Gold within bedrock

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks,

While detecting along the Salmon River last summer, with a Gold Bug 2, I would be detecting various likely spots (cracks and depressions) and would occasionally get a good, sharp signal in a very precise spot over smooth bedrock. These were very distinct small spots within bedrock with no obvious crack. I tried hitting the spot with a small sledge hammer with no results. Could it be there is gold trapped within the bedrock and I should try a hardened chisel to break it open? This is very hard bedrock by the way.

Thanks
Mike

Upvote 0

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I say destroy it!!! You just never know. I have spent some time on the Salmon river and I wouldn't have been able to leave untill I found out the source of the beep. I don't have any experience with a metal detector but my experience with the Salmon say's you might of passed up something good!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Que Lanny and some sassy nuggets........

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, sometimes the sassiest of nuggets are in the solid (to our eyes) bedrock. Thank goodness for detectors, and hammers,
and chisels. . . .

However, there could be a few things going on: you could be reading a hotrock, a piece of native iron, something else conductive, etc.

Check out my thread--it may answer a few questions for you.

Having said that, one of the best ways has already been suggested to you--bust that signal out and visually ID it.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike,up all along coffe/humbug and others in the Siskiyous you just tap tap tap for that hollow sound and that's where ya beat it to LL. That serpentinish schist folds,voids and dams and hides nice pockets OR nasty ol' hot rocks too. Use that iron disc to help eliminate-John

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there John, thanks for the info. That's exactly what I'll do. We have a lot of the serpentine over here in Del Norte County. Yes, the iron discrimination of the GB2 does work good.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread