GMT Sierra Hotfoot coil

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any of you GMT guys / gals swinging this little 2 x 9 Hotfoot coil ? They havent been made for a while but I swear by mine . Love to hear your experiences with it . The thing is dynamite for shallow or bedrock detecting. And it's waterproof.
I had mine out today and subject came up from a friend who stated he'd never seen one except for mine . I reassured him they are out there,

image-863038084.jpg

Upvote 0

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for one a long time ago for my Goldmaster. You don't see them for sale very often.
How deep does it go?

OP
OP
Ca70

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This may sound cliche , but it depends on the ground . I usually only deploy it in around bedrock or false type bedrock. Best I can say is i pulled a 3.2 Gm nugget at about 4.5 inches in moist soil that was running a little hot. It sounded off nicely. I was following bedrock up out of the water way. It shines on small stuff shallow. It will pull pickers at .1 - .2 grain all day at or near to the surface if the soil allows . they dont scream though .Just a change in threshold .deeper gravels I get a different coil or detector.
Bottom line .. Ive never tested it in mineralized ground on a known target against another coil. I dont think it will punch as deep as the stock or larger coil .I DO know it will find smaller gold than any other coil on any other detector I own. It is feather lite and really fits into tight spaces great. It also is hot on the head and heel , making it nice for pinpointing.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.1 .2 grains....?

OP
OP
Ca70

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes. Like I said they do not scream at you , just a "wobble" in the threshold. And they gotta be at the surface, and the ground cant be too 'hot'
When I first had this detector and coil I did not pick up on these real small pieces. The better I got to know that detector and it's " subtle sounds, the frequency of real small finds goes way up. Those little pickers end up being the bread and butter of my finds . Ultimately the ground has to cooperate though.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have founds peices that will not move the scale with that hotfoot, use it with the GM3, if ya can get the shooter coil for the GMT it's almost all i ever use, find a patch, set up the dry washer

OP
OP
Ca70

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Jim.

As long as I've had that detector I never bought the shooter for the GMT .I think I was just stubborn, Friends swore by theirs. I have the one for the MXT. (That's another thread though) Ive used a friends shooter coil on their unit and it seems great. I did notice that it doesn't false quite as much as the Hotfoot can.
I think I see a $150.00 purchase in my future.

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been looking for one of those coils for my GMT also. Jimmy Sierra used to sell them on his website, but now all he carries is TDI accessories.

OP
OP
Ca70

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nuggetshooter323 said:
I've been looking for one of those coils for my GMT also. Jimmy Sierra used to sell them on his website, but now all he carries is TDI accessories.

There is a guy out my way who I purchased mine from back when. He has worked with Jimmy Sierra ,and may stumble on a Hotfoot now and then . His name is Greg he's ex- LE and a real nice guy. He knows his stuff. http://www.goldenstatemetaldetectors.com/ . Might be worth a try.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the hotfoot is a little fussy when scraping the ground, but works great. for a small coil on the GMT get the shooter coil, since the the hotfoot is out of production.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got the shooter, but having the longer ends you can stick further up under rocks and in crevices just might make the difference in some conditions.

the hotfoot is a little fussy when scraping the ground, but works great. for a small coil on the GMT get the shooter coil, since the the hotfoot is out of production.

OP
OP
Ca70

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the main reasons I like that little coil . It does poke into some real tight spots . The very nose and heel of it are almost twice as sensitive as the rest of the coil.

I did pick up a used Shooter for my GMT the other day from a friend . I'd like to compare the two under field conditions .

Last edited:

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would love to get my hands on one..

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ca70,
We would certainly enjoy your comparison of the Shooter to the Hot Foot! I have the shooter on my GMT and it is about all I use anymore. I like using the shooter with higher settings from the presets (I know Jimmy does not like them called presets but it fits) and along with the settings I use the Grab Button to confirm good targets. It takes some testing but put all together it works well..........................63bkpkr

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got to admit, I've been putting off but now I got the itch to make my next purchase a Nugget Shooter for my GMT. I've been hearing how great they fit in tight spots & picks up small grain stuff great. Don't get me wrong, the stock coil is good but as I'v heard it gives a edge to being a help pin pointing well as a coil before you whip out your hand held pinpointer.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got to admit, I've been putting off but now I got the itch to make my next purchase a Nugget Shooter for my GMT. I've been hearing how great they fit in tight spots & picks up small grain stuff great. Don't get me wrong, the stock coil is good but as I'v heard it gives a edge to being a help pin pointing well as a coil before you whip out your hand held pinpointer.

The stock coil is amazing for what it can do... But that 4x6 will hit on stuff the stock coil won't.. Depth is great for its size.. And if you can run @ max gain, You may end up panning the dirt to find the gold lol..

That's been my experience, i was digging behind a large chunk of bedrock a few weeks back, ran the GMT over it with the 4x6" didn't get a big hit, but multiple small noises, after manual ground balancing a few times it was still sounding off, (no zip just threshold) switched to Auto tracking, and they were somewhat gone.. So I figured it must be fine gold,

Results
small gold.jpg

Anyway that's what it CAN do... what it can't do is punch 12" down and find that nice little 2 gram nugget lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread