HUGE nugget!

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like a foot to go with the million-dollar "hand of faith" nugget, also from down under -- now at the Golden Nugget. HOF.jpg

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometimes the most extraordinary things can happen just by getting into the field, even for newcomers to the hobby. Newbies aren't experienced enough either to know they're "wasting" their time hunting in a given area or not to dig some types of signals "sure" to be iron or other junk targets. It happened to me the first year searching silver here in Canada in a small way, and I witnessed it first hand years later. I'd bought a coin hunter unit cheap for a friend... who promptly went out and found a 27 lb chunk of silver.

One day, totally new to prospecting and to the area, I fired up my old Garrett ADS and 12" coil. At a site I was totally unfamiliar with, I walked directly down to the farther end of the tailings and swept the coil at about the 3 foot level maybe two or three times and got a signal. Reverse discrimination would not eliminate the signal so I dug it. Below is what I found... fact is sometimes stranger than fiction I guess... because I never found another piece in that spot after extensive detecting.

Jim.

2.8 LB SILVER NUGGET (YG-G).JPG

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beautiful, beautiful gold! Nicely done posting the pictures and links guys.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread