as I know they are still taking new members.

Just a thought.

As far as finding your own place to go , you've gotta research. The web is a good start. BLM will help you stay off claims and private property. Half the hunt is finding places to go. Sometimes you have to be willing to hike ( sometimes a lot of hiking) . This can really pay off though .

Old mining journals ie: "California bureau of mines and geology", library's in the county you want to hunt , can be awesome resources .

Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Ca70; Jan 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Fullpan likes this.

us
    Link's Clone

Dec 2012
    WA State
    Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
    103 times
    Prospecting
    Where's the bottle of Captain or Crown? That's the only thing missing in that shot. Maybe add a corn cob pipe too haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors