Burried Gold

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've heard that back in the day miners would sometimes stash their gold somewhere or bury it out in the woods so nobody would find it. And sometimes they would die or get killed by somebody so nobody would ever know about it. Anyone ever find a stash like that while metal detecting? Sounds like a cool thing to look for but I wouldn't know where to start looking..

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N8 - I believe in stashes - never found one. Kuger found an awesome gold coin "in a little saddle" on the way to someplace. Check his posts if you haven't
already seen it. I found a three hundred lb safe once in the forest - empty.:BangHead:

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah,
They are out there! One was found not too long ago in Arizona. Guy was detecting on the middle of the road to an old camp and found a old rusty tobacco tin full of nuggets.
Look around where the miners lived!

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes they are out there as stated. Hemisteve was right on it. (Tabacco tins ) In 20 years of detecting and 35 years of small scale mining , I have found 2. I dont have a problem saying how.. They were both in hand stacked rock walls. Not chinese stacked rocks but walls stacked by a homesteader lining a property. A great friend / mentor of mine ,now deceased was a child back in the turn of the century, and grew up in the mountains of California. He gave me great hints as what to look for when looking for troves like this. Many prospector or homesteader didnt bury his stash out or eye view of his front porch or his immediate home. that has been the best clue I have used. But 2 in 35 years ? I still do look.
Others find them and stay hushed. I cant say exactly where for obvious reasons. My finds were'nt epic but very cool. Total of 3 small nuggets , 1880 $5 gold piece, and some silver coins , a gold locket and a silver cross. Not worth thousands but priceless to me. These finds I wont ever sell.
Both finds were in Prince Albert tobacco tins. Go figure.
With this info its a place to start.
Tree stumps /root bases ..search these too , but not any base/ stump. its got to be old . really old. most of the trees in western forests werent here 125 years ago. another clue.
I still search old tree bases with Pulse detectors and deep mono coils and havent scored on one yet. The stuff is out there.
Banks were too far away , and could be robbed. They hid their gold and $$$ where they could watch it.
Have fun dream big . I still do. Dig holes. Fill them in . Good luck.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an empty safe once in the middle of nowhere too:dontknow: also Near Lone Pine CA. I found a shovel under a remote overhang Dated 1933....awesome so I decided to dig under it....right away...Mason jar....Im pretty excited......pull it out....empty....dang it....I found seven in the same hole all empty and with the lids on??????

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An empty safe . Woah !!.. That would get my heart racing if I started to un-earth something like that. I have found empty mason jars too, They were behind stacked rocks 10 feet inside a portal we had opened and shored up. there was about 9 total all empty. Lone Pine is that in / near Sequoia NF ?

I still find strange relics in strange places. (Lots of Pick heads, hammer from a pistol, Mid evil looking dental type tool. etc.. )

Its been at least 11-12 years since the last cache I found. Im due again I think.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The last time I was in the deep North, the local miners told me two stories of lost caches--the one is a fortune in mined placer, and the other is a very nice haul. The problem is no one has found either of them, or if they did, they're staying awful quiet about it. Yes, there's still gold to be found, and it was nice enough of someone else to do all of the hard work of mining it out. I've yet to get into cache hunting, but it does fire the imagination.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An empty safe . Woah !!.. That would get my heart racing if I started to un-earth something like that. I have found empty mason jars too, They were behind stacked rocks 10 feet inside a portal we had opened and shored up. there was about 9 total all empty. Lone Pine is that in / near Sequoia NF ?

I still find strange relics in strange places. (Lots of Pick heads, hammer from a pistol, Mid evil looking dental type tool. etc.. )

Its been at least 11-12 years since the last cache I found. Im due again I think.

My empty safe was near Malakoff S.P. lying on a steep slope and only covered by forest duff. No fancy decorations, otherwise would have tried to salvage
it. Still there. I think Lone Pine is on 395 on Nevada side of Sierra, near Mono Lake.

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay , Lone pine . I havent been down that way in about 6-7 years . It's where I thought it was. I guess I could've Google mapped it.

As far as Malakoff goes , I'm very familiar with that area. Never stummbled on anything like that . They did have a good amount old infrastructure , out buildings etc , back in the day out there. I could see something like that ending up in the forest.

Those not familiar with this place , it was a huge, very rich Hydraulic diggings outside the town Allegheny California. It is now a State Park , hence no detecting "allowed" . ; )

image-41558810.jpg

image-667068642.jpg

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay , Lone pine . I havent been down that way in about 6-7 years . It's where I thought it was. I guess I could've Google mapped it.

As far as Malakoff goes , I'm very familiar with that area. Never stummbled on anything like that . They did have a good amount old infrastructure , out buildings etc , back in the day out there. I could see something like that ending up in the forest.

Those not familiar with this place , it was a huge, very rich Hydraulic diggings outside the town Allegheny California. It is now a State Park , hence no detecting "allowed" . ; )

View attachment 727920

View attachment 727921

Nice pics! - Wish I had a nickel for every oz. of gold they got.:laughing7: P.S. There's still hundreds of lbs of mercury laying in
the river below this pit. The enviros want to dredge it now that the dredgers are gone.

Last edited:

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a good amount of mercury dispersed around the property. Those areas are cordoned off.

I'd be more than happy to drop a couple 6" dredges in there to "help" out . Dont think I've never thought about that. Fire up the Retort !

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a good amount of mercury dispersed around the property. Those areas are cordoned off.

I'd be more than happy to drop a couple 6" dredges in there to "help" out . Dont think I've never thought about that. Fire up the Retort !

If you pose as a non-profit and ask for tax money, your chances are real good. If you volunteer to pick up the mercury for free and just keep the gold,
the enviros will burn you at the stake - today's times, go figure.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
N8 My friend and his brother was helping their father tear an ole chicken barn down for the lumber and my friend was diggin in a corner of the barn inside and found a jar with about 20 gold coins in it of all denominations . I live in SW. Missouri and we have lots of civil war fights etc here, Can you imagine the thousands of people that lost and buried stuff around this great land.I been cache hunting for 42 yrs adf found a few small caches but it didnt matter how much was in them as the excitement was a killer. There must be millions buried in this united states. rwd mo

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you find a old cabin or foundation still intact simply look out the door or window hole as at least 80% stashes were within eyesight--or gun range--to protect. Old post holes are a good one and outhouses-yep nasty ol'thangs but who is a gonna go kaka diving lookn' so they used them too. Rafters in barns,root cellers,loose rock in a foundation and on and on sooo cool-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes Lone pine is on hwy395 right at the base of Mt. Whitney and about 20 miles west of the edge of Death Valley Monument...in the Owens Valley in between the Sierra and Inyo mt ranges....I lived there for five years on a ranch that was homesteaded in the late 1800s....there is soooooooooooooooooooo much history out in the rocks and sagebrush it is rediculous.....I barely scratched the surface of the covering of the surface....The Inyo Mountains and to the north the White mountains are a desert prospectors dream...we found a lot of gold in the washes and there is an anchient river exposed in some of the gullies and canyons that is insanely rich some of the claims that come up for sale in that area go for 15k plus and they arent scams

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out the book about find caches by Charles Garrett, it's a good one.

bottolfsonr

Sep 28, 2012
new richmond, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N8Longly said:
I've heard that back in the day miners would sometimes stash their gold somewhere or bury it out in the woods so nobody would find it. And sometimes they would die or get killed by somebody so nobody would ever know about it. Anyone ever find a stash like that while metal detecting? Sounds like a cool thing to look for but I wouldn't know where to start looking..

Think of it as if, if I were going to hide something where would I hide it. I'd want to remember the spot. So great places to look. Water falls, rock formations a tree that stands out from the others.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thirty years ago, a family friend, while demolishing a old family homestead to make way for a new residence. Was knocking down a old chimney with a backhoe, discovered 2 five pound coffee cans full of twenty dollar gold pieces. Apparently put back there in the day by his grandfather. I always have fond memories of him at our house. He was a cattleman, and sometimes would wear a belt and buckle adorned with gold pieces, a money clip, hat band, bolo tie you name it... Those were the days. He had some old Chinese workings on the homestead, and I remember going up and digging some great old bottles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread