Planning a trip and need some help finding a spot

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to be taking a trip with my 80 year old grandpa in April to do some metal detecting for gold. We had decided on northwest Arizona but now things have changed and we are having to cut out trip down to 6 days so a drive to Arizona is just too far from Arkansas. I was thinking maybe somewhere in Colorado instead. We don't mind joining an association like the GPOC to get away from public places to hunt. The main thing that is a must is we have to be able to ride ATV's wherever we hunt because my grandpa don't get around very well. I am open to anywhere within a 16 hour drive of northwest Arkansas. Any suggestions would be great.

Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
April is likely way too early to get into the Colorado Mountains (and if you think that your 80 year old grandpa is having trouble getting around at your low altitude, imagine how much harder it will be at 7,000 to 10,000 feet. Most of the claims you are apt to get access to are not legally open until around memorial day. My best nugget detecting areas are at around 9,000 feet (and higher) above sea level - these are going to have a lot of snow pack in April.

Breaking up frozen ground will be a challenge. Keep in mind that for every 100 trash items (Bird shot reads just like small gold. Bird shot is everywhere where I look) you might have a good target. It could easily be a 10000:1 ratio if you are in an unproductive location (very common), or your detector is not sensitive to 1/10 gram or less gold pickers.

Common Gold nugget detectors I see used successfully in Colorado (in no particular order): Whites GMT, Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Tesoro Lobo ST and Whites MXT. If you are not using a gold optimised detector, you will likely only dig trash. Make sure you are well practiced with your detector (soil is highly mineralized).

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did notice that several of them that I looked at didn't open un Memorial Day. I had initially looked at maybe Cache Creek but I don't think they allow ATV's. As far as detectors go my Grandpa has a Whites GMT and for now I am using a Minelab Xterra 705. I had also read some good reviews on some places in southern New Mexico but I don't that I like being that close to the Mexican border out in the middle of nowhere.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some pickers at Cache Creek, but you can't use an ATV. The air is very thin there at around 9500 to 10000 feet above sea level. Not open before Memorial day.

Most people dig and sluice there these days (they used to allow powered high banking, but not anymore - no gas or electric powered pumps).

Detecting might be good to the west near the parking area (its mostly uphill). Use a small coil - otherwise you won't get in and around the rocks.

It was originally worked as a hydralic claim - tons of rocks scattered. Most of the gold I have seen pulled out comes from digging down deep in the creek area. The gold tends to be very fine.

Some photos from a trip there in 2010 (it looks much flatter than it really is):

Attachments

• CacheCreek-1.jpg
    CacheCreek-1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 178
  • CacheCreek-2.jpg
    CacheCreek-2.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's another type of place, and a specific place to try. Mine tailings at old gold mines worked in the 1800"s, because they seperated the gold ore by hand. Also, I don't really like putting this one out for public view, but the the Ibex Mine at Leadville is a great place for detecting for specimen gold. Several multiounce gold specimens are pulled out of there every year, not counting the mine relics, and the rock hounders finding awesome mineral specimens.
If you go there or any place above 9000', make sure you bring about a case of water if you want to stay all day, you get tired and dry really fast. The Ibex is only about 20 minutes from town, but it's straight up the mountain at around 10,000'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to my Grandpa today and he verified that those elevations would pretty much mean he would die, he has congestive hear failure and has trouble breathing as it is. I guess for this trip I will have to look for less elevation. Does anyone have any input on some good locations in New Mexico like maybe the Lincoln National Forest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread