My First Nugget - I Have Named It - Banana Nugget

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yesterday was a bust as I really did not get to use my MD much. A friend of mine invited himself to go with me. I knew it was a mistake as there would not be much for him to do but to hang out and bother other members of the club. So to get him involved we decided to go crevicing with the crevice vac I built. We manage to suck up four 5 gallon buckets from bedrock and cracks in the rocks in about 9 hours. We move boulders and pried open crevices to reach the goodies inside. We panned maybe a 3rd of one bucket to see what we found. I recovered some really small flecks of gold to this point, but I have a lot of dirt to pan still.

I had Monday off and decided to go down to the claim area with only the MD. Below are the results after about one hour into the day. The nugget was found about 3 inches below the surface and about 4 feet from the bottom of a wash on the side embankment of the wash. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

bananagold.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the prettiest Banana I've ever seen! Well done!! Was this found using the Gold Bug?............63bkpkr

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is the prettiest Banana I've ever seen! Well done!! Was this found using the Gold Bug?............63bkpkr

Sorry... I mention MD but did not say what MD. Yes I used my recently puchased Fisher Gold Bug Pro.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Banana definitely fits it...congrats on the sweet find!
woot-035.gif

And even better, you found it with your new Gold Bug Pro! Can't wait to get mine on order,
and planning to get the 2 coil version to have a little more flexibility in hunting. Which coil were
you using when you found the nugget? Was it a solid signal, or fainter one?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fan-freakin' 'tastic!! Nicely done Viper.

I knew you had it in you--a genuine banana bonanza!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Banana definitely fits it...congrats on the sweet find!
woot-035.gif

And even better, you found it with your new Gold Bug Pro! Can't wait to get mine on order,
and planning to get the 2 coil version to have a little more flexibility in hunting. Which coil were
you using when you found the nugget? Was it a solid signal, or fainter one?

I was using the 5 inch coil. Although it’s small and does not cover a large area it has its benefits where a much large coil would get hung up. I found I was able to stick the coil into brush without getting the coil caught. At 1 gram the hit was very strong and the dirt that the Banana was in was very hard. Where it was located and the looks of the nugget suggest that it was not brought to its final resting location by turbulent waters. I do not know how the nugget was laying as I completely unearth the nugget before seeing it on the 2nd penetration from my Royal pick.

Back when I was deciding on a metal detector it was Ray Mills (trinityau) who really got my attention. I pm Ray and then we talked by phone a few times. Ray is very dead set on the 5” coil and he likes the 10 inch elliptical coil of which I will add to my arsenal someday but I have plenty to learn with the 5 inch coil.

If you are buying a GBP you are getting the latest that technology offers. I was leaning on the Tesoro built here in Arizona but I felt that the technology behind their product was old. Also Dave Johnson (screen name -woof!) in these forums is the designer of the GBP and I was able to ask Dave a question about the coil cover.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woooo-Hooooo! Happy dancing for you in New York - Congratulations!!!! :hello2: :icon_thumright:

PS - Dave also designed the Tesoro Lobo ST.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome nugget! I think there are more in your future. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Woooo-Hooooo! Happy dancing for you in New York - Congratulations!!!! :hello2: :icon_thumright:

PS - Dave also designed the Tesoro Lobo ST.

Terry,

I am aware that Dave J. designed the SuperTraq. I was just referring that the ST was released in 1989 and that technology has really changed over the years. I am sure the ST has received updates from its release date, but I grasp technology whenever I can. With the Gold Bug Pro using a single 9 volt battery is a plus over carrying 8 additional AA batteries. The lite weight of the GBP is a plus as well. Thanks again.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
63bkpkr, BravoWhiskey, DizzyDigger, Lanny in AB, Jim Hemmingway, Terry Solman, and NuggetShooter323, thank you for stopping by with your comments. Now that I got my first nugget let’s see if I can repeat. Metal Detecting is a lot like poker, you have to have some skill with both but you also have to have some luck. Luck was on my side when I step from my truck and walked in the direction I did. I almost walked an entirely different direction.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr, BravoWhiskey, DizzyDigger, Lanny in AB, Jim Hemmingway, Terry Solman, and NuggetShooter323, thank you for stopping by with your comments. Now that I got my first nugget let’s see if I can repeat. Metal Detecting is a lot like poker, you have to have some skill with both but you also have to have some luck. Luck was on my side when I step from my truck and walked in the direction I did. I almost walked an entirely different direction.

You mean you walked the opposite direction of the 1 ouncer? :tongue3:
Just kidding, thats a sweet nugget you found.

GG~

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent find! Hope to find my first out there sometime soon.

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AzVIPER, did the ferrous bars go two or below? Did the meter stay 40 to 100? Did the big number show an 8 to a 12? You did good, that is a nice nugget. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AzVIPER, did the ferrous bars go two or below? Did the meter stay 40 to 100? Did the big number show an 8 to a 12? You did good, that is a nice nugget. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Ray in the All Metal Mode the Ferrous meter registered 1 and in the Discrimination mode with the gain turned way up the big number above 50. As for the meter at the top I do not recall looking at it. Being a beginner hell I was digging everything. I uncovered a horseshoe nail, bird shot, wire, and lead bullets prior.

Last edited:

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
congrats, really nice nugget! hope i have the same success with my GBpro...

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to have a pendant made from the banana nugget and give the necklace to my mother-in-law. My late father-in-law was a GPAA member but never found anything. So to honor him I will give the banana away...

UDigIt

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to have a pendant made from the banana nugget and give the necklace to my mother-in-law. My late father-in-law was a GPAA member but never found anything. So to honor him I will give the banana away...

Very nice Viper find on that nugget. Your mother in law is lucky to have you as a son in law. Have you received your Royal dry washer yet? You had mentioned you were waiting due to the washer being on backorder.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ray in the All Metal Mode the Ferrous meter registered 1 and in the Discrimination mode with the gain turned way up the big number above 50. As for the meter at the top I do not recall looking at it. Being a beginner hell I was digging everything. I uncovered a horseshoe nail, bird shot, wire, and lead bullets prior.
Beginner? Dig everything? AZ, too many "oldsters" would find more gold if they went back to digging everything! Tnx for the pic... and nice piece. I have only found one nugget with my GB2 so it's about time for number TWO for me. TTC

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beginner? Dig everything? AZ, too many "oldsters" would find more gold if they went back to digging everything! Tnx for the pic... and nice piece. I have only found one nugget with my GB2 so it's about time for number TWO for me. TTC

Terry, Its hard not to dig everything but I have to put some trust in the ferrous meter. Sure I will still dig just to see but I will put the ferrous meter to use just to say, "It’s Iron but let’s dig anyways" Hell were not talking about moving a yard of dirt. The first day my head was buzzing. The club had a washer contest and here I was already to go. Headphones on and could not here a damn thing. Unplugged the phones I could hear the internal speaker. Then if I plugged the 1/4" plug partly into the meter it worked and worked in both ears. So I went on my way then it hit me like a Mack truck. I said, "What a fool I am" I recalled that the Sun Ray Gold Headphones had a polarity switch. Flipped the switch push the ¼” plug all the way into the jack and I was good to go. Then I realized I had to keep my buddy busy so the MD was put away.

I was very lucky in both trips south of Tucson. Each trip was 150 mile round trip on Sunday and Monday. On Tuesday the lower radiator hose split and I lost all water in a matter of a few seconds 1/2 mile from home. Had this happen down south my quad cap 4x4 Ram and I would have spent the night. So luck was really on my side. Thx for the comments Terry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread