Whites GMZ

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great machine. I like the GMT better.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a write up on the GMZ from Golden State Metal Detectors in Foster City, CA:

Goldmaster GMZ: For the price point of under $500.00, performance comes closs to the GMT and will cut right through the Alkalai ground due to it's expanded ground balance range. Easy to adjust Ground Balance System and Silent Search with Loud Alert on Sub-grain gold nuggets. Also Ultra Lightweight and the Target Response that Jumps out will AMAZE. I've also used it a Salt Water Beach with good results, something the GMT won't be able to match because it's reactive to wet salts.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's some more from the same source:

Fisher Gold Bug II, currently made in China but quality control standards still prevail as if it were made in the USA. Its 72 kHz is a bit High for its current design but it is among the smoothest manual ground balancing detector optimized for Gold on the market today. Fisher wrote the book on the 1980s by coming out with the 20 kHz Gold Bug One that set the Standard. The Gold Bug II still hangs in their but better technologies are competing against it, like the Gold Bug Pro. Teknetics has a sister unit, the G2 that employs the larger Wide Scan 11" as a Standard Coil but I have not had
any previous experience with this unit.

Fisher Gold Bug Pro operates at under 20 kHz and features a Smaller Than average Coil at just under 6". Don't let a Small Coil fool you... although lacking area coverage, that coil can get in areas that large coils dare not go. The response on my Black Sand Puck Test was impressive and its Semi-Auto Ground Balancing works great. Caution however, it seems to be slightly speed sensitive so scan the ground slowly or Risk losing that nugget.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I am old-fashioned but I just have to have a threshold while nugget detecting. I know my machine is working listening to the threshold. The GMZ leaves me clueless. But that is nothing new!

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I am old-fashioned but I just have to have a threshold while nugget detecting. I know my machine is working listening to the threshold. The GMZ leaves me clueless. But that is nothing new!

I agree, I keep it low, but I like that background tone. After over 50 years it is hard to change.

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, Well my gold bug 2 and pro arrive Tuesday, so I think this machine will end up collecting dust..
but hey $250 .. couldn't say no.. And I agree with all of the above.. I really dislike silent running machines, anyway it'll give me something to play with this weekend :P

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing you can use the GMZ for is if you get a greenhorn to go out with you, that's a good detector to get their feet wet with.

Yeah, Well my gold bug 2 and pro arrive Tuesday, so I think this machine will end up collecting dust..
but hey $250 .. couldn't say no.. And I agree with all of the above.. I really dislike silent running machines, anyway it'll give me something to play with this weekend :P

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ditto. I had the GMZ and found gold in North Carolina with it. But it was just too automatic for my tastes. GMT or MXT are much better, but longer learning curves. (Not that much though.)

B

Brookie

Hey, I typed in GMZ on google and it brought me back here. I ended up selling my AT gold because my leg is kind of injured from hiking and I got a fair price. I've been looking into the GMZ. I like how there are only two knobs, i'm new to this and although I can figure out a few more knobs, I like less. What do you guys think about this, i'm definitely in the $500- price range? I saw that White's came out with a new detector with only one knob called the SST. I called them and they said its not for gold. They also said the GMT is older than the GMZ.

Would I definitely be best suited going for a 50 Khz detector rather than an 18 Khz? Thanks for the help, any other recommendations for gold detectors around $500?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know of a bunch of dry washers and all they use is the GMZ when prospecting new dry placer areas to run. These guys are real pros too.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto. I had the GMZ and found gold in North Carolina with it. But it was just too automatic for my tastes. GMT or MXT are much better, but longer learning curves. (Not that much though.)
That's funny, the GMT has the Auto ground ballance with grab button, the GMT has a easier faster ground balance which means the learning curve is more simple. I think you have it backwards my friend, Please excuse my post if it offends you, I just wanted to share info I know and not sound like a nit-picker. It's OK to reply with a counter oppinion if you feel you are right & I'm wrong my friend, Peace.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wife tested out mine yesterday for a few hours, she said it balances out small targets.. :| glad i only paid $250 for it... anyway fun toy.

B

Brookie

The coolest youtube videos I've seen are by OXYGEN365 using the gold bug 2. I don't really get it 72 kHz is the best right for the smallest? Why are the newer fisher ones about 20 kHz? For that matter most detectors are about 20 kHz. I'm leaning more towards Fisher but also am leaning towards the Gold Bug 2. Is going after the most kHz the wrong thing to do? It seems like the newer model would always be better because it is new and improved in a way. I'm lost but leaning towards the Gold Bug 2, how is it being such an advantage on small nuggets a disadvantage on bigger nuggets? Thanks I think i'm going with a GB 2 or a GMZ any other suggestions would be cool

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I adree with you, GMT is the way to go.
Don't call me a bummer but you can call me old fashion, I'll stick to American-USA made, I don't buy MD's Made in the Orient they are already wealthy from Americans buying their things, Peace Brother.

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The coolest youtube videos I've seen are by OXYGEN365 using the gold bug 2. I don't really get it 72 kHz is the best right for the smallest? Why are the newer fisher ones about 20 kHz? For that matter most detectors are about 20 kHz. I'm leaning more towards Fisher but also am leaning towards the Gold Bug 2. Is going after the most kHz the wrong thing to do? It seems like the newer model would always be better because it is new and improved in a way. I'm lost but leaning towards the Gold Bug 2, how is it being such an advantage on small nuggets a disadvantage on bigger nuggets? Thanks I think i'm going with a GB 2 or a GMZ any other suggestions would be cool

Key thing to remember with those videos is, he had cleared all the overburden down to bedrock, in a dry creekbed. can't stress this enough, these machines do not go deep.
I missed a .66 gram nugget yesterday with my gold bug 2, that my GMT JUST caught at less than 4 inches today in very! hot ground.. the higher the frequency the less depth you will get.

20kHz is more than enough for a GOOD VLF nugget shooter.

Gold bug Pro, Tesoro Lobo, White's GMT, Gold Bug 2.. I currently own them all and love them all... but lately the GMT is my weapon of choice, yet to find a machine with comparative ground grab technology. (autotracking sucks on small gold).. just keep in mind that success with a VLF means detecting the right places ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread