Recommendations for a newbie

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I have been lurking for a long while. I am finally moving back to the Yukon next month. Currently living in Western Australia and have had the pleasure of using GPX5000 over a weekend and found my first nugget (0.3g).

Now I would love to have aML but can't justify the expense at the moment.

I am looking at either the GMT or the Gold Bug Pro (is the F75 worth looking at or just start with the TDI Pro). They all have their pros and cons. I would like to start a with a VLF and add a PI (TDI Pro or splurge on a GPX5000) further down the line.

I intend to use it for gold/silver prospecting (float tracking and known hard rock occurence areas) and relic/coin hunting. I will be focusing on Northern British Columbia (Atlin Area) and the Yukon. I always carry my trusty pan, pick and sample bags while in the bush.

Just looking for for something to tilt me either way. Depth, weight?
YKP

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're thinking of Atlin, you'll need a PI (Minelab models 2000-5000) to handle the extreme mineralization. I'm not sure about the Yukon, but there may be someone on here that's hunted the Yukon.

I've heard a lot of good about the Goldbug Pro, but it's a VLF machine. So, if you're in ground that's not too extreme, it would be a choice to consider for a nugget and coin machine.

It's very important that you understand the state of mineralization in the area you choose to hunt. That determines the machine you need to buy.

If you're going to Atlin--get looking for a used Minelab PI that fits your budget.

All the best,

Lanny

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had the GB Pro and enjoyed using it.
The learning curve is small, its super light, very loud and finds very very tiny targets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y
Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, I've read several geology reports on Atlin and most of geology reports in YGS Recent Publications - Energy, Mines and Resources - Government of Yukon. I guess the challenge is understanding what "very" mineralised soil is like as I have never used a PI or VLF in Canada. I am in Australia now and travel to the Pilbara for work. I've never seen redder soil rich in minerals (I've been to the Elko area in Nevada). My metal detecting trip in the Northern Goldfields was crazy, red soil, littered with quartz, banded iron and big chunks of hematite as far as the eye can see. Took me 3 hours to find my first nugget 0.3g (I was very happy), another guy found a 23g nugget at 3ft of depth, yet another fellow found a 66g at 2 ft in the same area, so I have real appreciation for the ML GPX5000. If I didn't hate the heat so much I think I would of spent most of my weekends in the outback.

I'm still leaning towards the Gold Bug Pro as my 1st detector but where would one buy used ML PI units in Canada just in case?

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies, I've read several geology reports on Atlin and most of geology reports in YGS Recent Publications - Energy, Mines and Resources - Government of Yukon. I guess the challenge is understanding what "very" mineralised soil is like as I have never used a PI or VLF in Canada. I am in Australia now and travel to the Pilbara for work. I've never seen redder soil rich in minerals (I've been to the Elko area in Nevada). My metal detecting trip in the Northern Goldfields was crazy, red soil, littered with quartz, banded iron and big chunks of hematite as far as the eye can see. Took me 3 hours to find my first nugget 0.3g (I was very happy), another guy found a 23g nugget at 3ft of depth, yet another fellow found a 66g at 2 ft in the same area, so I have real appreciation for the ML GPX5000. If I didn't hate the heat so much I think I would of spent most of my weekends in the outback.

I'm still leaning towards the Gold Bug Pro as my 1st detector but where would one buy used ML PI units in Canada just in case?

It's bedrock that's red hot dynamite for electronic interference. VLF's get eaten for lunch--completely and utterly. You need a Minelab PI with a DD coil if you seriously want to detect the bedrock in that area.

A lower-end PI will detect nuggets, but you won't have the flexibility or sensitivity of a Minelab.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y
Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lanny,

Thanks for putting me on to Atlin mineralisation. Here is a article on the Atlin area's mineralisation challenges using a SD2200 and the GP extreme (article from 1999-2000) Joey Field Reports

I might start convincing my finance minister on the merits of a GPX4500-5000. I'll call it my welcome back to Canada present!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread