What are the odds of getting permission to MD or pan on a Claim?

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold & Pro Pointer & Whites Prism II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, my brother and I went roaming around the foothills of the Sierrras looking for potential MDing sites. We drove along the 49 from Sierra to Jackson and spotted what looked like great sites to MD but of course they are on private land...permission needed. No worries; just note the site and ask permission.

As we traveled along the 49, north from Sonora to Jackson, we crossed a river called Mokelumne River. The section of the river we followed, was on BLM land. We spotted awesome spots to look for nuggets.:tongue3: But of course, we saw the Federal Mining Claim Signs. :BangHead:

I went down to one of the signs and checked it out. Company, address and claim number is provided. Walked around the areas and noticed recently dug pot holes. Clearly, there's gold in them there claims. Brother and I moved along and didn't break any laws by removing minerals and such. Too bad, because we could have had a field day up in them hills.

Anyway, my question is this...

What are the odds of getting permission for recreational MDing or panning on mining claims?
Has anyone had success on getting permission?

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"if finding gold was easy, everyone would be doin it". Same thing with getting permission - you have to be willing to take a lot of rejection. It takes more
than spotting a claimholder/property owner and hollering "mind if i do a little beeping?" Scores of personal letters, leasing documents, release of liability
papers, terms of payment, good faith deposits - these sound a bit much, but its common practice among businesses. Are you willing to go that extra mile?

OP
OP
EmptyPockets

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold & Pro Pointer & Whites Prism II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup.
Currently got a line on some property I'm trying to get permission to go around an out building. I'll probably get rejected, but I've enjoyed the research so far as I've learned about the community I live.

I do have permission to pan and detect on a claim up north of Redding, but I have to wait for the snow to melt then I will contact the claim owner and go get some mosquito bites. :tongue3:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are the odds? If the odds are 10%, ask at ten places to get a yes. Time consuming, yes. Frustrating, yes. Difficult, no. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread