Best VLF Gold Detector for Mineralized Soil ?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My buddy wants to start going out to the desert with me more often and needs a machine BUT, does not want to invest in a PI machine just yet. I explained to him that a good VLF will still cost around $800.00 and have some limitations in the hot soil that I often swing through and he's OK with that. What I think he enjoys most is exploring and the quiet of the desert. I sure would appreciate some suggestions, thanks....Rob

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites GMT
Fisher Goldbug Pro
Tesoro Lobo Super Trq
Teknetics G2

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All of the above listed machines will do fine... Add to it the AT Gold *not the best but a good option* Whites GMZ if he would rather not go all in right away.

Whites GMT is most likely your best option, I would say the same about the Gold Bug Pro, but it is completely out of stock. even kellycodetectors are on backorder... I've pretty much called every Fisher Dealer in the US and can't get my hands on a second one.

Anyway hope this helps..

Whites GMT
Fisher Goldbug Pro
Tesoro Lobo Super Trq
Teknetics G2

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites GMT
White's MXT
Fisher Goldbug Pro
Tesoro Lobo Super Trq
Teknetics G2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank-you very much....Rob

neighbors75

May 5, 2012
Ironton, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX III,

Garrett Ultra GTA 1000,

Whites coinmaster classic.

Whites Coinmaster 2/D TR- Discriminator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello prospectors,

I assume that the detectors above are the latest and greatest, I suppose when you buy the best there is no learning curve, what about older detectors that
where the best of their times, many VLF's are out there and are really good. I believe that you could find a VLF or PI very reasonably in cost and when your friend hits a bonanza that pays for the latest and greatest then maybe consider today's best. my opinion.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Whites GMT is a very easy to use machine. as are the Gold Bug Pro.. Teknetics G2..

Ca70

Jan 9, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab GP3000, GP3500 , Whites MXT Pro, GMT , Tesoro Sand Shark, Fisher Gold Bug , Sun-Ray DX-1 probe, Falcon MD-20, Minelab PF-25
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whites GMT

Gold Bug Pro

Whites MXT. . In that order

My experiences may differ from others

Last edited:

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a bad assumption:

"hello prospectors,

I assume that the detectors above are the latest and greatest, I suppose when you buy the best there is no learning curve,"

Detecting for gold is much harder than detecting for coins - there are no 'standard sizes' of gold, and Gold detectors don't have elaborate Displays that tell you what the detector thinks it found when looking for Gold. On my GMT it tries to guess if the target is Iron or not, and even that lies to you on deeper targets. Lead Birdshot reads just like gold to my detector - as a result, you may dig hundreds of targets before you get any gold at all (if not thousands of targets). I use mine to find paystreaks (with a few larger pickers that the detector can locate), then run the material around them thru a sluice/Gold Cube set up.

Lots of small gold in one area does not read like a larger piece of Gold.

A good set of headphones are critical (I use Grey Ghost).

I strongly suggest that you find someone local to you that successfully gold detects and let them show you how things work. I do this for our GPAA club - I use many real gold samples that I have found to let people see what they are up against. You can be successful, but you have to find places that has gold that is detectable and lots of patience.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, the higher end the machine the higher and steeper the learning curve depending of course on ones abilities to use programs, readily adapt to menu's, easily grasp directions and such oddments. As has been suggested find folks in your area to become acquainted with this illness. Also the best detector in the hands of the highest quality detectorist can not find gold if the gold is not there. It Usually takes time and patience to find your first gold with a detector even if it is there. Panning is a good way to learn if there is gold in an area, the pan is inexpensive, does not require batteries, headphones, multiple coils and is light weight. I'm told there are a lot of detectors up for sale some that are nearly new and that should suggest that some purchasers may have thought finding gold was easy or that folks wanted to get in on this "gold finding bonanza" well, the truth is it takes work, time, expense, energy (that's being in good physical condition) and enjoying being out there long before finding nugget # one. Flakes and fines are somewhat easier to find IF a person is in the correct area. It is just like real estate location, location..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Herb, I wish you a speedy recovery....Rob

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hello prospectors,

I assume that the detectors above are the latest and greatest, I suppose when you buy the best there is no learning curve, what about older detectors that
where the best of their times, many VLF's are out there and are really good. I believe that you could find a VLF or PI very reasonably in cost and when your friend hits a bonanza that pays for the latest and greatest then maybe consider today's best. my opinion.

A new Fisher Gold Bug is only $499. What do you consider reasonable?

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh and someone made me aware of a new shipping policy by Fisher.. US dealers are not to ship Internationally.

So yeah shove it with walnuts Fisher :)

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All those detectors mentioned are not only the most effective VLF's out there, but they are the only VLF's worth going out into the field with. The question isn't weather you should go from sub-standard then move up to the "latest and greatest," it's weather you should start with a used version of one of those on the list or go with a new one. The market is full of older, and or used GMT's and pretty much all the way back to Goldmaster II's. There are used Lobo Super Traq's as well as the previous model, the orginal Lobo. There are almost new and used MXT's, new Gold Bugs, old Gold Bugs, and various incarnations of the X-Terra's. Some people like these older models better because they might have a feature that the newer models don't have. All of these older, used detector's will find gold just as well as the newer models, as long as they work correctly. The real question you should be asking is new or used?

hello prospectors,

Last edited:

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
G'day, well that's a good lot of fine machines; I have to include my Whites GM# and the V SAT.
I can not find any fault with them. Tried GB2 and V sat licked it in testing in warm ground [ Nor Cal] in a test bed.
The MXT will not beat them either.... Now, money wise, $350 for a good used GM3 or Vsat if you can find them
The headset I use came from Razorback coils, now owned by Minerjohn [ Paradise ca]
Have a great week......... B

rockpup1

Apr 2, 2013
Mxt with a 5"excelerator coil is very sensitive.flakes of gold.much smaller than my goldbug pro.plus ground track is very good.Willy swears by the Mxt .
I plan on getting another.the are also good 8" plus on coins with stock coil.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would like to get an MXT sometime, I borrowed one from a friend one time and loved it. A lot of people that have done some comparison testing with the MXT and other gold machines say the MXT is not as sensitive to sub-gram gold. When you say the 5" Excelerator is sensitive to flakes, is that flakes buried in a minerlized soil matrix, or an air test in a baggie? That distintion is important because if you swing a sub-gram piece of gold under a GMT, GB 2, or an MD-20, your going to get an indication off of the iron in the blood in your hand holding the nugget. Also air testing has no real life application. Nobody else has specifically said that they did their testing with the 5" Excelerator, I had always assumed they used the small Whites Shooter coil. The Excelerator might be more sensitive. I wish some of the after market companies would make some coils for the GMT.

Mxt with a 5"excelerator coil is very sensitive.flakes of gold.much smaller than my goldbug pro.plus ground track is very good.Willy swears by the Mxt .
I plan on getting another.the are also good 8" plus on coins with stock coil.

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of good chat on this topic about VLF's and mineralized soil Rob--let us know what you decide to buy.

All the best,

Lanny

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The X Terra 705 in prospecting mode with the 18.75 Khz coil is also a very good nugget shooter IMO. It also has a great ground tracking feature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread