Gold detecting in northern california.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time for you to join a club! Use Google and Bing, and look up gold prospecting clubs in your area!

Attachments

• AGATRIPPhotos 080.jpg
    AGATRIPPhotos 080.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 533

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice picture Terry! Lots of character in that shot.

And I agree that finding a club to join is a great way to get a person's feet wet while first starting out.

All the best,

Lanny

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely worn tip on your pick also Terry.:notworthy:

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mendodaze said:
Anyone know any good public or even private claims or anywhere I can go gold detecing ? Somewhere? I just got a gold bug and don't know where to go?

Hello mendodaze. Best to join the GPAA they give you access to hundreds of claims. I just jointed and I'm looking also for a local club or group to go prospecting with. Let me know if you hear of any. Thanks

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you're from NorCal, try flying close over MotherLode areas within driving distance using Google Earth - you can see miles of river bedrock as well as
the gray areas that look "deforested". These are really ancient tertiary placer grounds. The vast majority of these hydraulic diggings are claimed, but you can
locate some fringes that can be beeped. The rivers are claimed also, but you can find a few "open" areas if you research. This can be an option if you're
not a joiner, otherwise Terry and Lanny have the best advice.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been looking at clubs and I'm starting to think though the GPAA has hundreds of claims they are all over the place state to state. Probably great if you want to travel. I'm not putting GPAA down. I know of many people who belong to several clubs. If you're planning on staying in northern cal. See if there are local clubs that have several claims in your area you'd like to hit. Do the research of the clubs and see what their plans are. Each year new claims are added and others deleted. Plus sometimes rules. So before you join visit them and review the clubs goals. The GPAA is fairly inexpensive compared to some local clubs. But some local clubs might better serve your needs.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go over to the Miners Cache in Redding and ask about info for the Shasta Miners club, they have several claims and are cheap as far as memberships go, $55 or around there for a Family Membership.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time for you to join a club! Use Google and Bing, and look up gold prospecting clubs in your area!

...better get that PLASTIC pan away from that fire!!! :laughing7:

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
I went to a goldhound club meeting in the motherload hoping to find places to go and it was no luck. Members knew of hydraulic mines open to public but would not tell me where i could go. Local gold shop was a big sponsor, i email them after the meeting introducing my self asking where i could go and they responded to go join a different metal detecting club. Even at the goldhounds meeting they stated they do not advertise , want or need new members. Its a shame but same ole, same ole. Even the prospectors are against prospecting, lol. Very dissapointing, im going to hit blm eventually and a bunch of maps and just go out. Ive also contacted a few guys on the boards but nothing ever pans out. Ive found 3 pieces when i was going out but they were more of a fluke and they were all in the city found while looking for coins. Hopefully ill be sniping this spring and summer for the first time.

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
robbor said:
I went to a goldhound club meeting in the motherload hoping to find places to go and it was no luck. Members knew of hydraulic mines open to public but would not tell me where i could go. Local gold shop was a big sponsor, i email them after the meeting introducing my self asking where i could go and they responded to go join a different metal detecting club. Even at the goldhounds meeting they stated they do not advertise , want or need new members. Its a shame but same ole, same ole. Even the prospectors are against prospecting, lol. Very dissapointing, im going to hit blm eventually and a bunch of maps and just go out. Ive also contacted a few guys on the boards but nothing ever pans out. Ive found 3 pieces when i was going out but they were more of a fluke and they were all in the city found while looking for coins. Hopefully ill be sniping this spring and summer for the first time.

Robbor, I just came back from the BLM with some maps they sell them for 4 bucks each and the guy mike that word there is very helpful gave me good info. Best way to get it, is to do it yourself. That's what I'm doing. I'll find it myself just have to do the research. It might take alittle Time but it will pay off. Good luck don't let them discourage you.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't have much luck with the goldhounds either...they did like to talk about being a club that was about it...didn't even discusss outings.

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Mendodaze" ..A lot of private clubs can be very hushed these days . Applications have gone up 10 fold . It's just a fact. I know a few guys from Goldhounds. I dont prospect with them . I have my own places to go and like it that way.

We run our own Drift mine and the area around the claim isnt great for MD'ing because its so steep. I do though belong to Golden Caribou Mining Club and have for years. It is a paid membership club, but we have approx 30 claims to work. When I want to get away from the mine , I can head out to the GCMC claims instead, or my own spots. As far as I know they are still taking new members.

Just a thought.

As far as finding your own place to go , you've gotta research. The web is a good start. BLM will help you stay off claims and private property. Half the hunt is finding places to go. Sometimes you have to be willing to hike ( sometimes a lot of hiking) . This can really pay off though .

Old mining journals ie: "California bureau of mines and geology", library's in the county you want to hunt , can be awesome resources .

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where's the bottle of Captain or Crown? That's the only thing missing in that shot. Maybe add a corn cob pipe too haha:).

Tree!

Jan 16, 2013
Inland Empire, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mjarvis said:
Robbor, I just came back from the BLM with some maps they sell them for 4 bucks each and the guy mike that word there is very helpful gave me good info. Best way to get it, is to do it yourself. That's what I'm doing. I'll find it myself just have to do the research. It might take alittle Time but it will pay off. Good luck don't let them discourage you.

So is it alright to prospect on BLM land? I'm new to this.

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tree! said:

Yes. Call down to there office, talk to mike he will set you up with the maps you want to go out and prospect. The office is in El dorado hills off Latrobe.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

...make certain you are not ,"prospecting",on an active claim

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
kuger said:
...make certain you are not ,"prospecting",on an active claim

That is right unless you get permission from the land owner.

OP
OP
mendodaze

mendodaze

Dec 26, 2012
Ca 70 your right I need to find the right club! Where are your guys claims?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread