Frequency on gold

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
I'm confused and maybe some experts can set me straight. I see gold detectors with freqs like 71 khz and some "gold detectors" with freqs like 18khz I understand the lower the freq the deeper it will find a target (if it's large enough) however the higher the freq the better on small gold but not as deep, so how come the sovereign gt with up to 1.5-25khz is getting a bad rap as a gold hunter when units like the fisher gold bug pro run 18khz? Mind you I don't plan on gold hunting I'm just trying to understand the freq on gold as the freaks are all over the place...what gives?
:icon_scratch:Thanks

Upvote 0

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jim,

Well, thank you! I guess I am a little embarrassed. There are too many people I look up to for me to have attained the heights you have ascribed to me. I have learned a lot from you, for instance. There are few finer gifts than the gift of knowledge. One of those rare things you can give away over and over and still keep.

I enjoy teaching. I am giving three free classes in detecting next week and looking forward to it. I do lots of free speaking gigs also this time of year. There is nothing I enjoy talking about more than metal detecting.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whether paramagnetic or ferromagnetic, all metals conduct electricity and create
electromagnetic fields. Low frequencies have better sensitivity to copper and silver, while higher frequency detectors
are more sensitive to natural gold.

One issue I haven't seen mentioned when it comes to ground balancing is the RF absorptive
properties of granular magnetite and Ferrite. In RF/EMC test chambers, the first layer of
RF absorptive material that goes on are 6.2mm ferrite tiles mounted on panels. The panels are
installed in a manner that all 4 walls and ceiling are completely covered.

This is a very expensive, but necessary part of an RF chamber, in that the Ferrite tiles
will absorb vast amounts of RF energy, and while generally considered most efficient
from 30 MHz - 1 GHz, there is still some measurable levels of absorption down to about 14 kHz.

Thought this might be useful in getting a better understanding of ground balancing, as
I am sure that absorptive properties of the ferrite have some part in the balancing equation.
Unfortunately, understanding that is a bit above my pay grade but I'm hoping one of the
better educated chaps might chime in.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
You have got to love this forum!!!! Robi and I are researching detectors and I was about to post a question on just this subject when I found this thread! It explains a LOT and answers tons of questions I've been developing as I attempt to research different machines targeted towards detecting gold. Now I can proceed with a MUCH better idea of what I'm looking at as i go through the specifications on these different machines!

Jeff

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJnuggetpirate... I would venture say that Steve Herschbach is the most highly regarded and respected individual in the metal detecting / prospecting community in modern times. He possesses a very well documented history of unparalleled successes in the gold prospecting field over several decades... in Alaska, Australia, and gold areas of the West.

Steve willingly shares his expertise and has helped me and countless others over many long years... a completely unselfish individual... whose remarks / advice are unequivocal and unbiased with regard to brands.

I've known Steve for a lot of years now... and I hope this doesn't embarrass him too much... but heck... he has earned and deserves this acknowledgement for his many longterm contributions within this community.

Jim.

Agreed

bj139

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2011
I always say it's the wife's fault. Well, not out loud anyway. Was she holding the yardstick behind the bench with her left hand?

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve i told you, you are a awsome teacher and a nugget master

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
So, after reading these posts, the old Minelab FT16000, which was sold as a prospecting machine, is not really a good gold prospecting machine, compared to the XT705? Not being a smart alec, it's a serious question

Last edited:

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, after reading these posts, the old Minelab FT16000, which was sold as a prospecting machine, is not really a good gold prospecting machine? Not being a smart alec, it's a serious question

Compared to what? Computers sold twenty years ago were great but do not compare well to today's computers. The FT1600 was a great machine in its day but that day has passed. Back then large shallow nuggets were common by today's standards and it did just fine on those, and would still do well on larger nuggets.

I get nostalgic about old machines but when I get my hands on one I usually find my memory has added extra shine that does not appear when the detectors are used today. The newer machines are spoilers.

Last edited:

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compared to what? Computers sold twenty years ago were great but do not compare well to today's computers. The FT1600 was a great machine in its day. and that day has passed. Back then large shallow nuggets were common by today's standards and it did just fine on those, and would still do well on larger nuggets.

I get nostalgic about old machines but when I get my hands on one I usually find my memory has added extra shine that does not appear when the detectors are used today. The newer machines are spoilers.

What is the first screen model metal detector?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread