Gold Bug Pro & Royal Minning Pick

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After months of reading and asking many questions I have purchased a Fisher Gold Bug Pro from Chris Gholson over at Arizona Outback. Should have the MD in a few weeks as AO had sold out and waiting for new MD's to arrive. Today my new pick arrived. I have looked at Apex, Doc’s Bulldog, Hodan, Jobe, Boss Detector, etc. and I decided to purchase the Royal Manufacturing pick. It’s the first pick I have found and most likely due to the patent pending that the magnets are recess flush into the the backside of the head of the pick. Other picks have the magnets surface mounted with a metal ring welded around the magnet. The 18 inch Hickory handle is nicely fitted and the pick head has been heat treated to Rockwell Hardness of 50. Royal Picks have a lifetime warranty.

46176785.jpg

22540638.jpg

92382021.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice lookin pick. I broke the tip off of my last one, and hope to find something good at the gold and treasure show next month...

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats, its a great MD. :)

Pick up a nice plastic scoop too so that once you get what your looking for in the scoop you can put a little in your hand each time and pass the scoop over to coil to see if it is still in there. But you probably already did that. :P

The best scoop I have ran by is a hard clear plastic scoop at the 99.99 cent store, dunno if its at the dollar tree or 99 cent stores.
Jobe also makes a really nice scoop but it costs more.

Good luck and I hope you find something cool on your first outting. :)

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So how has the Royal Prospecting pick been working out for you. Been thinking about getting one myself but like to have a review of how the flush magnets are holding up. I was afraid they would come loose after some use.
Thanks

Update.
I decided to order one anyway from Gold Rush Trading Post and hope for the best. None of these picks are cheap but any means but hope Royal is a quality pick. I would have gone with the Apex but didn't like the way the magnets were attached to the head and I am thinking the flush mounted magnets may work better. Will try to give some feedback after I have used for awhile.

Update
Been using the heck out of it and know I made a good choice. Works great for breaking up hard soil and moving some material for the shovel to pick up. Well worth the $$ IMHO
Thanks for the input from AzViper and Relichunter1. Always good to hear from those with experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So how has the Royal Prospecting pick been working out for you. Been thinking about getting one myself but like to have a review of how the flush magnets are holding up. I was afraid they would come loose after some use.
Thanks

Update.
I decided to order one anyway from Gold Rush Trading Post and hope for the best. None of these picks are cheap but any means but hope Royal is a quality pick. I would have gone with the Apex but didn't like the way the magnets were attached to the head and I am thinking the flush mounted magnets may work better. Will try to give some feedback after I have used for awhile.

As you can see the plating has worn off and the magnets are still in place. Its the best pick for the money. Shows no sign of wear to the harden steel, the point is still like it was the day I bought it, minus the plating...

srtn.jpg

Last edited:

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a great pick and the magnets hold up..and best of all Royal picks are warranted for life. If it breaks ship it back and get a new one. I just received their 36 inch picks. Much longer and heavier, but easier on the back.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easier on the back is always a good thing. Updated my earlier post also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread