Gold Bug Pro scores

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all, Well here's the story..

I recently just got myself a Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2, both great machines!.

took both machines out for a good run this weekend..

The Gold Bug Pro with the 5" DD snagged IMG0771.jpg this little guy 3.1 grains, It was about 5" down suck in a bedrock crack.. Gold bug 2 for some reason missed it completely. I take both detectors with me every time i go out, and check every target with both machines.

Gold bug 2 did hit smaller targets (tiny lead shot etc) at less depth that the pro only gave a stutter on every second swing or so... I did spend quite a bit more time fondling the GB Pro than i did with the GB2. So that could have something to do with the lack of good targets recovered by the GB2, (inexperience on my part) not a particularly complex machine, though the ground balance made me want to chuck it in the creek a few times, twitchy ******* thing.. Maybe its just the Australian soil... lol..

Gold Bug Pro.. I don't have any negative feedback on it so far.. other than it could use a 6.5" elliptical coil.. the ground grab is awesome, and added manual ground balance is again awesome.
sensitivity is right on, even on that tiny stuff you need a gold pan to flush out..

Anyway, just thought i would share my experience with the new machines..

more to come! i hope :)

Upvote 0

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
In regards to what Steve H said about having a hot machine! I have a GB11 and was really disapointed with its ablity to pick up any depth. So after taking a .9 gram nugget test it was only able to pick it up at 2 inches. I had a friend with the same machine and he brought it over and we took the same nugget and he was able to pick it up at 8-9 inches. We were thinking maybe I was tuning the machine wrong so he did the set up on both machines. Same results. So I called fisher and had planed to send it back to determin the problem. They said that if I sent it and if they were able to pick up gold with it they would just send it back and charge for handling and shipping. They advised not to send it back. So considering what Steve H said I am thinking it might be a dog, I know something is not right. My XLT will pick it up at 2 inches. We will now swich coils and see if that helps. Any suggestions apperciated.

Nice looking gold and congrats. Great post

Rutnbuck

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In regards to what Steve H said about having a hot machine! I have a GB11 and was really disapointed with its ablity to pick up any depth. So after taking a .9 gram nugget test it was only able to pick it up at 2 inches. I had a friend with the same machine and he brought it over and we took the same nugget and he was able to pick it up at 8-9 inches. We were thinking maybe I was tuning the machine wrong so he did the set up on both machines. Same results. So I called fisher and had planed to send it back to determin the problem. They said that if I sent it and if they were able to pick up gold with it they would just send it back and charge for handling and shipping. They advised not to send it back. So considering what Steve H said I am thinking it might be a dog, I know something is not right. My XLT will pick it up at 2 inches. We will now swich coils and see if that helps. Any suggestions apperciated.

Nice looking gold and congrats. Great post

Rutnbuck

Rutnbuck, What size is your coil?? 6" or 10"... Are we talking Air test?

Either way here's what i just did..

Gold Bug 2

SENS set to 8.5-9
Ground balanced to be hot on the down stroke.
Audio Boost Mode
Normal mineralization setting

Put a 1.07 gram nugget in a baggie, holes backfilled packed tight. depths 4" 6" 8" 10" --- Coils.. i own the 10" 6.5" and 14"

14" Coil

4" Solid Signal
6" Solid Zip
8" Faint signal, threshold dip
10" Nothing

10" Coil

4" Solid Signal
6" Solid Signal
8" Nothing
10" Nothing

6.5"

4" Solid Signal
6" Faint signal, threshold dip
8" Nothing
10" Nothing.

EDIT: Just an addition, with the 14" coil i can hit a 25.1 Gram nugget @ just over 12.4" Just tested, blew my mind! .. looks like i didn't need the GMT after all :(

Ask your friend if he will sell me his Machine! (joke) ... I can't get depth like that on a sub-gram nugget. but you really should be picking it up at more than 2"..

Anyway hope this helps... was a pain in the ass since its bloody raining...

- Aus

Last edited:

Rutnbuck

Jun 26, 2005
No. Utah
Detector(s) used
whites xlt, Goldbug2,
Thanks Ausgoldhunter. Yeah it was just airtest. our settings were similar to yours don't remember for sure but I know we run the sens up all the way in boost mode. The main thing is we couldn't get it to pick up more then a couple inches. Didn't measure it. Still the same I apperciate your imput that will give me something to work with. We have been in a nugget area where big and small nuggets have been found spent 4 days and no luck yet.
I can find gold with my sluice but notta with the detector and I know I have covered a lot of ground.

mthunter22

Apr 14, 2013
missoula,mt
Detector(s) used
minelab sd2100. whites gmt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am new here and enjoying your tests, i am in the market for a gold detector and am thinking of the gold bug 2 or the pro, i am in montana and want to be able to find smallll gold,i have a minelab 2100 that i have owned since they came out with the gpx ,i have found all sorts of things but no gold.. i have come to the conclusion that where i am detecting it is almost all small gold and am probably missing it,also my wife likes to detect old homesteads and such and digging old square nails one after the other gets old.so i was thinking that a metal discrimination mode that i could switch on and check the target would be a huge time saver.. i was leaning towards the gold bug 2 but this post has got me wondering if i am making the right choice,, also i have been researching the vista gold but had decided the gb2 would be the better machine over the gb pro or the vista because of the sensitivity to tiny nuggets.i figured if i had a detector for the small stuff that if i started finding gold i could go back over it with the 2100..from my research i have gathered that the pro is better for all around detecting but the gb2 will still get smaller stuff better,obviously this post says otherwise.. what all of your opinions? do you think this was a random happening or is the pro as sensitive to very very small gold? opinions please and look forward to all your new testing and info ,, thank you.

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i am new here and enjoying your tests, i am in the market for a gold detector and am thinking of the gold bug 2 or the pro, i am in montana and want to be able to find smallll gold,i have a minelab 2100 that i have owned since they came out with the gpx ,i have found all sorts of things but no gold.. i have come to the conclusion that where i am detecting it is almost all small gold and am probably missing it,also my wife likes to detect old homesteads and such and digging old square nails one after the other gets old.so i was thinking that a metal discrimination mode that i could switch on and check the target would be a huge time saver.. i was leaning towards the gold bug 2 but this post has got me wondering if i am making the right choice,, also i have been researching the vista gold but had decided the gb2 would be the better machine over the gb pro or the vista because of the sensitivity to tiny nuggets.i figured if i had a detector for the small stuff that if i started finding gold i could go back over it with the 2100..from my research i have gathered that the pro is better for all around detecting but the gb2 will still get smaller stuff better,obviously this post says otherwise.. what all of your opinions? do you think this was a random happening or is the pro as sensitive to very very small gold? opinions please and look forward to all your new testing and info ,, thank you.

I post in your thread. check it out.. GB2 is awesome, don't get me wrong when i say this, but.. after running around with my new Whites GMT for the past week, i believe it is by far the better machine... the GB2 will hit smaller gold, but for what you get.. the GMT is the better detector..

Anyway check out my post..

Will be doing some depth tests out at one of my nugget shooting locations. will post in my NEW GMT thread..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread