New to the forms and just getting started.

Rippin Lips

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2013
Hello to everyone, my name is James and I'm new to metal detecting for gold.

At the beginning of last summer I purchase a White's GMT that came with headphones as well as a Falcon MD 20 for $600. Since then I have been out detecting about 5 time in Trinity County. Douglas City, Weaverville, and Helena area. Found a lot of Bobby pins, iron, lead sinkers, hooks, a few coins, bird shot, old nails, the list goes on but no gold yet. I've done a lot of research but still have a lot to learn.

I was hoping someone who has detected in the trinity county area could give me some pointers. I plan on braving whats left of the snow in the Helena area some time this week unless someone has other recommendations.

I've noticed a lot of helpful information on this site and it looks to be a great group of people. Im looking forward to talking to some new people.

-James

Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
James... welcome to the forum. You've got good equipment, think about joining some local clubs to get acquainted with local prospectors and gain some experience. Good luck and HH... :thumbsup:

Jim.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello James and welcome! Be sure to read Lanny's thread on metal detecting for gold in bedrock as every word of it is correct and true. I know this as I've tried it with my GMT on bedrock and there is gold there. The MD should be a great help in locating gold after the GMT has told you it is there. Jim is correct about clubs and information though do not expect anyone to take you out to where they are finding gold. This is not easy work and be careful you do not tear yourself apart with a big pry bar moving boulders! I will be having shoulder surgery soon and I suspect that my shoulder problems started from moving boulders with a bar. Best of luck............63bkpkr

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those loud clear zip-zip signals are not usually gold (because nuggets are rare) but you have to dig em all just to be sure except for the high probability of iron ones.

Do not ignore the faint barely audible zip signals, because tiny gold is more common and may be found by listening carefully for the sleightest change in tone from the threshold. (deep nuggets may also be found that way)

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome James! - you should select trinityau posts and read all of them as he full of valuable info on Weaverville area.
Matter of fact he just made a post on "prospecting" under "Can You or Do you...?" thread, which you should definitely read!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread