The Falcon MD20 Demonstration...and Question...

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a question about the Falcon MD20, a small handheld metal detector with roughly a one-inch diameter coil and operating at 300 kHz. It is used to sample for very tiny gold that could or would otherwise be overlooked.

Falcon MD20.JPG

It is able to differentiate at least some hotrocks and magnetite from gold. I don’t own one and don’t know if the unit can be adjusted to differentiate the entire possible range of non-conductive iron mineralized hotrocks… magnetite down to maghemite... from gold… or if it is limited to the magnetite range. Can anyone owning this unit comment?

Rob does a great job of demonstrating the Falcon MD20 at the link below… the part specifically about the Falcon MD20 begins at about the nine minute mark...

How to Process Gold Concentrate

Jim.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,
That was an interesting video that has left me with a few questions.

Might you be able to share the settings on the GMT at the time we saw it being used?

The tiny piece of gold found with the MD 2020, you had it in your hand and waved the GMT coil over it and the machine sounded off. Did you happen to wave the coil over it when it was not in your hand? If so the result was?

Some videos on You Tube run for a bit, stop, then start up, then stop, etc. while the one you posted just kept on running without any stops. What is the difference between the two types of cameras or what type of camera produces the continuous running video and do you recall the brand/model of the camera being used for that video? Seems I'm interested in a video camera now that they are quite small but still want to purchase one with some good quality to it and the videos taken with it.

Many Thanks,................63bkpkr

Sorry 63, but again, not my video, just a good one. I'll email one of the fellas and see if I can get those answers, but it might be faster to comment https://www.youtube.com/user/mcgator51 and see if Mike can tell you.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to have to try that. The only things I can imagine that would make a difference would be positioning of the gold in the black sand matrix in relation to the detector coil or probe of the MD-20, and the amount of black sand.

Nuggetshooter323... it would be interesting to check the response to a small nugget placed in a bed of black magnetic sand... you may have a very good point there.

Jim.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Thanks Jim. I have more or less met you on Steve's forum and it's always a pleasure to hear what you have to say. After watching an MD20 in person I'll have one myself not too far down the road.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nuggetshooter323... you’re right… and it might be expecting too much from the unit to deal with that harsh mineral scenario.

Doug… yes I thought your name was familiar from over at the AMDS Adventure forum. I’m going to miss that forum… we had a good mix of hobbyists, geologists, mining engineering types, and successful miners. I’ve formed some friendships over several years there and things won’t be the same without that regular contact.

As to the Falcon MD20… it looks to be a useful tool for checking concentrates, suspect rocks, or working bedrock crevices. The guys who’ve replied to this thread have given me some very good advice based on their collective experience. I’m satisfied with this thread and thank everyone for their contributions. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Jim, I'm pretty sure everyone from the alaska forum will migrate to the new ICMJ forum when it's up and going. This is also one of the best forums so people will move around but I believe they'll all be here somewhere. As to the Falcon. I want one for checking bedrock like you said.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim, I'm pretty sure everyone from the alaska forum will migrate to the new ICMJ forum when it's up and going. This is also one of the best forums so people will move around but I believe they'll all be here somewhere. As to the Falcon. I want one for checking bedrock like you said.

I'll monitor the new ICMJ forum initially to see whether I'm interested in participating... and to what extent. The AMDS forum will be difficult to emulate with respect to topic variety, technical knowledge, wide range of contributors, and overall administration. I'm not terribly interested in learning more about the commercial aspects of gold mining and that may comprise an important role on the new forum... we'll have to see.

But more important... this is a good active forum with a strong membership, and there's a good mix of new and experienced members to keep things interesting. There’s an unmistakable comfort level here, particularly with the core group of guys from the Southwest. As a hobbyist… I see no good reason to hang my hat elsewhere... this will be my primary forum. :)

Jim.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds good to me.

Thanks Doug for taking some time to get acquainted. I've enjoyed these discussions with you... and because this is my thread I've conferred "likes" accordingly. I hope there will be more such discussions in the future... I think we can both agree that it certainly doesn't hurt to make time for conversation. And this topic was a nice change from the usual (but necessary) repetitive discussions about current gold detectors.

I don't know about your area, but spring is definitely here... thank goodness!! Mild and raining again tonight... woo-hoooo!! :)

Jim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread