Im looking for someone to prospect california over the next 3 months any takers?

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am not tied down here in michigan and i am ready to get on a plane and fly out to either sacramento or los angeles. If i go to sacramento then I am gonna want to go to the yuba river middle fork and possibly south fork or if someone has a vehicle then we could go north to the siskiyou area. But i am familiar with yuba river, american river north fork and bear river, i would want to go to yuba river preffered because there is lots of gold still to be found there since its a difficult river to get to and the good spots require some hiking. If i go to the Los angeles area then the east fork san gabriel river is were i will head and i have a few spots that also require a solid 3 to 4 mile hike which should contain some decent gold. If anyone want to get together an go please let me know. I want to camp it out for the next 2-3 months and if you dont want to camp it out and return to your house then that is fine as well with me and i can stay behind on the river or if we get along and you have a extra spot to sleep i would not turn that down :tongue3: either way it would be nice just to have someone to prospect with and you can move bigger boulders with 2 people and much more good comes with 2 then 1. Please anyone who wants to go let me know. Im ready!

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keepme, I am assuming that the lack of responses to your post should be telling you something. Not that no one wants to take you up on the adventure but most are trying to feed families and striking out to an unknown is daunting! Like your other post, I wish I was 30 years younger. If you wish to do some recovery of gold, c'mon down to AZ where I can quarantee you will find gold. If you are young and will spend some sweat, we'll see what you're made of. How much gold? 3/4 ounce or more a month. But that is not part of the quarantee. I find gold. Others on our claims find gold. You will too. We will even come down to Phoenix to pick you up. Think about this LITTLE adventure as a prelude to AK. TTC

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that the Sierra has about three ft. of snow above 3,500 alt., and it will likely be there til April at least. Brrr! I, personally would head toward Terry. PS here's what it looks likehttp://www.magyver.com/weather/weather.htm

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fullpan, by now there is also some good snow in Michigan, I know from personal experience.

KMHL, the NorCal rivers are also running heavy, cold and dangerous. Terry's offer is a downright generous one and will keep you out of the snow but you will still need warm clothes and some rain gear. If I was not working full time and expecting to have some serious shoulder surgery I would sure head there...........63bkpkr

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humbleme - hope you find this humorous, but you just gave me a crazy idea! How about us prospectors get a phony non-profit organization going? We can
call it something like, "Friends of the Eastern Woodlands" The "mission statement" will read "in order to fully appreciate the treasures of Sierra Nevada, we
will sponsor 100 young men from eastern states, to fly them out and put them to work restoring damage to the rivers. They will act strictly as volunteers! Please Donate Now!

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Terry I am thrilled to just have read your message. I would be fine with 3/4 of an oz not guarenteed and especially to be around some nice prospectors as yourself. Even willing to pick me up wow! Am i dreaming or are there really that awsome of people and prospectors out there. Terry I am gonna get to checking out some plane flights. What would be the essentials that I would need to bring? I dont have a drywasher but i have 2 sluice boxes 1 that is a folding sluice and i do have a metal detector. What kind of mineralization do you have in AZ? Is there a spot i can set up my tent and have access to some kind of water source? I wouldnt mind boiling river or creek water but from what i have studied of AZ there is little of water to be found for the most part. Thanks Terry and I am heading to cheapair.com to check for some flights. Hope to hear back soon from you. Thanks for your time
Donovan

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fullpan for the weather update. Yes I think I am gonna take up Terrys offer if it all pans out. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Terry I am thrilled to just have read your message. I would be fine with 3/4 of an oz not guarenteed and especially to be around some nice prospectors as yourself. Even willing to pick me up wow! Am i dreaming or are there really that awsome of people and prospectors out there. Terry I am gonna get to checking out some plane flights. What would be the essentials that I would need to bring? I dont have a drywasher but i have 2 sluice boxes 1 that is a folding sluice and i do have a metal detector. What kind of mineralization do you have in AZ? Is there a spot i can set up my tent and have access to some kind of water source? I wouldnt mind boiling river or creek water but from what i have studied of AZ there is little of water to be found for the most part. Thanks Terry and I am heading to cheapair.com to check for some flights. Hope to hear back soon from you. Thanks for your time
Donovan
Sorry if this was posted twice i didnt think i replied under the proper thread the first time

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea Terry I forgot to mention yes Im 28 and ready to sweat for the gold. I am not afraid to work hard in sunny or rainy or even snow. I really enjoy the prospect for gold.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Donovan, Are you a MASSOCHIST? You will be staying in my RV. All you need to bring is personal clothing and toiletries. We have all the equipment you will need. Ha ha. If you think this is a dream, wait till you start sweating. Collecting 3/4 ounce of gold will make you SWEAT. Yet, I think you will enjoy yourself. We will talk again. TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Donovan, as to my PM to you, I see that you've found someone that's willing to help you out. I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that's it's incredibly hard work to get gold. When they say you'll be sweating--that's no understatement. You'll drag yourself into that trailer every night for the first while with screaming muscles, and you'll kind of drop dead into bed until you're up early to stay with that 3/4 ounce possible quota you've set for yourself. Long days will be your norm.

It's always been lots of hard work, but you're young, and if you're truly ready for the reality that you may work a month and not get your quota, that's a good way to be realistic about what you're up against. It will be a great experience for you to harden you for any other later prospecting experience, such as was mentioned in an earlier post, like going to AK. Been there--done that, and in the case of AK--you've got a whole other range of variables to add to your learning curve (large, predatory animals; hypothermia; extreme weather; unpredictable weather [days and days of soaking rain]; bugs, unpredictable people (well, that's everywhere:unhappysmiley:), and the cost and time and energy to get to AK in the first place. (By the way, in AZ in the winter, it can get stinkin' cold at night, and I do mean c-o-l-d! Make sure you're ready for that as well, as in it's cold enough if you're caught out for some reason you can easily die from hypothermia, as in freeze to death.)

Most of the gold rushes in the past were possible because of the young people that did back-breaking work. And unless you have funds for large equipment, nothing's changed since the 1800's--there will be day after endless day of the hard work of digging and processing the dirt to meet or not to meet your quota (the happy exception will be if you go over your quota, and that will be a party time for you).

Terry has been extremely generous to you; so, if you want the opportunity to find out what prospecting was like in the 1800's, and still is like today, you've got a toe-hold offer.

If you've watched any of the "reality" gold shows on TV, you've seen them throw millions of dollars overall at the gold and many times with no predictable results; so, just scale the whole experience down to your miniaturized level, and realize that you'll have the same variables (equipment breakdowns, physical problems, problems with other people, supply problems, isolation blues and emotional issues, money problems, etc.) but on a much, much smaller scale as it relates to overhead and expenses, and you'll be psychologically ready. If you know what you're up against before you start, and you truly internalize it, it will steel you for the reality of your experience, regardless of what it is in reality, and then you can make the experience into something positive no matter the production outcome as it weighs up in the final tally in gold mass.

Am I trying to discourage you? Not at all, and I truly hope you succeed--with the understanding that getting gold has always been hard work--but I'll tell you this in all honesty--there's nothing that I love more, when it comes to outdoor pursuits, than chasing the gold--nothing. And, there's nothing like finding your first few flakes, then your first nugget, then you're first patch of nuggets--it just doesn't get old seeing the flash of long-hidden color--the golden epiphany you'll experience anew each time, if you so wish.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donovan, as to my PM to you, I see that you've found someone that's willing to help you out. I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that's it's incredibly hard work to get gold. When they say you'll be sweating--that's no understatement. You'll drag yourself into that trailer every night for the first while with screaming muscles, and you'll kind of drop dead into bed until you're up early to stay with that 3/4 ounce possible quota you've set for yourself. Long days will be your norm.

It's always been lots of hard work, but you're young, and if you're truly ready for the reality that you may work a month and not get your quota, that's a good way to be realistic about what you're up against. It will be a great experience for you to harden you for any other later prospecting experience, such as was mentioned in an earlier post, like going to AK. Been there--done that, and in the case of AK--you've got a whole other range of variables to add to your learning curve (large, predatory animals; hypothermia; extreme weather; unpredictable weather [days and days of soaking rain]; bugs, unpredictable people (well, that's everywhere:unhappysmiley:), and the cost and time and energy to get to AK in the first place. (By the way, in AZ in the winter, it can get stinkin' cold at night, and I do mean c-o-l-d! Make sure you're ready for that as well, as in it's cold enough if you're caught out for some reason you can easily die from hypothermia, as in freeze to death.)

Most of the gold rushes in the past were possible because of the young people that did back-breaking work. And unless you have funds for large equipment, nothing's changed since the 1800's--there will be day after endless day of the hard work of digging and processing the dirt to meet or not to meet your quota (the happy exception will be if you go over your quota, and that will be a party time for you).

Terry has been extremely generous to you; so, if you want the opportunity to find out what prospecting was like in the 1800's, and still is like today, you've got a toe-hold offer.

If you've watched any of the "reality" gold shows on TV, you've seen them throw millions of dollars overall at the gold and many times with no predictable results; so, just scale the whole experience down to your miniaturized level, and realize that you'll have the same variables (equipment breakdowns, physical problems, problems with other people, supply problems, isolation blues and emotional issues, money problems, etc.) but on a much, much smaller scale as it relates to overhead and expenses, and you'll be psychologically ready. If you know what you're up against before you start, and you truly internalize it, it will steel you for the reality of your experience, regardless of what it is in reality, and then you can make the experience into something positive no matter the production outcome as it weighs up in the final tally in gold mass.

Am I trying to discourage you? Not at all, and I truly hope you succeed--with the understanding that getting gold has always been hard work--but I'll tell you this in all honesty--there's nothing that I love more, when it comes to outdoor pursuits, than chasing the gold--nothing. And, there's nothing like finding your first few flakes, then your first nugget, then you're first patch of nuggets--it just doesn't get old seeing the flash of long-hidden color--the golden epiphany you'll experience anew each time, if you so wish.

All the best,

Lanny

Hey Lanny yes I am ready and physcologically prepared. When i first got the gold fever a few years ago i drove out to california and spent 21 days and only got 3.5 grams and I busted my butt from the time i woke up to the time i went to sleep. I did realize after 7-10 days my muscles finally got use to all the digging and it became easier for the muscles but still very tiring. I love the hard work. Also it is awsome when you find a few flakes decent size it makes it all the worth while. I didnt even come close to covering the gas costs maybe the food costs and a little gas i think i cashed in like 240 around that number because i had another few grams of gold sitting around. I also spent 12 days in colorado and came home with .6 grams so i know all about working hard and not meeting the 1 gram a day quota i thought i was gonna get haha. Of course those were my first two noobie trips and i was not digging the way i should have been and i was processing a ton of garbage dirt on the top not realizing i had to go down near bedrock so i learned lol! Then i headed back to cali last year with my dad and we hit the bear river up which was not the best of choice because of the small amount of gold there plus my dad had the gold fever and wanted to stay at the campground. We were seeing lots of gold in the sluice and thought we were gonna have 7 grams when we processed the dirt back in michigan but i knew it was all small small flour gold and it wasnt gonna be as much as we thought at first and i guessed 4 grams was gonna be our total but in reality we processed just under a gram haha so i know about hard work and getting skunked. Not fun to get skunked but im learning and havent had anyone like Terry say hey i will show you the ropes and teach you so i have learned the hard way but I am glad i have went 3 times out west because i learned alot and that led me into more research. Im ready to give it a run at AZ and learn from the pros! Maybe someday i will be able to show someone else what ive learned and point them in the right direction as well and give back what i have been givin. Im excited to go to AZ and learn and work hard. Thanks for all the helpful insight Lanny! Maybe one day ill see you in Canada haha! I do want to pursue this full time because i do enjoy breaking my back everyday knowing i put a hard workful day in and a little gold always is a bonus!.

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donovan, Are you a MASSOCHIST? You will be staying in my RV. All you need to bring is personal clothing and toiletries. We have all the equipment you will need. Ha ha. If you think this is a dream, wait till you start sweating. Collecting 3/4 ounce of gold will make you SWEAT. Yet, I think you will enjoy yourself. We will talk again. TTC

Hey Terry haha i am not a qualified massochist but the girlfriends ive had in the past never complained when they got a massage. I am reading to get to work. Ive been itching to sweat for the gold haha. Im ready! Ok i will bring clothes and toiletries. So i shouldnt bring my detector then? I think i posted this question on the other forum so whatever one you answer first no need to respond twice. Im unemployed currently so ya im ready to dig dig dig and dig some more. Talk soon
Don

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the best with your efforts Don. It sounds like you already know what you're up against, and it sounds like you've got your head in the game. I don't think I'd have done you a favor by not letting you know about the hard work, but since you've already had a taste, and since you're ready to have at it again, I'm sure you'll learn a lot of valuable things from Terry, and you'll do nothing but add to your reservoir of knowledge.

I really hope you hit a nugget or two while you're in the desert--that desert gold is uniquely beautiful. As I said earlier, there's nothing outdoors I love more than chasin' the gold--it's the chase that never gets old.

All the best, and one day we may get a chance to chase some sassy northern gold,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don, if you have a favorite detector, bring it. I also have three at the RV you can use. Two gold and one all-around. We will send you home with pics of you in a ghost town, gold mine, and gold fields. Oh, and you will go home with GOLD! I hesitate to call it a trip of a lifetime because you will be back. TTC

OP
OP
K

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, if you have a favorite detector, bring it. I also have three at the RV you can use. Two gold and one all-around. We will send you home with pics of you in a ghost town, gold mine, and gold fields. Oh, and you will go home with GOLD! I hesitate to call it a trip of a lifetime because you will be back. TTC

Hey Terry I do have a detector but probably nothing as good as you have. I have a tesoro compadre and it will pick up nuggets but its not a dedicated gold finding machine. I might not want to come back to michigan haha! I look forward to all the adventures with you guys! If i come back with pictures and some gold my and show my dad which has gotten gold fever when i came back with some gold from california he might have second thoughts on going to california and then he might want to head to AZ haha. It sounds like a great time with you guys out in the gold fields. I am excited and still looking for a decent cheap round trip flight. Ill let you know when i get my plane ticket. Should i bring my tent? I have a lot of questions but im just trying to get a picture of what ill need because when i get there id like to be prepared. Im ready to shove shove shovel! Talk soon Terry!
Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread